Almost everybody knows to dial *228 and hit 2 to update roaming capabilities every once and a while, but does it even do anything? Im willing to bet that 10 out of 10 times I have performed this, my signal it actually worse! For example: Before *228, I'll have 2 bars. After, 1 bar or none at all!

I only know of *228 for any reason. Are there any other numbers like this to call for improvement for anything?

AND DO THEY ACTUALLY WORK?!
    06-29-09 12:41 PM
    That updates your PRL, or preferred roaming list. When there are updates to the PRL, your home area is not affected, only additional tower signatures are added.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 12:49 PM
    I know this but just to clarify: the prl updates do nothing to your home network, right? So if someone does a prl update, there is zero effect on home coverage?

06-29-09 05:02 PM
    What if there is a new tower in the home area?
    06-29-09 05:22 PM
    What if there is a new tower in the home area?
    My phone picks up signal from new towers without doing a PRL update. As long as the new tower is broadcasting on a SID that is already in your PRL your phone will pick it up.
    06-29-09 05:30 PM
    I know this but just to clarify: the prl updates do nothing to your home network, right? So if someone does a prl update, there is zero effect on home coverage?
    Correct and correct.
    My phone picks up signal from new towers without doing a PRL update. As long as the new tower is broadcasting on a SID that is already in your PRL your phone will pick it up.
    Exactly. Home coverage area is unaffected by a PRL update. When you do an update, new roaming tower IDs are added. Sometimes, roaming towers are removed, but that is only in the case of a tower that no longer functioning.

So, anyone who claims they think their service degraded after doing a PRL update should do it again, as they may have picked up a corrupted file. This is highly unlikely, as the update process does a reference check, but a corrupted file is the ONLY reason service may see degradation.

Some may point to bad PRL files being released, but this is rarer than winning big $$$ on a lotto ticket & would be corrected quickly.

06-29-09 05:43 PM
    Thanks. I thought I had it right.

06-29-09 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD