Not sure exactly where to post this so this may be cross posted elsewhere.

Here's the deal, we live in an area that is fairly remote and do not have any local Verizon 3G coverage. I have a Storm2 and use the Wi-Fi where I have access at hime and work and for what I need it is OK.

My wife would like to get a new phone but when we look at Verizons list of phones for our area almost ALL of them require a Data plan. She really has no use at all for a data plan and the added expense but would like to upgrade to a nicer phone possibly a Blackberry with Wi-Fi and/or be able to use the BB Desktop manager to since to her email accounts.

We were told that we could get a used phone and have Verizon activate it and it should work just fine by some people but Verizon is saying that just isn't so when we call to talk to them. They claim we would still need a data plan to do anything with a Blackberry with them.

So what is the real story here.

Thank You!
    10-02-10 12:48 PM
    You don't need to have a data plan, but to use a BlackBerry on Verizon you MUST have the $30 data plan.

I know some of their multimedia phones, which have required a $10 data plan in the past, no longer do or will be done away with soon. I read something just recently that they're no longer making it a requirement to have data on some of the multimedia phones. I don't know which ones do and don't require it, but someone will hopefully come buy and answer for you.

But as for BlackBerry use, yes, it requires the $30 data plan. There's no way around it at all...

I think this would be best placed in the Verizon forum though. Just report your post (little red and white triangle in the corner of the post) and a mod can move it for you.

Here's that article I mentioned, seems like they'll start it in fourth quarter, which started yesterday. Not sure when it will fully go into affect though, and it seems current models will still require it, just newly released "feature" phones won't need it. Verizon to cease data package requirement on new 3G feature phones Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by ridesno159; 10-02-10 at 01:16 PM.
    10-02-10 01:06 PM
    Verizon requires a data plan for their blackberries, plus some other styles. I think I read somewhere else on this site a few weeks ago that AT&T is also going to require a data plan for select phones.
    10-02-10 01:07 PM
    Moving to Verizon forum.

But yes, you do need to have a data plan to properly provision a BB as without it, you won't get the necessary service books to even make wifi work in the first place.
    10-02-10 03:34 PM
    And you can't sync emails with BlackBerry Desktop Manager regardless.
    10-02-10 03:41 PM
    Why do people not understand the word "require"? If it says it requires it, then it REQUIERES it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 04:26 PM
    There are very few smartphones that doesn't require data. They have to be older phones like the Treo 700.

All BlackBerries require data. Hence "require."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 06:06 PM
    As we've discussed on related threads in the past, the "requirement" isn't just a way for Verizon to get more revenue out of the customer... though I'm sure the bottom line is always a consideration. It's also a customer service issue... a carrier doesn't want a customer to have a phone that isn't fully functional with its service plan, since they can't support it.

Lots of users aren't like the folks who participate in these forums... they don't take the time to figure things out, ask questions, and the like to determine what kind of plan they really should get to meet their expectations. If a carrier has a bunch of customers out there with BBs that aren't set up on a data plan, sure, those customers can still use their phones to make and receive calls, and send and receive a text message. But they're gonna get frustrated when they see others with BBs, who are using BBM, browsing the web, synching their e-mail and schedules to their PCs, and using other apps that are available on the "smartphone" that they think they have..so they're gonna be calling CS to complain that their phone "isn't working right." It's easier to save all that aggravation on both ends by making sure that customers have the correct plan to make whatever phone they have FULLY functional.
    10-05-10 12:37 AM
    Later in the year Verizon is dropping the forced data plans on regular non-smartphones. I believe this is in November, do some Googling or wait around. It was a ridiculous practice and I'm glad the consumer won out here People must have stopped buying those phones.
    10-05-10 10:37 PM
    Lots of users aren't like the folks who participate in these forums... they don't take the time to figure things out, ask questions, and the like to determine what kind of plan they really should get to meet their expectations. If a carrier has a bunch of customers out there with BBs that aren't set up on a data plan, sure, those customers can still use their phones to make and receive calls, and send and receive a text message. But they're gonna get frustrated when they see others with BBs, who are using BBM, browsing the web, synching their e-mail and schedules to their PCs, and using other apps that are available on the "smartphone" that they think they have..so they're gonna be calling CS to complain that their phone "isn't working right." It's easier to save all that aggravation on both ends by making sure that customers have the correct plan to make whatever phone they have FULLY functional.
    This is a bunch of Verizon CS speak.
    Tell people that they can't get MMS, no WEB, no.... Let them sign a waiver and block the data on the server. They do it all the time for older smartphones, just not the new ones.
    It is a revenue thing, plain and simple.
    You can believe what you want.
    10-06-10 09:18 PM
    Now, that would make sense... if... and "if" is a mighty big word to be spelled with just 2 letters, as they say... the carriers were inclined to actually take the time to explain this to users. With so many transactions done online and over the phone now, and so few of the brick and mortar "stores" staffed with knowledgeable folks who can/are willing to actually bother to help a customer figure this out, I don't see it happening.

I agree that revenue is the major motivation here. But I think it's also an easy way out of putting the real time and effort needed into actual customer support.
    10-07-10 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD