05-27-09 08:12 PM
151 12345 ...
tools
    never know.. but just know my rants about it went further than just this forum. But regardless, putting the word out in any form is enough to cause "CHATTER!" And any chatter about the subject is good chatter and always helps make others stand up as well...
    05-17-09 10:14 PM
    Could be, you down play the power of the letter. You have no idea how many others have done exactly what you have done. This is a big unknown factor in play here.
    The power of the letter is good. What throws it off is when 201 letters are received wanting something, compared to the volume of other letters & requests they get - not much going to happen. Especially when we all know the carriers don't make the phones. Then again, wasn't RM one of those claiming these phones had WiFi & such, but that VZW turned the features off?

And no - I make no claims to knowing there were 201 letters. It is an illustration as to how minor something like this is. They probably get more letters from people upset about a 20-40 message limit in voicemail - and that is something VZW can control.
    05-17-09 10:14 PM
    The power of the letter is good. What throws it off is when 201 letters are received wanting something, compared to the volume of other letters & requests they get - not much going to happen. Especially when we all know the carriers don't make the phones. Then again, wasn't RM one of those claiming these phones had WiFi & such, but that VZW turned the features off?
    no, I never made that claim. That would imply that a wifi chip would still be inside the phones. From testers of 9630, I believe some test devices had it, some didn't. In the end, it most likely will go to production this July without it.

And no - I make no claims to knowing there were 201 letters. It is an illustration as to how minor something like this is. They probably get more letters from people upset about a 20-40 message limit in voicemail - and that is something VZW can control.
    You contradicted urself in the same post, LOL. First the power of the letter is good, then u go backward in your second paragraph!

Hey, in the end, "the letter" is the most powerful form of expression within any industry. So whether this or other factors change their mind about wifi, fact of the matter is, this was the single only move I could do as a customer before deciding to switch carriers. And they have till dec which if all the rumors are correct, will be plenty of time for vz to push out a wifi/3g blackberry wth dual GPS or unlocked agps (but I'll settle for dual mode). If they want to earn my business, that is the spec that needs to come to light
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-17-09 at 10:24 PM.
    05-17-09 10:22 PM
    I didn't contradict myself - I was illustrating a point. That point is the vast majority of cell phone customers on, any carrier, couldn't care less. If they did care, the devices VZW sells that are WiFi capable would be off the charts. They are not - most don't care, so most letters to VZW don't mention this issue.

There have been several petitions online in an attempt to get VZW or RIM or LG or whomever to offer this - and none have garnered much attention.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 10:35 PM
    I didn't contradict myself - I was illustrating a point. That point is the vast majority of cell phone customers on, any carrier, couldn't care less. If they did care, the devices VZW sells that are WiFi capable would be off the charts. They are not - most don't care, so most letters to VZW don't mention this issue.

There have been several petitions online in an attempt to get VZW or RIM or LG or whomever to offer this - and none have garnered much attention.

guess this one was different given recent colaborated rumors...
    05-17-09 10:47 PM
    Again, you regurgitate rumors. I live in a factual world of reality.

05-17-09 11:06 PM
    ricanmedic, i didn't see anyone else touch on this so thought i'd chime in here...

the voice/data issue is a technology restriction, not something they "lock down"

VZW makes a majority of their money off of data, so it would be in their best interest to allow you access to it as much as you want! this is one of the new added benefits that LTE will bring to the table, but idk if the LTE/CDMA devices will be capable of it at first. once they have all LTE radio chipsets then i'm sure it'll run that way. idk how long that will be from now though.
    05-18-09 02:34 AM
    ricanmedic, i didn't see anyone else touch on this so thought i'd chime in here...

the voice/data issue is a technology restriction, not something they "lock down"
    I never blamed vz for the voice/data thing. Thats the one area thats a clear CDMA limitation thing...

VZW makes a majority of their money off of data, so it would be in their best interest to allow you access to it as much as you want! this is one of the new added benefits that LTE will bring to the table, but idk if the LTE/CDMA devices will be capable of it at first. once they have all LTE radio chipsets then i'm sure it'll run that way. idk how long that will be from now though.
    Lets hope its soon... and its good to look to the future, but for arguments sake, I think its more useful to argue about what IS verse what will be. Especially when we're talking about 2 to 4 years down the road. Lets not forget, just because its rolled out in 2 years, doesnt mean it will be optimal until a year or 2 after that. Still exciting.! But I don't want o water down current problems with what will resolve when that far down the road
    05-18-09 01:37 PM
    good point. but we're talking like sometime next year it'll be implemented in major markets. but the full on LTE only with equal coverage to what we have now with 1XEV is prolly a good 3 years away.
    05-18-09 01:51 PM
    Wow that's pretty optimistic. Verizon says full coverage by 2014 for LTE. We're talking a massive undertaking here. I'll be happy if your right.

05-19-09 02:26 PM
    I respectfully disagree. Remember that nearly half of Verizon is owned by Vodafone. The massive global reach of Vodafone suggests that they will push for a rapid deployment of LTE here in the States while they explode into the Global Marketplace with it. I predict that by 2011 we will have full LTE capability and seamless global roaming with our parent, Vodafone.
    well the initial rollout will be major markets, i know that for a fact. and there will be a time where LTE will be a data only connection ,and EVDO will be a backup for where LTE isn't available, etc...so the phones will have 2G/3G/4G radios in them. the only part i'm uncertain about is the date which they're aiming for to have full U.S. coverage at least equal to what they have now with EVDO and 1X service.
    05-19-09 02:38 PM
    Hopefully LTE is soon. I'm due for an upgrade right now, but I'm waiting for an LTE Blackberry.
    05-19-09 03:52 PM
    Hopefully LTE is soon. I'm due for an upgrade right now, but I'm waiting for an LTE Blackberry.
    well LTE won't be available until sometime next year, you'd be able to buy a new phone now, and be eligible for an annual upgrade by the time it was available in your area, and like i said, it won't be a full LTE device, like my previous post explains.
    05-19-09 04:03 PM
    Certain markets are in testing now. I will have to look for it, but I believe that the plan is to bring our 30 largest markets online rather quickly, as in first part of next year. Don't get mad if I am wrong, I am presently researching my statements. I will amend/post back-up when I get more facts.

we're both on the same team here, diffusing misinformation and helping people. i won't get mad, we're only discussing what info we have at our disposal. and since i don't work for VZW anymore, i'm sure you could get more than i could at any moment. but the people i talk to are in direct dealing with the testing aspects of devices and services on multiple levels and departments of the company, so what i hear might not be available to find as a resource internally yet...
    05-19-09 04:07 PM
    LTE shouldn't even be discussed in this thread for several reasons.... LTE is not an excuse to not have wifi. Cant use LTE on a plane.... or a country that doesnt have LTE. But the biggest point of all is that LTE is not even among our choices today! Even the devices in the pipeline are not on LTE! Its nice to look to the future but each period where devices come out are within a 1 to 2 year interval. And as of right now, the devices within the intervals are 3g, not LTE!

LTE is a great subject in itself..... but for another thread
    05-21-09 07:41 PM
    LTE shouldn't even be discussed in this thread for several reasons.... LTE is not an excuse to not have wifi. Cant use LTE on a plane.... or a country that doesnt have LTE. But the biggest point of all is that LTE is not even among our choices today! Even the devices in the pipeline are not on LTE! Its nice to look to the future but each period where devices come out are within a 1 to 2 year interval. And as of right now, the devices within the intervals are 3g, not LTE!

LTE is a great subject in itself..... but for another thread
    Pot calling the kettle here. How many other threads have you polluted with WI-FI issues
    05-21-09 07:46 PM
    so why dont u start a thread about why there are so many wifi threads?
    05-21-09 09:57 PM
    so why dont u start a thread about why there are so many wifi threads?
    Mainly frustration and humor at this point and I think that was rather well explained just aboutin the first sentence of the thread I started.
    05-21-09 10:01 PM
    its an issue! when will u realize its an issue with legs! When ppl complain, things change! It happened with 4.5 being semi unlocked, it happened with storm having dual GPS, its going to happen with wifi now, and it happened in the past with other stuff. Don't complain about the complainers... and then turn around and enjoy the benefits that come with what they were fighting for! I think they call people who do that ...... hypocrits?
    05-21-09 10:11 PM
    I don't know bout the legal or technical issues, but for the first time recently, I was disappointed I did not have WiFi. I was on vacation in Rome. My Storm worked find outside, but in my hotel, I had no signal unless held the phone outside my window. The hotel had free WiFi throughout, but I couldn't use it. (In fairness, at home I have never had a problem with Verizon's signal.) But more is always better!
    05-23-09 09:48 AM
    I don't know bout the legal or technical issues, but for the first time recently, I was disappointed I did not have WiFi. I was on vacation in Rome. My Storm worked find outside, but in my hotel, I had no signal unless held the phone outside my window. The hotel had free WiFi throughout, but I couldn't use it. (In fairness, at home I have never had a problem with Verizon's signal.) But more is always better!
    Great post. More can be better and there are those instances where WiFi can be advantageous. For most of us, though, there are far more important things that affect us on a daily basis.

I look first at network reliability. Then service. From there, I choose a device I can live with on a daily basis from what is offered. If WiFi was on my list, I might have to give a little to get that, but it isn't even a concern for me. I have laptops that are within reach 24X7 if I need a WiFi connection.

I don't use a "world phone" as my main device, because I don't need GSM capabilities. For the same reason, I don't get a WiFi phone, because I don't need WiFi connectivity. For all the people who constantly complain about CDMA BlackBerrys not having WiFi, what about GSM? Why can't I get a Curve or Pearl or Niagara with CDMA and GSM? I mean, there might be times I can't get a CDMA signal, but there are GSM signals. For AT&T & T-Mobile customers, they might need CDMA from time to time. Oh wait - those carriers might not like that as you'd be able to see which is more reliable & faster.

AT&T & T-Mobile are crippling their phones and keeping me from CDMA!!!

Note: some of the above post was written with tongue-in-cheek. I am NOT starting a CDMA vs GSM thing again.

05-23-09 01:30 PM
    I've got it!!! Lets invent a new cellular technology!!! We'll call it GCDMAC (global system for CDMA communications)

It will include unlimited global minutes, unlimited global data, unlocked military grade gps, and global wi fi all for only $499.99/ month. The device will be a new BlackBerry/WinMo Hybrid device available for $999.99 after mail in rebate an a 10 year contract!!!

Meanwhile back here in reality...
    WOW! the lighter side of Matt! I know it was in there some where
    05-23-09 02:41 PM
    for me, thats the #1 reason for wifi! Its not about aiding the network in hard to reach places in the US (although it helps), its about global travel. And lets get real here, blackberries originally were supposed to be for business users! Who travels more than business users???

This is why VZ markets this phones as "global!" They know its for successful business users FIRST, then everyone else second. Blackberries aren't your average PDA which makes the lack of wifi that much more rediculous! This is why I hate it when ppl say they dont need wifi because the network is so great... YEA! BUT ONLY IN THE US!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-23-09 at 05:17 PM.
    05-23-09 05:15 PM

your going to be waiting for a long time.. as LTE wont be rolled out for a while and when it is there will be very minimal devices for it...

if you upgraded your phone today they may be close to releasing a lte berry the time your contract is up.. and even doing so lte may not be offered in your area..
    05-23-09 06:01 PM
    I've got it!!! Lets invent a new cellular technology!!! We'll call it GCDMAC (global system for CDMA communications)

It will include unlimited global minutes, unlimited global data, unlocked military grade gps, and global wi fi all for only $499.99/ month. The device will be a new BlackBerry/WinMo Hybrid device available for $999.99 after mail in rebate an a 10 year contract!!!

Meanwhile back here in reality...
    WOW! the lighter side of Matt! I know it was in there some where
    Maybe so, but he forgot the most important part - made especially for guys. Since we guys know the most important parts of grooming are to make sure crotch, butt, armpits & teeth stay clean, we will be including a special feature just for men.

A popout brush to get all four clean - and it will be included at no additional charge.

Just think - a phone that keeps you in touch on any network and also helps keep you clean!

We're still working on the waterproofing part, but Matt has found that a single brush works just fine.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 05-24-09 at 12:32 AM.
    05-23-09 09:04 PM
151 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD