05-27-09 07:12 PM
151 ... 34567
tools
    Maybe i'm missing the "Wi-Fi Love" But seriously, with great coverage of the Verizon network and most people getting the Data plan, there really is no need for me to have Wi-Fi. So i dont really see what all the "OMG!!! I NEED WI-FI!!!!" stuff is all about. Sure, if service wasnt exactly easy to come by, or there were Wi-Fi hot spots EVERYWHERE in the world (Which i mean, there are only those at like... Starbucks) then Wi-Fi would be a more realistic thing for a phone. But to be honest, the blackberry browser is in now way supposed to be a laptop replacement for internet, it's there for convenience and convenience alone. So Wi-Fi or not, the browser works, and that's all that matters.
    05-25-09 06:05 PM
    i'm going to type and copy this to WORD because of every time I see a comment like the one above. There's no disrespect, its just that people jump into this argument with an opinion about this subject without reading the real benefits of wifi which has been posted here 1000 times.

#1: overseas travel, particularly in hotels/resorts where wifi is plentiful

#2: Wifi set up is now available on many airlines

#3: Extra coverage in deadzones in the US (businesses, home, work, basements)

#4: primetim2go TV shows are only available for download though wifi

#5 Wifi is faster than 3g
    05-25-09 08:17 PM
    i'm going to type and copy this to WORD because of every time I see a comment like the one above. There's no disrespect, its just that people jump into this argument with an opinion about this subject without reading the real benefits of wifi which has been posted here 1000 times.

#1: overseas travel, particularly in hotels/resorts where wifi is plentiful

#2: Wifi set up is now available on many airlines

#3: Extra coverage in deadzones in the US (businesses, home, work, basements)

#4: primetim2go TV shows are only available for download though wifi

#5 Wifi is faster than 3g
    1. Laptop. If you can afford to go overseas, you have one.

2. Laptop. If you're so addicted to being online, you have one and it is easy to use on the seatback tray.

3. If you can get on those corpnets, fine. But odds are, you won't.

4. Who cares? It is TV. Buy a TV to watch your soaps on.

5. WiFi may be faster, but not on a BB. The speed on a BB is limited and is often faster using cdma.

Why are you not on tmobile yet? Over there you need wifi and the phones have them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 10:46 PM
    1. Laptop. If you can afford to go overseas, you have one.

2. Laptop. If you're so addicted to being online, you have one and it is easy to use on the seatback tray.

3. If you can get on those corpnets, fine. But odds are, you won't.

4. Who cares? It is TV. Buy a TV to watch your soaps on.

5. WiFi may be faster, but not on a BB. The speed on a BB is limited and is often faster using cdma.

Why are you not on tmobile yet? Over there you need wifi and the phones have them.

LOL ... ur post has absolutely no logic for a person that is interested in "tech/innovation."

the whole purpose of technology is to simplify ur life, not to make it complicated! This is why they added a camera and a video camera to phones. this is why they added an MP3 player to phones. This is why they added GPS and maps to phones. This is why they added internet to phones. This is why they added TV to phones. And this is why they added wifi to phones.

To follow your logic, you would support a move that would force you to carry a laptop, digital camera, camcorder, MP3 player or Ipod, a porable navigation system, and a portable TV all at the same time!

It just doesnt make sense for you or any crackberry enthusiest to support such a concept of having to carry a puck or a laptop along with your cellular device that is fully capable of executing those features on its own ..... and within the exact same form factor!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-25-09 at 11:53 PM.
    05-25-09 11:50 PM
    If you want capable, get winmo. If you want a wifi BB, to to att or tmobile.If you want to see something that never makes sense, find a mirror.

05-26-09 12:27 AM
    If you want capable, get winmo. If you want a wifi BB, to to att or tmobile.If you want to see something that never makes sense, find a mirror.

u answered absolutely nothing I said with that comment and contributed ZERO to the discussion
    05-26-09 12:37 AM
    Rican, you show nothing but ignorance to tech and innovation. Try answering some of the BS you bring to the table. I have answered everything you've ever put forth that I saw. Just because you are unable to comprehend facts and reality and logic is no fault of mine.

05-26-09 12:50 AM
    u answered absolutely nothing I said with that comment and contributed ZERO to the discussion
    He has answered more in a single post than you ever will - in a thousand posts, even - you can't seem to back up anything you say with anything that even remotely makes sense.

Heh - he is like the little kid who won't shut up until he gets what he wants, isn't he?

So RM, you still can't come up with anything backing your repeated claims of a successful lawsuit. You still won't explain how it is you didn't research your contract before you got your first ever smartphone, the one you have now. And you haven't come close to explaining why yu didn't know about WiFi before you got into all of this.

Come on, we're all waiting for sense to come of your constant (and tiring) diatribe about WiFi on a device that doesn't offer one.

Let's take a quick review, shall we?

1) You claimed at one point that VZW blocked WiFi on the BlackBerry; that it was there, but VZW locked it down.

2) You have stated that VZW kept RIM from adding WiFi to BlackBerrys.

3) You have stated you couldn't figure out how to work a LG Voyager, then were sold a BlackBerry.

4) You have said VZW doesn't offer WiFi, because they want to rip people off.

5) You have told this forum constant times that VZW was the most expensive, then failed to respond when it was shown AT&T's rates were identical or slightly higher.

6) You have mentioned you didn't know about WiFi or GPS until after you got a BlackBerry.

7) You have said you spend a lot of time in Puerto Rico without first checking to see if your device would work there.

Come on - explain these things before you go on. Explain all of them.

RIM does not make a device which does the things you want it to do - and they haven't ever made one. They are not in the business of making your life easier. They are in the business of making reliable devices primarily for the business market - the kinds of people who do the majority of their work from a laptop or desktop computer & a BlackBerry as a supplemental communications device.

It is not a TV. It is not a radio. It is not a full-blown computer.

And I laugh at anyone who thinks a BlackBerry is fast with WiFi - BlackBerrys can't even use all of the available CDMA bandwidth. People who claim WiFi is faster than their mobile service are usually those on a 2G GSM connection, like T-Mobile, or an immature 3G network, like AT&T. You will not see full WiFi speeds on a BlackBerry. As Dog alluded to, get a laptop, or go to T-Mobile.

Posted from my BS-Detector-Berry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 12:50 AM
    LOL ... ur post has absolutely no logic for a person that is interested in "tech/innovation."

the whole purpose of technology is to simplify ur life, not to make it complicated! This is why they added a camera and a video camera to phones. this is why they added an MP3 player to phones. This is why they added GPS and maps to phones. This is why they added internet to phones. This is why they added TV to phones. And this is why they added wifi to phones.

To follow your logic, you would support a move that would force you to carry a laptop, digital camera, camcorder, MP3 player or Ipod, a porable navigation system, and a portable TV all at the same time!

It just doesnt make sense for you or any crackberry enthusiest to support such a concept of having to carry a puck or a laptop along with your cellular device that is fully capable of executing those features on its own ..... and within the exact same form factor!
    LoL. Got 'em!
    05-26-09 12:55 AM
    He has answered more in a single post than you ever will - in a thousand posts, even - you can't seem to back up anything you say with anything that even remotely makes sense.

Heh - he is like the little kid who won't shut up until he gets what he wants, isn't he?

So RM, you still can't come up with anything backing your repeated claims of a successful lawsuit. You still won't explain how it is you didn't research your contract before you got your first ever smartphone, the one you have now. And you haven't come close to explaining why yu didn't know about WiFi before you got into all of this.

Come on, we're all waiting for sense to come of your constant (and tiring) diatribe about WiFi on a device that doesn't offer one.

1) You claimed at one point that VZW blocked WiFi on the BlackBerry; that it was there, but VZW locked it down.

3) You have stated you couldn't figure out how to work a LG Voyager, then were sold a BlackBerry.

5) You have told this forum constant times that VZW was the most expensive, then failed to respond when it was shown AT&T's rates were identical or slightly higher.

6) You have mentioned you didn't know about WiFi or GPS until after you got a BlackBerry.

7) You have said you spend a lot of time in Puerto Rico without first checking to see if your device would work there.

RIM does not make a device which does the things you want it to do - and they haven't ever made one. They are not in the business of making your life easier. They are in the business of making reliable devices primarily for the business market - the kinds of people who do the majority of their work from a laptop or desktop computer & a BlackBerry as a supplemental communications device.

It is not a TV. It is not a radio. It is not a full-blown computer.

And I laugh at anyone who thinks a BlackBerry is fast with WiFi - BlackBerrys can't even use all of the available CDMA bandwidth. People who claim WiFi is faster than their mobile service are usually those on a 2G GSM connection, like T-Mobile, or an immature 3G network, like AT&T. You will not see full WiFi speeds on a BlackBerry. As Dog alluded to, get a laptop, or go to T-Mobile.

there's an app for that??? sweet!
    05-26-09 01:05 AM
    Because u say it, it must be so

Not interested in insults as it serves zero purpose with the exception of diverting attention from the topic which is clearly in ur interest since u have no answer... Oh, accept the one of u saying that I can't back anything up! Still waiting for the proof of those 2 thrown out cases btw

So RM, you still can't come up with anything backing your repeated claims of a successful lawsuit.
    Again, I've provided more evidence of a lawsuit than u have provided of any court throwing 2 of them out

You still won't explain how it is you didn't research your contract before you got your first ever smartphone, the one you have now.
    I don't have to explain anything to u lol! U love for this to be about me huh? Prevents u from discussing things based on actual points! So much for a debate!

And you haven't come close to explaining why yu didn't know about WiFi before you got into all of this.
    Don't know what ur talking about. Almost feels like I never do now a days

We're all waiting??? There u go again, hiding being ur tiny groupie lol. It doesn't make sense because u say its so? Trademarks if a great debater right there! LOL

1) You claimed at one point that VZW blocked WiFi on the BlackBerry; that it was there, but VZW locked it down

Never clained this LOL

That, I have said is possible

Doesn't even dignify a response

no I didnt

Never said verizon was more than AT&T.

I did? LoL

And?

after u show me the 2 thrown out cases!

Guess all the testers don't know what they're talking about

Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-26-09 at 01:56 AM.
    05-26-09 01:54 AM
    Don't know what ur talking about. Almost feels like I never do now a days
    blackberry came after my displeasure with the LG Voyager. So the benefits of a blackberry didn't hit me until afterward. Data on a voyager was literally useless so I didn't focus on the benefits of internet/data use on a mobile device.

Lets not forget, the data device phenomina started not that long ago (just over a year ago) and its only now that these devices are mainstream and people have had a chance to test them and see what they truly need or dont need!

Plus, I don't pick my service based on how good it is in my summer home in puerto rico! LOL I hope u don't expect all customers to go to their home land within their 30 days to test their devices
    as for the GPS, your 100% correct! RIM created a GPS chip that is fully functional as a stand alone GPS. Then Verizon's requirement for autherizing the phone on its network calls for the GPS to be totally disabled and controled by verizon solely for the purpose of making money!

In a fair world, one would see VZ Nav as a perk and then GPS still functional for whatever you want. The problem with verizon is that if u unlock the GPS, customers might want a 3rd party app verse the VZ Nav so with this tactic, they force u and save themselves from having to compete. That to me sounds like a monopoly that has absolutely no benefit to us.

In theory, they could of just said u have to pay 9.99 to have an unlocked GPS, however, I dont think they can justify that since its fre to begin with. With VZ Nav, they can use the excuse of privacy protection for customers... and that is exactly what they've done. Now for us, we all know its bull! But it gives them an unprovable rebuttal to their argument! Although that has changed in light of the storm GPS being unlocked.

As for BB maps solely being unlocked, I can come up with a god justification for them initiating this. BB Maps is par of RIMs BB OS Software! It shows malitious intent if the very software that RIM provides is blocked by the carrier from being used. So I think in a way, they were sort of forced to unlock it since it would of been an even bigger blunder for verizon and a clear contradiction of what we should be entitled to get as far as GPS is concerned.
    lastly and probably the most malicious of them all is the app for texting that verizon provides! And with the recent controversy with texting pricing and then this....

Lets just say I'm very PO'd about it! It doesnt affect me or any of us really since we have blackberries and we have unlimited data. But just the idea that this even exsist and uses regular text msgs to send IMs is criminal n my book.

After already being expensive (which I agreed to pay when I signed up), those 3 issues make it very hard to want to stay. And the more ppl who leave or complain, the more things will change.... just like unlocking bb maps changed!
    I'm flirting but if these lock downs are not addressed come december, I'm jumping ship as well! Great network, horrible practices!
    well said... the unquestioned loyalty by some people on here is very scary! I know its just a few but these people squew the market will in way that allowed companies like verizon and others to get away with a lot of the things they do.

When things change, and they have in many areas (unlocked BB maps, unlocked storm GPS, restrictions for ring tones/pictures/bluetooth transfers lifted, and many more things, especially in the past) its usually these people that made the delay happen in the first place. And its usually the people that are angry and speak up that make the changes happen for the positive. Thats free market for you!

They just happen to be so warped in thinking that they're doing harm to themselves and don't even seem to see it
    that is incorrect. If ur contract price is valid simply because "you" the customer agreed to what you signed, then why would they (cell companies) be forced to change their termination fees policy nation wide despite that contract you signed when you started? In fact, the big telecoms were forced to eliminate them in the state of california all together. And this did not apply to future contracts, this applied to contracts in place where customers "SIGNED" on that dotted line u just mentioned above agreeing to those very same TERMINATION FEES.

Why would congress be investigating the high cost of text messaging??? With ur school of thought, that would not be warranted since u sign your contract out of free will and knew what you were purchasing when you purchased it!

In the end, its a lot of factors in practices that can violate the law. I'm not a lawyer but I am smart enough to know when I see something wrong here. I find that the GPS lockdown issue has validity in a lawsuit. When all companies get together and create a monopoly on prices (e.g. texting & tethering prices), thats breaking the law! Just because it hasn't gone to court and no official ruling available, doesn't mean that there isn't an issue! But the government has investigated pricing for services and whether they are just and fair for the american people.

Bottom line, this may be somewhat of a "contract" nation, but it isn't "any" contract that goes... There are regulations and fairness laws that come into play here that go wayyy beyond the idea of "free market" mentality
    customers deserve "ACCOUNTABILITY!" Lets repeat this together... A C C O U N T A B I L I T Y!

Accountability for where the money goes (e.g. building the network and quality), what we should get for the price we pay, and a continuation of the same practice day after day!

For those who say "Verizon can pocket everything or do whatever it wants to" and don't feel uneasy with a statement like that........ as CUSTOMERS.....

Well, then I guess one can say that the debate just ends right there! Cuz your either .... #1 NUTS! or.... #2 U work for them and make a profit!
    thats in part true... but there are times when and fairness in a free market goes out the window in place of entrapment and monopolizing practices. Your wallet can't control everything and government intervention is sometimes required to keep everyone playing nice. Self interest is not a self policing concept
    and of course, with u, its all black and white ... thats what's so scary about republicans! I don't want to envoke politics here but you have the same mindset .... that in life, there are solely "absolutes." And while the world advances and becomes more and more progressive, you'll be holding on to your absolutes and your radicalness... Be it the mobile industry ... or ... the fact that we have a black "QUALIFIED" president which obviously bothers you greatly. Those who believe in absolutes are the last to change... scary!
    wait till this douch needs a LOE one day for a real emergency...

let him tell the cop that he is a pencil pushing revenue collecting unintellectual ***** in a uniform

LMAO! This guy is something else!
    4 year degree is required for the sgts exam ... withn NYPD anyway... as for a code? whats that mean? running to get a code for a combination lock?

guess I must not be a medic

I mean shoot, I can't even abrev law enforcement officer properly so what do I know
    if u wanna get technical, a 2 year degree is not required.... try 60 college credits

second, I don't know what "running a code" is refered to since it can mean several things. But "working a code" in my business is a cardiac arrest. Responding code "#" is ur level response to a job (in this case, ambluance call)

its not just simply "lights n sirens"
    It's okay you don't know what I am taking about - it is obvious you don't know what you're talking about either.

It's convenient many holes have appeared now after you've been on a deleting spree.

There should be an auto-lock for topics. Anytime RM gets into a topic & mentions WiFi or GPS, the topic should be auto-locked.

As this one should be.
    05-26-09 03:04 AM
    I feel special

btw, not one of those posts I made makes any of the points u described above that! Try again!

on second thought, please don't! Ur copy/pasting is a mess and frankly, I'm not even sure what your trying so hard to prove...
    05-26-09 06:48 AM
    Ur copy/pasting is a mess and frankly, I'm not even sure what your trying so hard to prove...
    A) It was 1AM. And now I've been up since 4:30AM

B) It was not supposed to make sense - I was doing as you always do. A nonsensical response dodging the issue, without ever answering a thing. Plus it is a reminder to all as to your writing style, your readiness to call names & your penchant for the ad-hominem attacks.

I also showed a post where you mentioned that your current BlackBerry is your first smartphone. Yet you said here you didn't know what I was talking about? Your said it didn't justify a response. Go ahead - scroll up & read your own words.

There are many here who have had to suffer through your claims, with zero backing. Until you can earnestly answer any of your previous claims, you have become nothing but a sideshow.

Oh - your claim that the "testers" tell you that WiFi is faster than CDMA lacks an essential element: the CDMA BlackBerry have they used with WiFi.

05-26-09 08:48 AM

That has been proven by testers that have worked on upcoming verizon devices. There has been wifi on Verizon berries and it was Verizon that make the decision to remove it. I do think that technical issues are the reason they have removed so far and not to keep their customers from having wifi.

I believe they are trying and will get us wifi soon unless the testers are all lying to us.
    05-26-09 09:01 AM
    That has been proven by testers that have worked on upcoming verizon devices. There has been wifi on Verizon berries and it was Verizon that make the decision to remove it. I do think that technical issues are the reason they have removed so far and not to keep their customers from having wifi.

I believe they are trying and will get us wifi soon unless the testers are all lying to us.
    I've pretty much heard that RIM actually has even laid out the wifi chip on these test devices. CX has stated that the info spec sheets show wifi as part of the packages. Then at the end of the game it just goes away. So I'm not sure as well as why this is the case (could be money, battery drainage, a combination of both, who knows), but its pretty obvious that Verizon is making this decision, otherwise RIM wouldn't even start with making space and laying out the chip in the first place.
    05-26-09 09:16 AM
    I've pretty much heard that RIM actually has even laid out the wifi chip on these test devices. CX has stated that the info spec sheets show wifi as part of the packages. Then at the end of the game it just goes away. So I'm not sure as well as why this is the case (could be money, battery drainage, a combination of both, who knows), but its pretty obvious that Verizon is making this decision, otherwise RIM wouldn't even start with making space and laying out the chip in the first place.
    If Verizon is making the decision, how come no other CDMA carrier has a CDMA Blackberry with wi-fi either? Sprint is supposed to be the most open network, and they don't have one. Was it Verizon's choice to make them not have wi-fi either?
    05-26-09 12:14 PM
    If Verizon is making the decision, how come no other CDMA carrier has a CDMA Blackberry with wi-fi either? Sprint is supposed to be the most open network, and they don't have one. Was it Verizon's choice to make them not have wi-fi either?
    that is the single only argument that makes sense. And if I knew the answer, I would tell u. However, u have to at least agree that I have a point as well...
    05-26-09 12:46 PM
    Thats a good point. Maybe VZ is even pushing RIM to include wifi?? I dunno, but I think that Verizon takes it away because its compromising performance in some area. We have a lot of evidence that its something to do with cdma wifi together in a blackberry that RIM hasn't overcome yet. None of the other cdma carriers have enough push and shove to get rim to make wifi work but you take big red and maybe they want it and are testing the storm and tour but its not quite there yet. This is just speculation.
    05-26-09 02:26 PM
    rican, every thread that has wi-fi or GPS in it becomes a train wreck as soon as you speak up. you spew opinions and hear say and propaganda about VZW as if it is fact...

VZW does not tell RIM what to do with ALL OF THEIR CDMA devices...nor do they "lock" GPS....the developers of the GPS apps have yet to provide software that can pass their testing, and therefore are not given access to it. the only apps that has passed so far are google maps for the storm and BB maps...even RIM had to re-write to get access...

you are so close minded that it hurts, and i hope someday you mature enough to possibly view things from someone else's perspective other than your own.
    05-26-09 03:14 PM
    rican, every thread that has wi-fi or GPS in it becomes a train wreck as soon as you speak up. you spew opinions and hear say and propaganda about VZW as if it is fact...

VZW does not tell RIM what to do with ALL OF THEIR CDMA devices...nor do they "lock" GPS....the developers of the GPS apps have yet to provide software that can pass their testing, and therefore are not given access to it. the only apps that has passed so far are google maps for the storm and BB maps...even RIM had to re-write to get access...

you are so close minded that it hurts, and i hope someday you mature enough to possibly view things from someone else's perspective other than your own.
    u say I spew facts when I've done no such thing (I've only speculated), and then u turn around and spew some facts of your own?

guess google maps only passed security for the storm and not the curve huh? lol

And u talk about it as fact? Think u need to do a little research first, especially about the mechanics of GPS and how and why it is locked
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-26-09 at 03:21 PM.
    05-26-09 03:17 PM
    actually, yes...the google maps app has only been approved for the storm. i suggest you contact google about it, and ask why you can't use their app on a curve but you can on the storm...
    05-26-09 03:43 PM
    actually, yes...the google maps app has only been approved for the storm. i suggest you contact google about it, and ask why you can't use their app on a curve but you can on the storm...
    Chew on this....

aGPS is locked down on both the 8330 curve AND the storm devices! Ponder that one and then come back if you want more information as to why and how your able to use your google maps on your storm
    05-26-09 06:22 PM
    Chew on this....

aGPS is locked down on both the 8330 curve AND the storm devices! Ponder that one and then come back if you want more information as to why and how your able to use your google maps on your storm
    +1

I new that agps didn't work because verizon doesn't allow access to it..
    05-26-09 06:43 PM
    +1

I new that agps didn't work because verizon doesn't allow access to it..
    as i posted earlier, it wasn't given access until an app passed VZW's network certification test. they have to apply for access, and be approved.
    05-26-09 06:44 PM
151 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD