09-22-08 04:47 AM
65 123
tools
    Here is my story I went nuts for 2 months thinking in what should I get next when my contract was about to finish "old boring sliding phone vs BB" one day dilemma was over and got the BB curve from verizon, love at first sight, that day I said to the sales rep YES to everything, next day I went thru my new contract then BUMMM..... $30 more to my bill I was like no,no,no went to verizon store and asked to cancel my data plan sales rep said can't do phone wont work, went to different store same story I thought these people are trying to sell this data plan so one more time I called verizon CS and sad but true NO DATA PLAN NO lovely BB, so now is one less happy hour a month and I can believe this but BB is taking over my life now it has its own budget
    07-21-08 09:34 PM
    You say this as though it's a bad thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 09:39 PM
    Such a touching story

Just give up a gallon of gas to pay for the data plan
    07-21-08 09:40 PM
    what I meant was that U have to pay the price of being an addict, now I really don't care about paying $30 for data plan (it's unlimited usage so its worthy) but is part of the transition from a "regular cell phone john doe" to a real CRACKBERRY, am I right?
    07-21-08 10:12 PM
    You can say that, for a BB without a data plan is a regular phone.

Guess I will not give my day job
    07-21-08 10:16 PM
    I was told today with VZ CS changing my minutes. I asked the rep @ this issue and she said..... That Verizon was bound through agreement with RIM to require cell & data. However it is not the case with other VZ "smart phones". Hope this is helpful.

07-23-08 08:35 PM
    I was told today with VZ CS changing my minutes. I asked the rep @ this issue and she said..... That Verizon was bound through agreement with RIM to require cell & data. However it is not the case with other VZ "smart phones". Hope this is helpful.

To add to this I was told my a VW rep that this was becuase people did not hve text messages and were running up extremely high bills. They are claiming it is a cautionary tool for customers.
    08-16-08 12:17 PM
    To add to this I was told my a VW rep that this was becuase people did not hve text messages and were running up extremely high bills. They are claiming it is a cautionary tool for customers.
    Text has nothing to do with Data.

Might want to talk to with a VZW rep not VW rep. BB's do not have wheels, I know bad attempt at humor once again.
    08-16-08 12:35 PM
    Not to be nasty to you, but have you seen the agreement between VZW and RIM? I bet not. I can tell you that I have not either. What I can tell you is that I do not think VZW would put their employees in a postion to deliberatly LIE to their customers. With that in mind, this is what VZW employees have been informed to have done and explain to customers.
    08-16-08 12:58 PM
    I think Verizon is doing a good job by requiring a data plan on the blackberry If I was charged outrageous fees because I had no data plan that was required and they didn't tell me I would turn around and sue the carrier.
    08-16-08 01:14 PM
    No offense taken!

I doubt that Verizon has a cost-sharing agreement in place with RIM that is similar to how Apple has AT&T by the cajones. The AT&T/Apple model is unique in the cell phone industry -- every other manufacturer sells the device to the carrier, and the carrier uses the phone to grab subscribers. Manufacturers look to grow their revenue by selling lots of phones, and carriers look to grow their revenue by getting more subscribers or squeezing more money out of existing subscribers.

I'm not saying that Verizon employees are asked to lie to customers; however, Verizon employees are being placed in a position to explain a company policy that seems rather "unique" among the other US carriers. Verizon employees can't run around telling customers "well, you have to get a data plan because Verizon wants more money from you" -- and, rather than receive a coherent policy from corporate, the Verizon employee has to say something that is more plausible.

I bet there is no cogent documentation from Verizon corporate as to why BB users have to get a data plan. If there is, I would love to see it!
    Funny you should mention th Iphone and ATT, VZW was approched prior to ATT to carry the device. Upon review of the agreement VZW turned it down. Do to concerns and I like what I do, I will not comment on the info given to me by a very high ranking VZW officer.

As to being put in position of knowingly giving information to customers that is not true, I would not do it.
    08-16-08 01:30 PM
    Why isn't this type of scenario acceptable on Verizon?
    If I was in a position to answer this, I would, but I am not. If you wish to write to VZW corporate to get a response to your question, I am sure they would be help you with this. Sorry I could not be more helpful.
    08-16-08 01:35 PM
    I've been with Verizon since it absorbed Air Touch many moons ago. Have stuck with them because of the pricing and service. Can't remember how many Sprint folks have told me they just chucked their phones in the garbage, or AT&T/T-mobile users complaining about the lack-of-coverage/crappy service.

My two-year contract renews shortly, and I got this wonderful Upgrade to a BB offer. I've been wanting a BB for a while now, and was hoping to compare its organizer features first hand with my Palm (Palm user since 1996).

...and then I walk into my local VZW store and find the data plan is mandatory with VZW. Okay, fine, I'll sign up. How long do I have to keep it? Forever otherwise the phone won't work??!!! This is serious BS. It's not the money so much as the principle.

My primary purpose of a cell phone is, big duh, as a phone. I've heard nothing but great comments how the Pearl and Curve will pull a signal where others won't. This is important to me as I live in a Cellular Challenged spot.

So, bottom line. No BB for this kid until the policy changes. I'll just keep using the free/almost free phones at the bottom of the food chain.

Just sayin'......
    09-06-08 12:42 PM
    Yes, with VZW you need the data plan for 29.99 and it cannot be removed. But a BB without data is like drinking Koolaid without water.
    09-06-08 12:58 PM
    Yes, with VZW you need the data plan for 29.99 and it cannot be removed. But a BB without data is like drinking Koolaid without water.
    yum. like a pixie stick?

i don't know of any way to either activate nor remove a data plan from a blackberry. if you try either ,eROES gives an error that there is no way around. maybe someone higher up in VZW knows...?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-06-08 at 01:36 PM.
    09-06-08 01:13 PM
    You cannot remove a data plan from a VZW BB device. systems will not let you. would not add water to a Pixie stick. spit does that for you.
    09-06-08 01:21 PM
    yeah you'll still have the phone just without the internet, and bbm mail and mmsger
    09-06-08 03:09 PM
    yeah you'll still have the phone just without the internet, and bbm mail and mmsger
    lol. read back over the thread. that is incorrect!
    09-06-08 03:11 PM
    i dont think its incorrect
    09-06-08 04:36 PM
    I completely understand the money issue, I'm the one paying for my data plan as an undergrad. When I bought my Curve from VZW the rep. made it very clear that a data plan was required in order to use the phone. I had the choice to not pay the extra $30 but I'd have to get another phone. Point is, you know about the $30 when you get the phone. Most people who are bashing VZW are obviously not with them. Yes it may be a little unfair to have the plan required but that's the way it is and it's not going to change anytime soon.
    09-06-08 05:45 PM
    I respectfully disagree, Sprint's cell service is just fine their customer service stinks but they are more affordable than anyone else.

I must disagree. T-Mobile is the most affordable and has great customer service so it trumps Sprint!

09-06-08 06:03 PM
    And as far as I know you don't need data on tmobile I didn't have it for a while and the didn't care.

09-06-08 06:04 PM
    do an esn change to a regular phone and then have C/s drop the data plan then go into my account and do an esn change back to the erry simple!!!!
    09-07-08 09:39 PM
    What good will that do? You just have to add the blackberry plan back on.

09-07-08 09:44 PM
    do an esn change to a regular phone and then have C/s drop the data plan then go into my account and do an esn change back to the erry simple!!!!
    Yes right, let me tell you how the system works. You can do this and when you change it back the system automatically adds the data plan back on.

NEXT!
    09-07-08 09:50 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD