Which phone do you guys recommend without this being a BlackBerry site obviously! I use my phone strictly for web surfing, heavy text and MMS messaging, calling, camera and video taking, and just your basic phone functions like a financial tracker (Ascendo Money) and the usual stuff.

I have read great great great reviews about the XV6900:

Verizon Wireless XV6900 available now: Gogogo! | Crave : The gadget blog

So far it's said to blow the iPhone out of the water, and is apparently about 100 times more customizable than the BlackBerry as well. What do you guys think!
    04-21-08 06:48 AM
    If the onscreen keyboard on the Touch doesn't bother you, then go with it. You can always try a product called TouchPal for a really nice onscreen keyboard solution. The MS based phones are definatly WAY more customizable then any Blackberry is, so that's almost a no brainer. However, you'll loose some key features like Dial From Home Screen and quick little tasks such as that. In terms of email support, both do an adequate job and you really don't see a major improvement unless you're using something like BES and even then it's not all heaven or anything. One major downer however is battery life. The Blackberry will kill any other smartphone when it comes to battery life.

As far as saying that the Touch kills the iPhone, I wouldn't go that far. The Touch has been out a long time and it's never been said to do anything close to killing the iPhone. With iPhone's 2.0 software release including ActiveSync support, expect it to have even more support in a corporate environment with Exchange boxes. The Touch also lacks multi-touch controls that the iPhone does have.

In the end, I think it would be a wise move for you to really take some time and sit down with both devices and see what feels right. Take your time and review each one before you pull the trigger. But ultimatly, if you're more of a geek, you'll probably go with the Touch because you'll feel tied down and limited with a Blackberry that you can't customize.
    04-21-08 08:55 AM
    WOAH the HTC touch? we have this on Bell in Canada, doesn't blow anything but bubbles I'm afraid. The phone it self has horrible battery life, It's reception is poor. We've had maybe 50% of them come back DOA. the touchscreen part of it is laggy and hard to use. all around I've yet to meet one of our customers happy with this phone. BOO on all levels. Also I've found, and I've seen it reflected in my customers, that windows mobile devices are typically less stable including the 3rd party software not necessarily being stable (no one mention IM+ for BB lol)
    Last edited by wolff46; 04-21-08 at 09:08 AM.
    04-21-08 09:04 AM
    Curve.

I had my treo w/wm 2 years too long.
    04-21-08 12:09 PM
    I had a Motorola Q and I went through about five of them before I switched over to blackberry. My dad also has an xv6700 and between the stability issues of both- we've just spent too much time phoneless and with problems! I reccomend the blackberry, but obviously I'm biased, but then again I've used a few windows mobile phones too!

But ultimately go ahead and like they said above, sit down and decide what's best for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 01:15 PM
    get a bb curve!!
    04-21-08 01:56 PM
    All you people with stability issues with WM make me laugh. I've used them forever and it's no less stable then a BB when it's stuck in limbo land, but no one seems to count how many times people ask "Have you pulled your battery?". Come on guys, you guys must not know what you're doing. I'm staring at an XV6800 right now that's been up for 4 weeks without a blink and no sign of blinking anytime soon. I can't help it that you've had bad experiences with poor devices (Palm w/WM), but that's no reason to blanket statment that WM is unstable on ANY phone. Treos are notorious for having issues, Palm OS ones way more then the 700wx.

Either way, if there's anything that should keep you from getting a WM phone compared to a BB it should be battery life above all else. I'm going blind looking at my 8830's screen, when is RIM going to step up and put a real screen on these things?
    04-21-08 06:50 PM
    I'd forget the 6900 and go with the 6800 or 6700.
    04-21-08 06:56 PM
    All you people with stability issues with WM make me laugh. I've used them forever and it's no less stable then a BB when it's stuck in limbo land, but no one seems to count how many times people ask "Have you pulled your battery?". Come on guys, you guys must not know what you're doing. I'm staring at an XV6800 right now that's been up for 4 weeks without a blink and no sign of blinking anytime soon. I can't help it that you've had bad experiences with poor devices (Palm w/WM), but that's no reason to blanket statment that WM is unstable on ANY phone. Treos are notorious for having issues, Palm OS ones way more then the 700wx.

Either way, if there's anything that should keep you from getting a WM phone compared to a BB it should be battery life above all else. I'm going blind looking at my 8830's screen, when is RIM going to step up and put a real screen on these things?
    Maybe I was doing something wrong, I don't know, but I'm just telling him my experience with Windows Mobile. If I could've gotten it to work correctly(which again, maybe I did something wrong), it would've worked out great! Even when they did work, I think I'm still liking the BB interface better.

As far as battery life you're definitely correct though, I get so much more time out of my BB, its wonderful!
    04-21-08 07:05 PM
    I have the 6900 for Verizon and a Curve and 8700 for ATT. The XV6900 is great, much better than other WINMo devices that I've used. Downside is the speakerphone, battery life, and the input(typing method). The blackberry 8700 and Curve are much easier to type on in my opinion. I am going to keep my Touch, and buy the 8330 for Verizon and switch back and forth every one or 2 months.
    04-21-08 07:55 PM
    Downside is the speakerphone, battery life, and the input(typing method). The blackberry 8700 and Curve are much easier to type on in my opinion.
    Try a product called TouchPal. Here's a link. The new version is supposed to be really good, but the Pro version is one with all the bells and wistles in it. Welcome to CooTek - TouchPal, an innovative soft keyboard
    04-21-08 10:18 PM
    The main purpose for a smartphone is to have what you need, when you need it, where you need it.

Any WinMo device Ive seen or had has always had issues with reliability. The owners of my company have the HTC Touch (sprint version) and one is a complete computer wiz and the other is the complete opposite end of the spectrum. They use them everyday and the reliability is (I must say) much better than other WinMo phones, however they have the common issues, Battery life, reception, and text input.

Ok lets think about this

BATTERYLIFE !!

RECEPTION!!!

TEXT INPUT!!

lol just think being away somwhere needing to respond to an email. You have low reception, two mins to respond to an email, and your bat is less than 25%. LOL WTF?? At this point whats the point of a smartphone if its only smart when its pluged into the comp, with an external antenna and external keyboard? lol

Really if your a computer wiz and want customization ok, and you can deal with the crippling factors of the HTC then do it.

But If you want a phone that does what its supposed to when you want it and where you need it to without having to soft reset twice and cross your fingers. Get a blackberry. Ok the battery is not the best ever but it gets the job done with power to spare.

Im sure MOST of us a crackberry can agree that BlackBerrys are called CrackBerrys for a reason.
    There simple and complex all at once with a bulletproof design both the body and OS.

(just think how much protection a touch screen will need!! I had a voyager for a month before it was I bumped a desk with it. (its ok I hated that phone))

Good luck with your choice.. BB has my vote.
    05-05-08 07:09 PM
    Curve!!!! Heck a BB 7290 is even better than your other alternative
    05-05-08 07:21 PM
    I have had 4 WinBlowz Mobile devices (3 moto Q's which all died software deaths and a Treo700wx) all on VZW. Never again. Battery life was abysmal - literally couldn't get through an entire day. Random resets, complete phone freeze, had to pull batteries probably every 2-3 days on them - you name it, it crapped out on me. Curve? One battery pull in 6 months. One voicemail icon glitch and that was ATT. Half a dozen dropped calls and I don't even have to consider battery life anymore - it'll go a full day and a half with heavy email and voice usage. Other than my cheap *** company not offering BES anymore to folks at my level (peon), BIS gets all my email. Just takes a little longer off the Exchange server and it's not OTA synching (which is the ONLY thing I miss about WinBlowz mobile - when it worked, it did that flawlessly). iPhone? I hate the keyboard (or lack thereof). Maybe I could used to it. When v2.0 on the software comes out with ActiveStink, I'll look at it again. Then again, I'd rather wait for the 3G model to roll and see if they fixed the "phone" part. But, overall, the Curve is just brillant, dependable and flat out works. Period. Probably why RIM dominates the business market huh?
    05-05-08 09:46 PM
    The main purpose for a smartphone is to have what you need, when you need it, where you need it.
    No one here can give you a definite answer; at best, you're getting a lot of varying opinions. I'd suggest you give each a hands-on try then make a decision based on your own usage.

Out the box I had problems with my Touch, but I didnt give up on it completely. I went to sites like PPCGeeks, listened and learned. In the end, as Alex stated, my device has to work when I need it and not whenever it decides it wants too.

I've done so much customizing 'til I'm customized out. All that stuff is nice, but wouldnt be necessary if they functioned as they should. The only thing I want to give a lot of thought to is what I'm wearing the next day to work. I dont want to spend 12+ hours at work and another 4 sitting up at night trying to figure out why my phone wont wake from sleep mode and I have a bunch of missed calls and text. Thats the world, IMHO, of HTC!!
    05-05-08 10:05 PM
    Only plus in my book for Blackberry is BATTERY LIFE.

A big negative in my book for Blackberry is NOT ENOUGH FLIPPING MEMORY.

At least with WM you can use a memory card the way it was intended to be used.... as an extension of the internal memory for both programs and caching. RIM needs to fix this limiting factor on their devices.

And the "stability of BB" discussions are complete BS. People pull the battery on a BB just as much as people hit the Reset button an a WM device. Don't be fooled... for some reason crackheads don't seem to realize it's the same thing... probably because they're crackheads. :lol:

Just get what you like dude.

Oh yeah, and one last thing. There's a big difference between a WM "Smartphone Edition" and WM "Professional Edition" device. The Smartphone ones are POSs... the Professional loaded ones are way better. The next time you compare a Q to XVwhatever, know the difference between them. There is a difference in OS stability and capabilities.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-05-08 at 11:03 PM.
    05-05-08 11:00 PM
    I agree about the memory issue big time. There is now a program (aero something) that claims to allow you to launch apps off your SD Card but I haven't gotten it yet. The other complaints I have about the BB are serious. The "crack" of the crackberry only relates to push email, that's it, along with a nice keyboard. The big shortcomings are:

1) ***** corporate security implemented that is a major hassle, e.g. no deletion of quoted portion of replies

2) Still no decent media player at all (the flip thing sucks and is just eye candy)

3) Many things still not customizable easily, e.g. do you want to snooze an alarm for MORE than 5 bloody minutes?

4) No ability to simply save attachments and view them natively on the device. This is along the lines of #1. It's beyond insane and annoying.

5) Everything is a damn service which costs you quarterly or annually, e.g. docs to go, repligo, etc. It's all along the lines of #1 and the BB being totally server-based. You will be paying up the rear end with a BB more than any other device unfortunately.

6) No decent tasks manager (todo matrix is $60 and looks like it's from 5 years ago.) or any really good, easy to enter/delete applications that are highly productive. Everything takes loads of clicks, etc. This is also along the lines of #1 to some extent, where it's not really "consumer-based" and so apps cost serious bucks.

7) Will RIM finally give the period key it's own hard button without a damned control/shift? typing URLs is maddening.

There are some positives but the above really can make you wonder if you're thinking consumer based usage, even if it's business. And with Verizon disabling the GPS on my units, I'm thinking of ditching Verizon and perhaps not buying any more BB garbage and actually using Windows Media. It's taken them way too long to get it right but at least there are plenty of apps for it, affordable, and the good models are working well. I wonder if the 9000 and the new OS have changed anything but, for right now, it looks like it's nothing but a superficial makeover which is just too bad.
    Last edited by slinky; 05-29-08 at 07:04 AM.
    05-29-08 06:54 AM
    I had the Moto Q Black before i got my blackberry and when i first got it the battery was horrible. Then they did and update and the battery worked great. I didn't have any problems never had to replace it or anything. Honestly i agree with the ones who say its just personal preference
    05-29-08 08:00 AM
    I just came from a touch, an awesome phone it was...yes, but i just needed something more stable...in a nutshell, the touch is a very very capable and sleek device, but lacks a keyboard, and due to windows mobile suffers from occasional freeze ups and glitches..but highly customizable(ppcgeeks.com)...

The sprint BB CURVE has PLENTY of memory...the cdma ones come with more memory and 4.3..its a messaging monster, and well does everything...perfect...

I am selling my touch, after years and years of dealing with windows mobile...i never thought i would leave...

i sacrificed a few things, but i love the curve, and the only thing i miss the touch for is undetectable tethering...everything else the curve does way better...you wont regret it!!!

oh yeah..im with sprint...i guess i should have read first lol!!
    Last edited by Success100; 05-29-08 at 08:57 AM.
    05-29-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD