I got my new Curve yesterday. I ordered it online at 4:40 PM Friday, and FedEx arrived at my door with it yesterday at 12:30 PM. I'm pretty impressed by how fast the delivery was.

This isn't my first BB. I used to have an 8703e on Sprint, connected to my company BES server. It was OK, although I never did like the navigation wheel on the device. And the data coverage for Sprint in my area is pretty spotty. Call quality was good and email always arrived on time, so I can't complain much.

But I can complain some about my new Curve from VZW. I mean, I really like the form factor (it's just a little bigger than the Razr it's replacing) and the quality of the screen is really nice. Good camera, I put my memory card from my Razr into the Curve, so it has plenty of storage. Call quality is good, too. So, what's to complain about, right?

Well, I have to admit I was expecting a better web experience. The browser is no better than my old 8703e, which was pretty lame. I tried Opera Mini, and while that looks to have some possibilities, the performance really stinks, and not all the functions work like they should, such as windowing around a page. Also, I set up 3 email accounts, which went fine. Except for changing the signature, and I had to go through hoops to get that to work. (Thanks for crackberry - it had the instructions...) But I got some email overnight, and there were hyperlinks in them, and they do NOT work. I keep getting error messages saying the server is overloaded. Baloney.

All in all, the Curve really isn't different at all from my old 8703e, in terms of usage experience. I've been with VZW for years and years, so I know all about how they lock some functions off, like OBEX file exchange and GPS and so on, so those things don't surprise me. But I was hoping that at least the browser would be better. To me, it's isn't, and I may return this puppy because of that alone.

I'm thinking of putting the 4.5 beta on the device. Is that really significantly any better? In particular, is its web support / browsing any better? There's a lot I like about the Curve, but there's enough that makes using it tedious and undesireable that I may return it and keep my Razr, unless there are improvements coming down the road.

Thanks.
    08-03-08 12:39 PM
    the 4.5 browser imo is three times as better. i think you will change your mind a bit when you see how much better that browser is.
    08-03-08 12:42 PM
    the 4.5 browser imo is three times as better. i think you will change your mind a bit when you see how much better that browser is.
    Not to jack this thread, but is the 4.5 a fully released OS? I don't want to install anything that might void the warranty or cause any problems. Is there a full-on discussion going on here about pros and cons for 4.5?
    08-03-08 12:55 PM
    BB's are business devices, not sure what you were expecting. Wait for the Bold or Thunder, they may be more up your alley
    08-03-08 01:22 PM
    BB's are business devices, not sure what you were expecting. Wait for the Bold or Thunder, they may be more up your alley
    Like I said in my first post, I've had a BB before and I know what to expect from them. I don't want a touch screen like the Thunder. The Bold is a nice device, but it's not coming out on VZW until whenever, and how different is the usage experience on it going to be, anyway?

What I wanted was a better browser and web experience, and also email that works (re: my link comment). That's all part of the business orientation I want from a BB. I don't really want to dork around with a beta OS if I don't have to. But I asked about 4.5 to see if that's really worth waiting for. I see in some places that 4.5 will be made available for all carriers in September. That's past my 30 day trial with the Curve, so I don't know if I'm going to keep this thing or not.
    08-03-08 01:44 PM
    I'd say enlist the help of the forum members and research the problems online. The people here are great and there should be tons of articles on the 'net to help you.

P.S. I upgraded from 8500 Chocolate phone to the Q9m. Although it's lacking in certain areas, I won't downgrade to any dumb phone.
    08-03-08 03:40 PM
    All in all its a bb. I mean if RIM makes changes that are totally different from their product development niche then it would no longer be a looked at as "BLACKBERRY." I don't think we could ever expect drastic changes, I wouldn't want to see that either.
    08-03-08 03:51 PM
    Like I said in my first post, I've had a BB before and I know what to expect from them. I don't want a touch screen like the Thunder. The Bold is a nice device, but it's not coming out on VZW until whenever, and how different is the usage experience on it going to be, anyway?

What I wanted was a better browser and web experience, and also email that works (re: my link comment). That's all part of the business orientation I want from a BB. I don't really want to dork around with a beta OS if I don't have to. But I asked about 4.5 to see if that's really worth waiting for. I see in some places that 4.5 will be made available for all carriers in September. That's past my 30 day trial with the Curve, so I don't know if I'm going to keep this thing or not.
    If you've had a BB before, you should know that the links are HTML email formatting most likely. The blackberry isn't formatted to take care of HTML email formatting....yet. OS 4.5 should be fixing that. 4.5 will be worth the wait. Calm down and enjoy your curve as it is, then enjoy it even more when the new OS comes out.
    08-03-08 03:55 PM
    If you've had a BB before, you should know that the links are HTML email formatting most likely. The blackberry isn't formatted to take care of HTML email formatting....yet. OS 4.5 should be fixing that. 4.5 will be worth the wait. Calm down and enjoy your curve as it is, then enjoy it even more when the new OS comes out.
    Calm? Me?

Actually, I'm as calm as can be. Or, as I can be, anyway...

I've tried other links in emails, and they work fine. Maybe I just had a problem this morning with BIS or something. Who knows. But your point about HTML support in 4.5 is interesting. I do like the phone aspects of the BB very much, so maybe the HTML support in 4.5 will help my web experience, too.

Thanks.
    08-03-08 05:48 PM
    Go into the browser options and select support "HTML tables, embedded media, Javascript, and style sheets." Or, mix and match, play with the settings. You can improve it a great deal while waiting for OS 4.5.
    08-03-08 06:17 PM

i would suggest this download the os 4.5 to see if you like it since it supports HTML then if u dont you will not have to wait untill the 30days to decide if you want to keep it.
    08-03-08 06:24 PM
    IMO, if you're not sure whether you want to keep your berry or not, I "would not" upgrade to a beta. Yes, I have used the betas, then downgrade, and upgrade - again. But, I purchased my berry on e-bay from someone else. So, I've never really been concerned about a warranty for my berry.

FYI - You can check out several 3rd party apps in the CB Store for HTML e-mail(free trial). Not to hijack the content here, check out the Beta Talk forums for more information on the betas- pros and cons.
    08-03-08 07:09 PM
    Hehe....I love it when people say "not to ___ or anything but....". Just cause you say you don't mean to, doesn't actually mean you're not doing it. Jus having a little fun.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-08 07:19 PM
    Go into the browser options and select support "HTML tables, embedded media, Javascript, and style sheets." Or, mix and match, play with the settings. You can improve it a great deal while waiting for OS 4.5.
    Thanks! I did this, and it does improve the browser. It's still not like the 15.4 inch display on my laptop (duh), but what the heck. I do think the better HTML support in 4.5 will help even more.

But I'm getting to like this thing more and more. Especially the email. I don't know why this happens, but email hits my BB before it hits my regular email inbox (Gmail or regular ISP). Weird.
    08-08-08 11:50 AM
    So, I returned my Curve today. It was all it was advertised to be, and I ended up liking it. But I didn't need the email as much as I thought I would, and the web access really stunk IMO. The GPS worked great with VZNavigator, and the camera was pretty good. But I decided to go back to my RAZR, which I've always been happy with. Yup, it's just a phone.

Who knows, I may get a BB again in the future. They're the best at what they do.

But this site was really helpful to me in getting all the "how to" questions answered. I had a LOT of them, and I got every single answer I needed right here. A GREAT site! Thanks to all.

Ciao for now...
    08-25-08 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD