05-02-09 03:50 PM
35 12
tools
    I was just wondering because im going into a corprate store to get my storm checked out soon...should i bother downgrading.

I would like proof (picture, quote from contract) showing either way, yes or no
    04-30-09 11:25 AM
    Technically, yes. The store may or may not catch it but warranty probs may come back to bite you. For proof, call Verizon or RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 11:38 AM
    I also would guess that it would be since you're not using offical software. I highly doubt a store would catch it. I had a phone hacked on another network and sent it in for a replacement. It worked out just fine for me. But who knows.
    04-30-09 01:16 PM
    Yes it will void your warranty. The best thing to do is back up all info from your device to the pc and then downgrade your os to vzw's latest official release. Then just leave it empty ie no contacts pics or anything and take it in for your replacement. This way you are covered no matter what. Better to be safe than sorry.
    04-30-09 10:48 PM
    does anyone have some kind of proof of this?

sry i just want to be posiive cuz downgradign is a pain in the @$$
    05-01-09 09:54 AM
    Call your carrier they will give you proof
    05-01-09 10:06 AM
    does anyone have some kind of proof of this?

sry i just want to be posiive cuz downgradign is a pain in the @$$
    Yep if the carrier checks the version they will tell and note the account the warr voided as the device problem you called in about may have been caused by the OS you installed. If you do not doewn grade and they replace device and the warehouse catches it, they may charge you full replacement cost for your replacement. NOt sure how close they monitor this though, I hear about it happening all the time
    05-01-09 10:18 AM
    Nowhere in the warranty for BB does it says its will void your warranty but its still best to downgrade the OS to your carriers version if you need to do a exchange.
    05-01-09 10:19 AM
    Nowhere in the warranty for BB does it says its will void your warranty but its still best to downgrade the OS to your carriers version if you need to do a exchange.
    Garz,

This would be an unauthorized modification the phone. I am sure there has to be a provision for this in the documetation some place. just as if someone opened the deivce and broke something inside.
    05-01-09 10:25 AM
    Garz,

This would be an unauthorized modification the phone. I am sure there has to be a provision for this in the documetation some place. just as if someone opened the deivce and broke something inside.
    Until I see something that says it does, I dont buy it. I have warranty exchanged before with betas on there and know others who have and was never charged back.
    05-01-09 10:30 AM
    I believe it has a lot to do with the wording of it. I dont recall ever seeing a TOS say "upgrading the OS".....Look for something like Last posted "unauthorized modification."

Personally, I feel downgrading to an authorized carrier OS keeps you safe than sorry regardless of it being a P.I.T.A. or not..
    05-01-09 10:31 AM
    Until I see something that says it does, I dont buy it. I have warranty exchanged before with betas on there and know others who have and was never charged back.
    I agree Garz,

I am just saying it can happen, but most likely not worth the carriers time, for when it gets refurbed anyway, it will get flashed with the proper OS.
    05-01-09 10:34 AM
    I agree Garz,

I am just saying it can happen, but most likely not worth the carriers time, for when it gets refurbed anyway, it will get flashed with the proper OS.
    The only real negative I have seen with running a beta is if you need technical support and your carrier asks what OS your running and you tell them, they will not give any support until you get back on the correct OS.
    05-01-09 10:38 AM
    They don't even check the OS on phone returns. Only causes issues for tech support sometimes as support folks will have certain OS/revisions they are allowed to support.
    05-01-09 10:39 AM
    Garz, there's always a 1st time.
    I'm curious though- since the warranty exchange has already been approved and they're going to wipe the phone anyway, why should it matter what OS was on it?
    05-01-09 10:41 AM
    I'm curious though- since the warranty exchange has already been approved and they're going to wipe the phone anyway, why should it matter what OS was on it?

Yes there always is a first time. That why I said its still best to get back on the correct OS. I agree with your question. My opinion is I really dont think it matters. It does not say in the warranty that a different OS voids it. I have read the warranty many times and I never heard of anybody getting charged back due to a OS. But I still say just put the correct one back on to avoid any issues.
    05-01-09 10:47 AM
    thanks, yea ive sent in some with leaked os's on them but never acualy went into the store with one on it.
    05-01-09 11:04 AM
    Depending on the problem that is being replaced for might be caused by the OS. this is the only reason.
    05-01-09 11:07 AM
    so if its strictly hardware...screen click, muffeled voice then i should be good?
    05-01-09 11:09 AM
    not always safe, I would as stated before by many, downgrade it to be safe.
    05-01-09 11:10 AM
    They don't even check the OS on phone returns. Only causes issues for tech support sometimes as support folks will have certain OS/revisions they are allowed to support.
    Every Storm that comes in with "problems" the first thing i do is check the OS. If it isnt what we are currently using i explain that may be the issue (which is true)

Everyone wants the most current software just because the people on here (for the most part) know about and understand what they are doing. When you get a person that has no clue what they are doing, a "problem" may not be a problem at all. But it still voids the warranty one way or another, sorry.
    05-01-09 12:41 PM
    The only real negative I have seen with running a beta is if you need technical support and your carrier asks what OS your running and you tell them, they will not give any support until you get back on the correct OS.
    Well I'm on t-moblie and they asked me for my os version I told them and they were like"oh you have the latest software" and that was that they still helped me with my problem.

05-01-09 12:56 PM
    Well I'm on t-moblie and they asked me for my os version I told them and they were like"oh you have the latest software" and that was that they still helped me with my problem.

I'm lost. Since you have the latest software I wouldn't see them not helping you with your problem.
    05-01-09 01:13 PM
    I'm lost. Since you have the latest software I wouldn't see them not helping you with your problem.
    I was referring to how people were saying that having the latest beta would void your warranty I had the latest beta and they didn't seem to even care so the og poster should be fine unless t-moblie and verizons policies differ.

05-01-09 01:18 PM
    I was referring to how people were saying that having the latest beta would void your warranty I had the latest beta and they didn't seem to even care so the og poster should be fine unless t-moblie and verizons policies differ.

Oh Ok. I just went by your post that said you had the latest. You didn't say it was a beta.
    05-01-09 01:24 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD