05-27-09 08:12 PM
151 1234 ...
tools
    I think the point is, why NOT have wifi as an option. There ARE uses for it. In my house for example, I have a garbage data connection, but a pervasive wifi signal. Its really frustrating trying to get a simple page to load on my Curve and having to watch those damn arrows and pray they'll flash enough to load a couple KB of data!
    Try these for an answer:

Research In Motion (RIM)

Head Office

295 Phillip Street
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Canada N2L 3W8

Tel: (519) 888-7465
    Fax: (519) 888-7884

Inquiries

Company or product inquiries: For more information about Research In Motion (RIM) and its products, please visit Research Assistance or email help@rim.com.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

ITT Corp. (ITT) filed a lawsuit against Verizon Wireless and several handset players, alleging the companies illegally used its global positioning system technology in their phones.

The company said Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD), continues to infringe on the patent by selling cellphones adapted to operate with assisted GPS technology and by providing services including support for GPS. ITT said it has notified Verizon Wireless of the patent.

A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman declined to comment on the litigation.

ITT, White Plains, N.Y., also said Verizon Wireless has induced other companies to violate the patent by encouraging them to sell GPS phones and provide a cellular network that supports GPS operations.

Other defendants in the patent-infringement case include handset makers LG Electronics Inc. (066570.SE); Motorola Inc. (MOT); Kyocera Corp. (KYO); and Nokia Corp. (NOK). Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM), which makes chips for cellphones, was also named as a defendant.

ITT settled patent-infringement claims several years ago against other wireless companies in disputes concerning assisted GPS technology.

Assisted GPS was initially developed partly because the government wanted a way for emergency responders to locate people in trouble. But more recently, the wireless industry has used location technology as a tentpole for an array of services, including recommendations for nearby ATM machines or restaurants, or advertisements based on nearby stores.

The company is demanding a permanent injunction against the defendants to prevent them from infringing on the patent further, except where needed to support 911 calls.

A Motorola spokesman said, "We do not think we're in the wrong and we'll defend ourselves vigorously." Qualcomm, LG, Kyocera all declined to comment. Nokia couldn't be reached for comment.

ITT's shares were recently down 63 cents at $38.53, while Verizon lost 95 cents to $29.56.

-By Kerry E. Grace, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5089; kerry.grace@dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires" http://www.smartmoney.com/news/on/?s...25-000745-1549
    Wrong - try again. That had absolutely nothing to do with VZW not offering GPS. It had everything to do with an aGPS technology patent in the affected devices. It was more directed toward Qualcomm, Kyocera, Motorola... you posting that as proof tells me you're seriously out of toch with the reality of telecom & technology.
    05-17-09 07:00 PM
    Wrong - try again. That had absolutely nothing to do with VZW not offering GPS. It had everything to do with an aGPS technology patent in the affected devices. It was more directed toward Qualcomm, Kyocera, Motorola... you posting that as proof tells me you're seriously out of toch with the reality of telecom & technology.
    I knew I saw it somewhere...

Verizon deactivates the built-in GPS capabilities of many current phones and PDAs. For example, its recently introduced Blackberry 8830 and 8130 both have full GPS capabilities and the Blackberry Maps application which uses the GPS capability for tracking and navigation. Verizon has disabled the GPS to all other mapping applications other than its own VZ Navigator. On November 30, 2007 Verizon Wireless was named in a class action lawsuit alleging that the wireless giant wrongfully and unfairly deceived purchasers of BlackBerry model 8830 smartphones by advertising that the devices were "GPS Enabled." Upon purchase, the suit alleges that Verizon intentionally disabled the devices' free, built-in global positioning systems (GPS) then offered a proprietary Verizon fee-for-service GPS

Deborah Nathan (12-10-2007), Telecommunications Industry Litigation Reporter, 11 (15 ed.), Andrews Publications
    05-17-09 07:10 PM
    Now go look at what happened to that suit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 07:17 PM
    He googled "Verizon GPS Lawsuit" and posted what he saw.
    05-17-09 07:20 PM
    I love my tmobile curve with wifi,
    It was even the best when my buddy brought over his storm and being cocky with his 3g through verizon, and did a quick google search and mine was faster!!
    Ha ha ha
    Nothing personal to you verizon owners, I just hate verizon with all my heart, LONG story so please take this as my opinion and not an attack (as I am sure there is someone who had a bad expierience with tmobile)

WI FI rocks
    05-17-09 07:28 PM
    If I'm at home on my wifi, I'm on my PC not my blackberry.
    05-17-09 07:31 PM
    He googled "Verizon GPS Lawsuit" and posted what he saw.
    yup... because I read it in multiple places. Why? Did I do something worth mentioning what I searched for? LOL u try to hold on to anything u can dont u?

I dont know the outcome, all I know if the articles saying there were cases filed. I simply mention that its a coincidence that now dual mode is the main form of GPS now.... also, I'm waiting for twins proof of those cases being thrown out. hmmmmmmm
    05-17-09 07:48 PM
    You think it takes four years after the lawsuit for BB/VzW to comply?
    05-17-09 07:52 PM
    i nver said I knew the results of it. However, twins said he did
    05-17-09 08:03 PM

Here's another tidbit folks - one you may not want to hear - the long-term analysts are saying that RIM is on its way down; that in five years, RIM will be where Palm is today - on the ropes. Between Microsoft & Google, both of whom could buy RIM lock, stock & barrel, shut it down & never blink, RIM has a long row to hoe - and from the technical aspects, it doesn't look good. Toss in Apple and the coolness factor of that - and the establishment feel of RIM looks even more bleak.
    Surely your not basing that on what some long term analysts are saying. I have very little faith on what some of those analysts are saying. I could give some examples but it would be far off topic.

Seem to me like its microsoft that needs to "kick the tires and light the fires" with their windows mobile product. If you want to talk about what analysts are saying there's plenty of them saying that microsoft is doing lots of wrong things with windows mobile.

I tried windows mobile the last 2 days again and it didn't take long and I was back to Blackberry. I know this is my opinion only and since this is a blackberry site, I think I can get away with this but I think that windows mobile just plain sucks.
    05-17-09 08:19 PM
    well I read somewhere that blackberries are the hardest devices to crack when it comes to hacking. Thats another very promising feature of these devices as if it needed another to fight to stay on top

as for winmob being the way to go for wifi, I gotta stop you there and just correct u or at least add that its only the way to go on CDMA! Blackberry currently gets all the wifi love on GSM so its not across the board ... blackberry wise

I know u knew this, I just dont want to confuse the newcomers that might be reading
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-17-09 at 08:44 PM.
    05-17-09 08:42 PM
    Hmm.. I just read a article that was posted Friday that RIM's shares are plunging so maybe Twins is on to something lol. It was posted on a Macintosh site so I dunno if thats accurate either.
    05-17-09 08:47 PM
    I didn't say you knew the results but you're equating getting Dual GPS to this lawsuit.. How do they connect?
    05-17-09 08:57 PM
    the lawsuit was in regard to an unusable GPS and VZ monopolizing vz nav right?

The storm allows all 3rd party apps does it not? Sounds like something has changed, if not directrly related to the lawsuit, its directly related to bad publicity steming from the practice and maybe even the lawsuit itself...
    05-17-09 09:26 PM

The storm allows all 3rd party apps does it not? Sounds like something has changed, if not directrly related to the lawsuit, its directly related to bad publicity steming from the practice and maybe even the lawsuit itself...
    Or maybe, just maybe, it was they people that voiced their wants though proper channels, rather than posting on forums
    05-17-09 09:31 PM
    Or maybe, just maybe, it was they people that voiced their wants though proper channels, rather than posting on forums
    Like Voice of the Customer through VZW customer service?!?!?!
    05-17-09 09:34 PM
    Like Voice of the Customer through VZW customer service?!?!?!
    That might be one method. Maybe even writing through many channels with in VZW
    05-17-09 09:52 PM
    ohhh, you mean like what I did in this thread when I wrote to the CEO of VZW and got a very encouraging call back from their office saying that my voice was heard?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/let-us-heard-194918/
    05-17-09 09:54 PM

What BlackBerry didn't allow apps to be loaded & used? Was it the 7000 series? Nope - got that. How about the 6000 series? Nope, any BlackBerry app was loadable on those too.

Had WinMo & WinCE phones from Verizon that offered full app compatibility with those OSs - what pipedream are you referring to this time?
    05-17-09 09:56 PM
    ohhh, you mean like what I did in this thread when I wrote to the CEO of VZW and got a very encouraging call back from their office saying that my voice was heard?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/let-us-heard-194918/
    Could be, you down play the power of the letter. You have no idea how many others have done exactly what you have done. This is a big unknown factor in play here.
    05-17-09 09:57 PM

and what I said was. The lawsuit was from '05 right? You think that it took four years for VzW/BB to comply with the lawsuit? Wrong.
    i dont know why the link is not working but here's what I wrote to the CEO offices:

also go to planetfeedback.com and write verizon wireless a letter from there. It goes directly to the CEO. From what I undertand, it is extremely worth it:

My Note in full:

Hello,
    My name is Jason and I have been a Verizon customer for over 8+ years now and am also a proud V.I.P Customer. I have been extremely happy with my service overall, network, customer service, etc. However, the purpose of my e-mail is to raise the discussion over the intentional elimination of wifi on your entire Blackberry line. I have discussed this issue with many customers, telecom engineers, 3rd party tech and review companies, crackberry, etc. The general concensus is that many blackberry customers are tired and feeling the need to jump ship to a network that does not limit this technology.

I would like to share a few reasons why wifi is so important to us.

With Blackberries being marketed as "world phones" we cannot use our data plans freely overseas within a wifi hotspot, especially in hotels and resorts where wifi is usually plentiful. Just recently, wifi has been made available on many airliners (in flight) for a nominal fee. This is a technology that us Verizon customers cannot take advantage of because of this limitation.

RIM next week is announcing downloadable TV shows via its service through wifi only (for speed and to relieve 3g network traffic). When this technology rolls out, Verizon customers will be in the dark.

When data signal are weak (in buildings, hospitals, basements, rural), wifi is a great alternative not just for a solid signal for data, but also for a faster one. Wifi is also proven to be almost twice as fast as 3g just generally speaking.

I have explored with many different groups for a justification for Verizon's elimination of wifi and while we have not come up with a good reasoning behind it, one thing we have learned from several telecom testers is that there is no hardware limitation for CDMA blackberry devices to work with wifi.

So as I have stated earlier, I am "otherwise" satisfied with Verizon as I believe many others are that I speak to as well. Many of us are just extremely tired of the limitation on new technology (most recently with the Storm and now the upcoming 9630). Please take this letter into consideration and forward or direct it to the appropriate medium, thank you. Hope to remain a loyal Verizon Wireless customer in the future, but with a constant limiting of features, it is becoming extremely difficult for me and others like me to maintain that loyalty to your company.

Jason F. (V.I.P Customer)
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-17-09 at 10:00 PM.
    Do we get to see the response?
    05-17-09 10:00 PM
    the response was a phone call from a woman from corporate that told me my voice and others were heard. She stated that she cannot confirm anything in the pipeline obviously, but that verizon does take customers like me's toughts into consideration and welcome the feedback. The biggest part however was when she said very carefully to me "based on your well writen and knowledgable letter, your voice was definitely heard!"
    05-17-09 10:05 PM
    OKay, then your and many others. Maybe enought to sway the powers that be.
    05-17-09 10:12 PM
151 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD