05-27-09 07:12 PM
151 ... 4567
tools
    actually, yes...the google maps app has only been approved for the storm. i suggest you contact google about it, and ask why you can't use their app on a curve but you can on the storm...
    Now this is something we may need to research further, as the Storm tester I have will run GPS with the radio off and it isn't restricted to Google Maps.

But the rest of what you said is dead on - other apps can apply for approval, but need to clear two basic hurdles for PDE access - first is do no harm to network or device. Second is you may not use VZW or customer data in a manner inconsistent with VZW policy.

This would rule out Google, as their privacy policy is awful - your data is how they make their billions. This might rule out MapQuest for similar reasons - but it isn't clear how this might affect their paid app, except I believe the. Garmin may or may not have applied - I am not privy to what they may or may not have done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 07:36 PM
    BUT BUT BUT WIFI is free and disabled. I feel violated, the nerve a company should protect consumer info and have a right not have their networked hacked or phones destroyed by hackers. Sharades time oh yes WIFI is free did i mention that?
    05-26-09 07:56 PM
    BUT BUT BUT WIFI is free and disabled. I feel violated, the nerve a company should protect consumer info and have a right not have their networked hacked or phones destroyed by hackers. Sharades time oh yes WIFI is free did i mention that?
    Oh yes - I know your type. You sign a contract, without paying attention to what you're getting into, then whine about it later!

You crybabies are all alike!!!

It's okay LR - you're good in my book.

Posted from my KnowledgeBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 08:14 PM
    I've pretty much heard that RIM actually has even laid out the wifi chip on these test devices. CX has stated that the info spec sheets show wifi as part of the packages. Then at the end of the game it just goes away. So I'm not sure as well as why this is the case (could be money, battery drainage, a combination of both, who knows), but its pretty obvious that Verizon is making this decision, otherwise RIM wouldn't even start with making space and laying out the chip in the first place.

no i think your wrong you said its pretty obvious that its verizonz decision..

How about rim just wants to plop it in there to test there new software on battery issues with wi-fi find out its not fixed yet and remove it...

why does it have to be verizon..

look fight all you want and talk all you want about wi-fi I dont care..

I agree with a lot of it --- but you definitely do make claims very often that really have no backing...

there has been multiple times that we told you "windows mobile devices on verizon have wi-fi" they had it before the storm even came out

do you honestly think that microsoft or whatever company paid exclusivity rights to only carry wi-fi devices with windows mobile platform?

I mean common lay off the blaming verizon. If your not satisfied me and many others don't care if you leave carriers..

Some of the points you make about having wi-fi on a device are very valid points but you don't need to use no backing theory's to prove points either please!
    Last edited by noaim; 05-26-09 at 08:24 PM.
    05-26-09 08:19 PM
    Oh yes - I know your type. You sign a contract, without paying attention to what you're getting into, then whine about it later!

You crybabies are all alike!!!

It's okay LR - you're good in my book.
    Come on now, you have no proof, nada about any of this, except the last statement.

Somebody stop me! I think some spiked the punch again.

So. does anyone else see the petty this sounds now stand back and look at this over all thread, with its petty arguements. One thread about is cool and can be a nice debate and gathering of infomration to make a a logical decision. On the other hand some need to just degrade it and loose interest for the others. Once again a few ruin it for the many.
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-26-09 at 08:28 PM.
    05-26-09 08:20 PM
    Come on now, you have no proof, nada about any of this, except the last statement.

Somebody stop me! I think some spiked the punch again.

So. does anyone else see the petty this sounds now stand back and look at this over all thread, with its petty arguements. One thread about is cool and can be a nioce debate and gathering of infomration to make a a logical decision. On the other other hand some need to just degrade it and loose interest for the others. Once again a few ruin it for the many.

yes I see your point and often I admit that I get carried away. I love debating... don't mean to offend anyone.. so if I ruined it for others didn't mean too....
    05-26-09 08:28 PM
    yes I see your point and often I admit that I get carried away. I love debating... don't mean to offend anyone.. so if I ruined it for others didn't mean too....
    Not at all, you respond with intellegent input and respond with info that helps someone make a decsion about wether wifi is a needed option for their use. Your input as well others here is based on research and personal experiance, without bashing of carriers or other users.

Keep up the good work
    05-26-09 08:32 PM
    I love debating to. I don't see anything wrong with debating wifi and gps if it can be done with out personal attacks. There has been some very valid points on both sides of the camp that I have never thought of till I came here.

It does get very old tho when threads that have nothing to do with wifi and gps turn into it.
    05-26-09 08:41 PM
    I love debating to. I don't see anything wrong with debating wifi and gps if it can be done with out personal attacks. There has been some very valid points on both sides of the camp that I have never thought of till I came here.

It does get very old tho when threads that have nothing to do with wifi and gps turn into it.
    I guess thats very true.. thats why a thread like this is kind of needed and hopefully the people wanting to debate about it find it

Not at all, you respond with intellegent input and respond with info that helps someone make a decsion about wether wifi is a needed option for their use. Your input as well others here is based on research and personal experiance, without bashing of carriers or other users.

Keep up the good work
    thanks - However I know I am not always right and thats part of the reason I like debating so much because some peoples point makes you learn more and or find more information -
    05-26-09 08:52 PM
    Debating is good. Do we want WiFi/GPS or not? When it gets into the misinformed tripe that VZW blocks or has control or whatwever is when it goes south.

It also takes a serious left turn when the same slander is brought up repeatedly, or liberally injected all over the place.

To make an honest assumption or statement and be wrong is one thing. To make the same wrong statements again & again indicates a serious mental disorder.

And no, I am not referring to noaim, patches, LR or Sprke.

But that's okay. Those who do it know who they are

05-26-09 09:32 PM
    Bingo & exactly right.

RM, you originally brought up the suit report - from what, three years ago? Yet there isn't another word on it anywhere on the Internet.

Posted with the BS Detector on full alert at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ITT files patent suit versus Verizon, phone makers | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

ITT files patent suit versus Verizon, phone makers
    Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25am EDT

I could care less one way or the other BUT you state there isn't another word on it ANYWHERE on the net. I did a quick search and it took 30 seconds to find one from 2 months ago.

Please don't try to come back at me with with anything other that you were wrong. I could care lest if there is not outcome or where it was filed or what color the guys eyes was that filed it. You have been cocky the whole thread about people being wrong now own your mistake.

05-26-09 10:09 PM
    ITT files patent suit versus Verizon, phone makers | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

I could care less one way or the other BUT you state there isn't another word on it ANYWHERE on the net. I did a quick search and it took 30 seconds to find one from 2 months ago.

Please don't try to come back at me with with anything other that you were wrong. I could care lest if there is not outcome or where it was filed or what color the guys eyes was that filed it. You have been cocky the whole thread about people being wrong now own your mistake.

That suit doesn't really apply to locking gps. It has to do with patents. If you notice that Nokia is included in the suit and they are as far from locking gps as anybody

Twins can be kinda cocky at times and it annoyed me at first but I've learned to just let it roll off. I feel he makes up for it with some of his technical explanations and knowledge that he contributes
    05-26-09 10:24 PM
    Well well well...lol That would be my mistake. I was WRONG! I apologize to you TwinsX2Dad.

That being said I still think he is cocky. This is a internet forum not lets see how has the biggest *****. I have noticed in a lot of threads that 3 or 4 people will gang up on one person. That just ain't right I don't care what the argument or discussion is about.
    05-26-09 11:36 PM

I understand you don't care about it, but you might consider what the above post mentions - it has nothing to do with VZW allowing GPS or not. That suit has to do with the patents in phones made by various manufacturers and sold by VZW.

Here's an interesting tidbit for most of you. Over 10,000 suits are filed against all US wireless carriers each and every year. The track records of the wireless carriers, from AT&T to VZW to Sprint to T-Mobile is rather impressive, as the vast majority of those suits never make it to litigation or even arbitration. Those that do are overwhelmingly carrier sided of results - they are either tossed or ruled in the carriers' favor.

Now that doesn't mean that the carriers are all lily-white & pure, because they aren't. What it does indicate is it is too easy to file a lawsuit, these days, for even the most ludicrous reasons. Too many armchair lawyers think they know more than 500 legal-types in the legal department who have to sign off on every contract & every disclaimer.

So please, again the challenge goes out - come up with something indicating a successful lawsuit against VZW for their GPS (or WiFi) policies. Go ahead. Use Googlecrap even. Check the corp law sites. Check out WSJ.com, Forbes or Fortune. Take a look at Verizon's annual reports. The only thing you will find is unsubstantiated reports of possibly two suits - they might even be the same legal action - from a few years ago, and nothing more. You'd think that with all of the 350 VZW haters who constantly troll sites like this, someone might've found something, anything, to indicate a victory for the downtrodden against the evil Big Red.

Alas, it just isn't there.

05-26-09 11:37 PM
    Aw crud - another phone call, another missed reply.
    Well well well...lol That would be my mistake. I was WRONG! I apologize to you TwinsX2Dad.

That being said I still think he is cocky. This is a internet forum not lets see how has the biggest *****. I have noticed in a lot of threads that 3 or 4 people will gang up on one person. That just ain't right I don't care what the argument or discussion is about.
    Hey - don't worry about it. Many have already pointed to that news item - unfortunately, it isn't a good example.

Yes, I am cocky. At my age & my size, I am not used to being pushed around. I am big enough that I scare little old ladies ahead of my in the checkout line. They turn around, their nose is about at my navel & the look up horrified.

But I am a gentle bear.

It isn't four or five ganging up on one. It is one who hides behind the relative anonymity of the Internet to spout lies and misperceptions - then never offers a shred of assistance to anyone asking an honest question. On top of that, confronted with overwhelming proof, he still refuses to admit error, instead launching into ad-hominem attacks & reporting all who come back at him for his attacks.

That, frankly, is CS. Use your imagination as to what CS is, as I domnt use that kind of language, but it can be said it is sort of fowl poopoo.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 05-26-09 at 11:46 PM.
    05-26-09 11:44 PM
    Ohh I have a pretty good idea what the CS means....lol

I want to clear this up. I was not taking his side. I do believe he dodged the questions asked to him. IMO it is redundent to keep up a conversation with someone that can't or will not own up when they are wrong.

Just because one is able to be cocky may it be from size or intellect it is not very becoming.

Again I did not care one way or another about the story. I just got tired of the back and forth bickering that was going nowhere. so that was the reason I did a quick search. I saw about the Verizon being sued part and a quick glance adout it being about the GPS.

Now If you want to hear about a grip I have with Blackberry and I will say MY ONLY grip with Blackberry phones. Why in the world do they not have FLASH support. I own the Storm and I guess I am one of the few that has never had a problem with mine and love it. The Storm would smash the Iphone with flash support IMO. I will end here as I have already deviated from topic enough.
    Last edited by wndrrd; 05-27-09 at 12:25 AM.
    05-27-09 12:20 AM
    no i think your wrong you said its pretty obvious that its verizonz decision..

How about rim just wants to plop it in there to test there new software on battery issues with wi-fi find out its not fixed yet and remove it...

why does it have to be verizon..

look fight all you want and talk all you want about wi-fi I dont care..

I agree with a lot of it --- but you definitely do make claims very often that really have no backing...

there has been multiple times that we told you "windows mobile devices on verizon have wi-fi" they had it before the storm even came out

do you honestly think that microsoft or whatever company paid exclusivity rights to only carry wi-fi devices with windows mobile platform?

I mean common lay off the blaming verizon. If your not satisfied me and many others don't care if you leave carriers..

Some of the points you make about having wi-fi on a device are very valid points but you don't need to use no backing theory's to prove points either please!
    niaom, I don't make claims, I make speculations, thats it. If we knew the answers, then there would be no debate. I have never stated I know for sure it is Verizon's fault. I speculate given their background and their practices, but thats it! I'm more certain about the GPS issue, but regardless, its all speculation and research on my end. I work in healthcare and my wirelwess knowledge is ..... EXTRA to the field that I work in. I still have learned a lot, but I by no means am "in the industry" to know any sort of inside information.

Debating is good. Do we want WiFi/GPS or not? When it gets into the misinformed tripe that VZW blocks or has control or whatwever is when it goes south.

It also takes a serious left turn when the same slander is brought up repeatedly, or liberally injected all over the place.

To make an honest assumption or statement and be wrong is one thing. To make the same wrong statements again & again indicates a serious mental disorder.

And no, I am not referring to noaim, patches, LR or Sprke.

But that's okay. Those who do it know who they are

see, but if you don't know the answer either, then how can you say that? Everything we speak of is "speculation" therefore, you can't say, "hey, lets debate, BUT.... if you say its verizon's fault, I will insult you and call you a begger or a bottom feeder." Get my point? That is when the debate loses its logical path

Aw crud - another phone call, another missed reply.

Hey - don't worry about it. Many have already pointed to that news item - unfortunately, it isn't a good example.

Yes, I am cocky. At my age & my size, I am not used to being pushed around. I am big enough that I scare little old ladies ahead of my in the checkout line. They turn around, their nose is about at my navel & the look up horrified.

But I am a gentle bear.

It isn't four or five ganging up on one. It is one who hides behind the relative anonymity of the Internet to spout lies and misperceptions - then never offers a shred of assistance to anyone asking an honest question. On top of that, confronted with overwhelming proof, he still refuses to admit error, instead launching into ad-hominem attacks & reporting all who come back at him for his attacks.

That, frankly, is CS. Use your imagination as to what CS is, as I domnt use that kind of language, but it can be said it is sort of fowl poopoo.

Bottom line, its immature. And if your age is up there as you say it is, then I respectfully ask you to act that age. This high school, gang up on one other guy, mentality is stupid and adds NOTHING to the debate.

This is a cell phone discussion! Thats it! Nothing about religion, politics... I'm not talking about your mother, your not talking about mine! Don't take it as if I have insulted your God. I have never insulted you once and I expect the same respect back. If you want these forums to be fruitful and educational then seece the attacks and the recruitment of others on here to join you in this childish high school act!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-27-09 at 07:44 AM.
    05-27-09 07:30 AM
    This is a cell phone discussion! Thats it! Nothing about religion, politics... I'm not talking about your mother, your not talking about mine! Don't take it as if I have insulted your God. I have never insulted you once and I expect the same respect back. If you want these forums to be fruitful and educational then seece the attacks and the recruitment of others on here to join you in this childish high school act!
    Oh yeah. In other places I have seen you speak in a derogatoriy fashion about being Christian, conservative, a fanboy and other assorted things. You weren't reported and the mods did nothing. Anyone who speaks with or engages you is entering a childish high school act.

I would say we need a wifi debate thread with rules but it would be a one post thread and I could list all the pros and cons in one post.

05-27-09 09:15 AM
    If we followed that rule, this would be one dead place. Just face it dogs I've noticed that you usually show up when there's arguments and spirited debating going on. You enjoy it to

05-27-09 10:02 AM
    If we followed that rule, this would be one dead place. Just face it dogs I've noticed that you usually show up when there's arguments and spirited debating going on. You enjoy it to

I am here a lot but don't always take the time to comment. Wifi Fifi makes time here not too enjoyable. But I do take the time when Fifi lies about friends and people I know who contribute. It gets old.

05-27-09 10:28 AM

out of his mere 186 posts, I think more than half of them are either to flame, jump in on a flame, or posted on a wifi discussion... so u do the math

heyyy how bout that! I just made crackberry genius with that one
    05-27-09 11:39 AM
    out of his mere 186 posts, I think more than half of them are either to flame, jump in on a flame, or posted on a wifi discussion... so u do the math
    Hey, look at that. Yet another post of yours that doesn't address the topic or even the subject at hand and which baits others. Then you wonder why everyone treats you as the class clown, and few take you seriously.

Anyone like you who has degraded people for being patriotic or moral isn't to be taken seriously.

Back to the topic:

My attitude on wifi is it is an unnecessary addition that would cost me more money and add complexity to the device. It isn't useful when moving. It eats batteries. It opens people up to charges of unauthorized use of a private network. I use a BB for my work phone because that is what my company gives me. For my personal phone I have a Saga right now. In 6 months who knows what I will have. If something better comes out I may buy it. The Saga rocks though. Much better than BB and I have no use for the wifi so that is shut off.

05-27-09 12:17 PM
    I would consider a different phone then a bb but I have gotten to the place where I really like and can't hardly be without bb messenger. Also I like the way the bb types and the autotext, automatic periods etc.. With windows mobile you have to set up an exchange server to have instant push email.

05-27-09 12:36 PM
    I think wifi would be a nice addition to the Storm. BUT it would not be a deal breaker for me. I will buy the new Storm whenever it is released with or without wifi.

I think all the crazy arguments over it being there or not there is silly. I think the more important argument should be, why the heck don't they have flash support. There are so many thing I would like to do on my Storm that I cant do because the sites requires flash.

Finally why the H*LL would someone bring another's political or religious beliefs up while discussing anything in an internet forum such as Crackberry? Talk about disrespect!
    Last edited by wndrrd; 05-27-09 at 07:03 PM.
    05-27-09 06:59 PM

Anyone like you who has degraded people for being patriotic or moral isn't to be taken seriously.

+1

100% Agree
    05-27-09 07:07 PM
151 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD