on the main line of a family plan.

called to check for my every year upgrade. they told me that I am not eligible. said there are several factors that can disqualify you. she stated it was because I got a replacement phone a couple weeks ago(want to get bionic tomorrow) and that if there is a replacement phone then your every year upgrade is removed and you have to wait the 20 months for the every 2.

she wouldn't tell me if there were any other previous circumstances that would DQ me from getting the every year upgrade. if the replacement last month is the only thing that DQ me I would be very upset as they never told me this would DQ me and would have just stuck with my broken phone or used an old phone from a friend till the bionic came out.

does anyone know about this seemingly new feature of DQing you. I have gotten the every year for like 4 years nnow since I moved to verizon and never had any problems.
    09-07-11 09:29 PM
    Well the annual upgrade has been discontinued as of February 8th (I think) of this year. If you haven't upgraded after that time, you should be fine. I would recommend calling back and speaking to a different rep.

When you got your new device, were you within the manufacturer warranty? Did they send you an exact same device? A couple of years ago, I had a problem with my BB Tour and a friend of mine (who worked at a local Verizon store) was going to do a warranty exchange for me. She looked into getting my the Bold 9650, but if she did that instead of a Tour it was going to reset my upgrade eligibility.
    09-07-11 09:59 PM
    same device within the year for the manufacturer warranty. I tried explaining this but it got me nowhere. she claimed that since I got a new device(even though it was a replacement and the same device) that it should last me until my new upgrade date. I claimed that the 1 year upgrade was indeed that, an upgrade to take advantage of new technology, not because you are expecting devices to fail after a year.

I guess I will try calling a different rep tomorrow but would like some more ammo to go into the fight with.
    09-07-11 10:09 PM
    Hmmm, well I think your only option is to call in again and speak to someone different. I wish there was more ammo I could give you, but there's really nothing. She was misinformed, that's all. A warranty replace doesn't qualify as an upgrade. I'm sure the new rep will set you straight tomorrow. Good luck!
    09-07-11 10:14 PM
    same device within the year for the manufacturer warranty.
    Was it a brand new phone or a referb? My understanding is that if they send you a referb on a warranty replacement your upgrade date stays the same. If they should for whatever reason send you a brand new phone, then your upgrade date will change, because it is a brand new device and not a referb.
    09-08-11 02:09 AM
    refurb. pretty unfair for me to lose an upgrade date bc I had the misfortune of a phone that decided to go haywire.

not hurting them either. they are just trading out a used phone for another used phone, only cost they incur is on the repair of one phone.
    09-08-11 04:15 AM
    refurb. pretty unfair for me to lose an upgrade date bc I had the misfortune of a phone that decided to go haywire.

not hurting them either. they are just trading out a used phone for another used phone, only cost they incur is on the repair of one phone.
    09-08-11 04:20 AM
    got a new rep on line today. had to go back and look at account before it was switched over to gf name(assumption of liability) bc she gets an upgrade. after looking at that she saw that it has been 13 months since i upgraded and sent the order to her manager who hasnt gotten in yet. manager apparently has to approve it bc of the aol situation. should hear back soon as to whether it is going through or not. rep didnt mention the replacement at all.
    09-08-11 07:35 AM
    on the main line of a family plan.

called to check for my every year upgrade. they told me that I am not eligible. said there are several factors that can disqualify you. she stated it was because I got a replacement phone a couple weeks ago(want to get bionic tomorrow) and that if there is a replacement phone then your every year upgrade is removed and you have to wait the 20 months for the every 2.

she wouldn't tell me if there were any other previous circumstances that would DQ me from getting the every year upgrade. if the replacement last month is the only thing that DQ me I would be very upset as they never told me this would DQ me and would have just stuck with my broken phone or used an old phone from a friend till the bionic came out.

does anyone know about this seemingly new feature of DQing you. I have gotten the every year for like 4 years nnow since I moved to verizon and never had any problems.
    In other words they got you.

They tried that mess with me last year. I used my upgrade to get a Droid. It was cool until the Froyo update came out and just went haywire. I got tired of them sending me defective replacements, (5 BTW).

So when I spoke to several reps and someone who I think was a supervisor, all of them kept saying that if I wanted something different then I had to use one of the upgrades on one of my other lines.

I was like WHAT????? Replace an upgrade with an upgrade? OH **** NAW!

So I reported them to the BBB, and was contacted days later by a real supervisor. She said that all I could get as a replacement was a Droid 2. Anything else (BB, Droid x, etc.) I would have to use my upgrade or pay full price.

So I took the Droid 2 hoping that I wouldn't have the same issues as with the Droid. But something told me to check and see if they were trying to dupe me.

And low and behold they tried a slicky slick on me. While I had her on the phone, I logged into MyVerizon to check and see did they put it in as an upgrade. And of course they did. My upgrade date and my end of contract dates were changed. I said, whoa hold up, and told her of the change. She tried to give me a bunch of lame excuses, and when I didn't buy them, she changed my dates.

So yea VZW got you by putting in the replacement phone as an upgrade.
    09-08-11 09:42 AM
    I'm going to stay up on this in the future. Weird thing is that only that rep mentioned it when all the other reps never did. Anyway it is still awaiting a supervisor's approval. I was so pissed I had one of the reps make sure that the supervisor that I need the approval from wasn't in the same building. At that point I would demand she get on the line. Call me back in one hour, its been 7 now.

Will call tomorrow and demand to speak to a supervisor if they don't figure this out.
    09-08-11 03:44 PM
    I was supposed to get a call back 2 weeks ago from VZW. Dont wait on them to call you back, EVER.
    09-08-11 05:26 PM
    so true. been 29 hours now and no call back. manager finally approved the upgrade, only took her a day to do it. presumably getting the phone on tuesday, possibly monday. also they changed me 50 more than the website price, which has been fluctuating I give them that, so gotta call up when I get the phone to get the price match.
    09-09-11 12:20 PM
    Got a replacement last month for my DroidX (refurb X).
    Last week on my account it was flagged as an upgrade with discount (my normal annual upgrade). It did show up at 13 instead of 12 months but it automatically came up on my account. Went and got my Bionic yesterday.

WHen I asked a few weeks ago I was told by rep in store and CS that I would not see my last annual upgrade. They were both wrong.
    09-09-11 04:00 PM
    I won't get in to what some salesman do to get their commission, but I will say watch for official verizon stores. Instead of those 3rd party vendors hiding their name behind the carriers.
    Now here are a few things that could also DQ you an upgrade.
    1) Some salesman use your upgrade to fix your current phone issues to make a sale, aslong as you don't notice or care.
    2) A family member used your upgrade without you noticing, or if the salesman made it sound like it was your family members upgrade... to get a sale.
    3) Your just not due for one yet...

Well it's been awhile since I've had this issue but there could be a # of other reasons to DQ on the carriers contract list. I would need more info or be allowed to look into your account.
    Anyways, GL with your issue.
    09-09-11 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD