09-22-08 03:47 AM
65 123
tools
    Why don't you call VZW to see if the company you work for gets a corporate discount? I know I get 6% off my plan & 12% off my data package which made me happpyy.

Also, if you don't like the way vzw makes you get a data plan with a bb- don't get vzw. But like someone else said- it's totally like drinking koolaid without water.
    09-08-08 12:12 AM
    The add-on of the data feature is part of the agreement that VZW signed with BBerry. Its in their contract, just like when you sign for a 2 year contract to have service with that company for 2 yrs. Except VZW doesn't have an ETF there's no getting out of it. There's no loop-hole in the system where you can have an active BBerry line without a data plan on VZW. If you change the esn online and don't select a data plan it will auto-add the 44.99 data feat for corp accts. So if you try to sneak your way around the data plan, all you're doing is steppin on an upward facing rake...and you'll be sorry.

If $30 is too much for you, get a different phone. Every other phone VZW has does not require ANY features to have it...only BlackBerry's and there is NO WAY around it...its a sad truth for some users and I know a lot of people go on and on abt how cool their BB is even without the data plan...but I'll be honest..without the data plan I wouldn't talk up the BBerry's half as much as I do now and I would rank it with the rest of those boring phones. It has so much potential that can't be tapped without that plan!
    You can't have chips with no salsa! No peanut butter without the jelly! You can't have ketchup without mustard! No car without an engine! No Tango without Cash! Its like having Spiderman with no web slinging! Batman without his utility belt! Fat kids without twinkies! Clowns without kids to entertain! Spongebob without Patrick! A construction worker without a hand! William Wallace without his head!...ok scratch that last one, but if I didn't have a data plan, I would severely miss it like the titanic misses the oceans surface!

And that's all I have to say about ALL of that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 11:49 PM
    I have been the person on the other end of the phone whenever you guys call VZW for help with your PDA's for 3 years. I can assure that I have spoken to people with Pearls and Curves that do not have a data plan. It may not be written anywhere that it can be done, but it can.
    09-20-08 11:19 PM
    Actually One Source does specifically say you cannot block or have pay as you use data.

09-20-08 11:24 PM
    why do people get so emotional about people who don't have a data plan? LOL I didn't have a data plan for a VERY long time and it never bothered me.
    09-20-08 11:35 PM
    why do people get so emotional about people who don't have a data plan? LOL I didn't have a data plan for a VERY long time and it never bothered me.
    +1
    Here's what I don't need a data plan for:
    Add, watch, and listen to videos, MP3's and ringtones.
    Use memo pad, task list, calculator, calendar, voice dialing, install and back up applications and themes.
    Take pictures and video with the phone and transfer to pc. Use blue tooth headsets and devices, voice dialing, text messaging, have one of best voice quality phones and one of the best full duplex speaker phones on the market.

What I need the data plan for:
    Surf the web(let's hope the website displays correctly in a mobile browser), BB messenger (honestly.. Big deal) push email.

Do you need the data plan, no. Is it nice, yes.
    Its VZW's policy to not sell without the data plan, period. If VZ reps can't change it in software that means some one designed the software to block that option. Yes they let you know up front, that's about as reassuring as a polite pick pocket.

As a consumer you have a choice, go elsewhere, and don't give your money to that company.

Now the biggest peek for me having the data plan is this, I'm sitting on my porch still out of power from hurricane Ike, and my BB has been a great source (and only) of entertainment for the last week. In this last week I used the web more than I have in the last year.
    But I have plenty of music and vids on this and another memory card that it wouldn't have bothered me not to have the data plan.

And look this long post on my tiny pearl from sprint with no elitist air to it

Cheers
    09-21-08 03:35 AM
    I have been the person on the other end of the phone whenever you guys call VZW for help with your PDA's for 3 years. I can assure that I have spoken to people with Pearls and Curves that do not have a data plan. It may not be written anywhere that it can be done, but it can.
    Explain, in detail, how to activate or remove a data plan from a blackberry in eROES.

i have never been able to do this without eROES erroring out. maybe there is a way that i don't know.

If you know that it can be done please explain how. i will test it. Then we can put the matter to bed (that's what she said).

Lastraid, what system do you use for activations?

Stealth, which do you use?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-21-08 at 07:17 AM.
    09-21-08 07:07 AM
    To boomberbsg,

You said the 'only' thing you get with a data plan is BBmssngr and the web...like the web is some tiny little feature. The web is HUGE! BB messenger, yeah no big deal cuz there's Yahoo! and all those other messengers. But have you ever been nowhere near a computer and needed to look something up on the net? Cuz I'll be honest, I do that almost daily. The web is a plethora of information.

The BB is a great phone with great features even without the data plan. You say you get to watch videos and listen to music on your BB, right you are sir...but you can't download them OTA on the fly without the data plan like I can. Hear a good song on the radio? Why write it down when you can download right then? You wanna know what a Shiba Inu looks like? Google image that b*tch <--pun intended. How bout movie times? Let's save the people a call and look it up ourselves. How bout checking into a flight? Pretty sure that's a lifesaver when I've been traveling...I don't exactly carry my laptop with me everywhere I go, but I do carry my phone! literally having 'just the web' on my phone has almost caused my computer to do nothing but attract dust...cuz if the standard mobile web browser isn't sufficient for what I need, Operamini works wonders.

As for Stealth...what system are you using and what are you doing to it? Cuz I use ACSS and that's a no-go. I'm actually looking at policies and procedures for the blackberry's right now...its required. Perhaps there's a loophole I'm missing?

09-21-08 08:42 AM
    Again, this is not possible on Verizon Wireless.

Verizon is bound by contract with RIM to have a data plan on every active BlackBerry device.

This is correct.

Vzw CSR
    09-21-08 02:43 PM
    Spiderz, please reread my post, I don't think you read the whole thing.
    The point to my post was you don't need the internet its a luxury not necessary to have if you don't feel you need it.
    09-21-08 04:12 PM
    Oh no no I wasn't saying that you needed it all. Obviously this thread is about not having it. But I'm just saying its the icing on the cake. The sprinkles on the ice cream. The gravy to your mashed potatoes. Its the drink and peanuts to you airplane flight. The plunger to your toilet...I mean...k scratch that. I completely agree with you it is not needed, but man oh man is it nice and convenient!

09-21-08 05:28 PM
    The thread is about not having internet. But keeping with the context of the OP, he wants the phone because its a good phone with good features even without the internet, he's also on a limited budget.

As most of these threads get derailed by the "OMG you have to have internet" the OP had his answer within the first page hehe.

I just went up and purchased a curve today, the first question I was asked was "do you want the data plan?"
    That's the way it should be. We should have the option to not get the data plan. Verizon would make a sale, gain a customer and he would have a decent phone on his budget.
    09-22-08 12:02 AM
    They asked you if you wanted the data plan because that were doing a good job as a salesperson. It's called qualifying your customer. If they don't ask you if you want the data plan and you don't want it they'l either end up wasting their time by explaining at the very end of the sale that you can't have it without the plan, or you'll return it in a few days when you try to call in and remove it and they tell you it's required.

09-22-08 12:10 AM
    They asked you if you wanted the data plan because that were doing a good job as a salesperson. It's called qualifying your customer. If they don't ask you if you want the data plan and you don't want it they'l either end up wasting their time by explaining at the very end of the sale that you can't have it without the plan, or you'll return it in a few days when you try to call in and remove it and they tell you it's required.

Actually they asked me that because sprint (who I'm with) doesn't make you buy the plan

Cheers
    09-22-08 12:35 AM
    If the Curve had decent audio, I can almost understand why someone would want one without Internet access. But it doesn't, the incoming and outgoing audio quality is awful compared to most of their "dumb" phones.

And now I'm going to go into my often repeated rant that EVERYTHING you do on any digital cell phone IS data, even your voice! Verizon muddles the issue in their marketing, but technically speaking, it's ALL data!

BlackBerry's agreement with Verizon operates in a parallel universe though; RIM handles Internet traffic vis BIS (or BES), avoiding Verizon's mobile Internet infrastructure. This is a good thing for people who need it. I do.

Some people don't, and that's understandable. I can see the need to have a Curve without BIS so you can use it as a PDA and text machine, in addition to voice service, but IMO, they offer better alternatives to that with other devices than a Curve.

BTW, for those of you who question the need for BB Messenger, you can IM with any BB user on any carrier in any country absolutely free of charge. Some people really need that, some people don't, bit it's part of the so-called "BlackBerry Email and Web" service you pay $30/mo for. There's a lot more to it than just "Email and Web," what you're paying for is access to BIS, which is everything Internet and more!

SMS and voice calls are not Internet, but email is. Like I said, literally everything is all data, it's mostly just billed differently.

HTML Web access on a Curve isn't very good, as we all know, even Opera sucks IMO. So I don't use it for that. But I love having access to BlackBerry-friendly places like the NYT, WSJ, LAT, and ESPN. With Verizon's mature and expansive 3G network that passes the traffic to BIS, along with pretty good push email and BB Messenger, owning a Curve without access to BIS just doesn't make any sense to me. If I didn't rely on those things I would have bought a reliable PHONE and wouldn't be posting here, or course.
    09-22-08 03:47 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD