I've signed up for TMobile and I have my Bold 9700 in my hands and working with a temporary number.

Now my verizon number is on my dads family share plan, and I want to port it to my tmobile account.

By doing this, is the contract for that line with verizon effectively cancelled? If so, I'd have to pay the $200 ETF, which in that case I'll just keep the temporary as my new permanent number.

Anyone have any insight for me?

PS: I LOVE my Bold 9700
    04-08-10 06:20 PM
    if you port your number to another carrier.. yes that will cancel the contract... the ETF may be less than that i suggest you cal VZW and if you are past your contract point there would not be an ETF unless you signed a new contract.
    04-08-10 06:31 PM
    well you could port it and still have another line that you don't use on VZW but you'd be paying it for nothing (or your dad would be). that may not cancel the contract. again contact Verizon customer support.
    04-08-10 06:32 PM
    well you could port it and still have another line that you don't use on VZW but you'd be paying it for nothing (or your dad would be). that may not cancel the contract. again contact Verizon customer support.
    well my dad is going to re-add another line for my little sister to use (which is why i got booted off the plan to begin with).

Maybe its possible they'll understand the situation and simply terminate the current contract and re-start a new one with an ETF
    04-08-10 07:11 PM
    sounds possible good idea and may be able to avoid the ETF again if i were you and had administrator abilities on you VZW account i would call and ask, if not you dad should call. doesn't hurt just to ask
    04-08-10 07:14 PM
    well my dad is going to re-add another line for my little sister to use (which is why i got booted off the plan to begin with).

Maybe its possible they'll understand the situation and simply terminate the current contract and re-start a new one with an ETF
    If this /\ is the case, then here is what you do-port your number over to the other carrier. This will cancel your account with an ETF. Then have your dad call in and have them reactivate the phone with a new number, this will reactivate the number and the ETF will be credited. Then your sister gets a new line( no upgrade, unless you're eligible) and you get out with no ETF. Your sister will have to activate an old device. If she gets a new line of service and you cancel your line, there will still be an ETF.
    04-08-10 10:13 PM
    If this /\ is the case, then here is what you do-port your number over to the other carrier. This will cancel your account with an ETF. Then have your dad call in and have them reactivate the phone with a new number, this will reactivate the number and the ETF will be credited. Then your sister gets a new line( no upgrade, unless you're eligible) and you get out with no ETF. Your sister will have to activate an old device. If she gets a new line of service and you cancel your line, there will still be an ETF.
    Wait, how can you reactivate the number if it has been ported to another carrier? Once the number is ported, the line on that account is cancelled. Or did you mean his dad can reactivate that line with a different number?
    04-08-10 11:22 PM
    You just re-activate. Numbers change all the time.
    It's your money they care about on the contract, not the number.
    04-09-10 01:03 AM
    i actually called verizon tonight and this is exactly what they told me to do.

basically, the number you end up porting is owned by both the porter and the portee carriers until your billing cycle is up for that month, at which point your number is officially released to the new carrier...

What I am to do is to port the number to TMobile, and then after about 2 days, which is after the number is working on tmobile (but before the billing cycle is up, because thats when the number is officially released), call verizon and CANCEL the port, but request a new phone number for that line.

At that point, my TMobile phone is working with my old number, but verizon has reactivated the previously used line with a new number, so technically speaking, that contract was never ended prematurely, it was just given a new number

This seems like it'll work just fine so I'm going to give this bold a few more days and then go thru with it. I'm having minimal isses with service and quite honestly this is the nicest phone I;ve ever used,
    04-09-10 01:04 AM
    Thanks Aza for the info, was just the thing I was looking for. Appreciate it.
    04-09-10 07:53 AM
    hey no prob! Glad i could help. just make sure if you do this that it gets done in a timely manner, and before your cycle is up, otherwise your contract will be cancelled before the end date, and you WILL be charged a MASSIVE ETF. for an additional line, the ETF is $135, but it can go up to around $275 for a primary line!

Verizon partly backtracks on $350 ETF hike | Electronista
    04-09-10 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD