Quick background. I have had some issues with my Tour. I have been give 5 replacement phones with a 6th one on the way. "Tech" support is unable to help. They generally will begin the converstation assuming I am a tech '****, and end the conversation saying "Well, you've done everything I know how to do and some stuff I didn't know about, I'll just send you a replacement phone."

God am I tired of this. Here is my e-mail converstation with Verizon thus far:

Primary Subject: Feedback
    Secondary Subject: Customer Service Feedback
    Message Body: What do I have to do to get a phone that works? I've been going through this for MONTHS. I'm on my 6th replacement phone, and each one is worse than the last.
    The fifth phone you sent me I had maybe three days, and it just freezes, or reboots itself. I can't even make a phone call.
    I'm sooooooo tired of this. All I want is a phone that works. That's it. This is the second time I'm e-mailing you because I haven't recieved a response from my first e-mail.
    Seriously, I want a phone that works, thats it, I don't think that is too much to ask. Is it?
    The tech support tells me the same thing over and over, they don't know why the phones aren't working, they don't know why the phones are having issues. They can't do anything to help me. Really, your "worry free" guarentee is crap. I've been dealing with this since November! It's now MAY!!

My name is Vanessa, and I can definitely understand your frustration regarding having to replace your device multiple times. If the issue that you have had has been consistent with each phone, you may want to sync your replacement phone using MS Outlook if possible. Below I have included more information:

There is also an option to sync your replacement device with the Blackberry Desktop Manager using Advanced Options, which will let you pick and choose what you are syncing with your phone.

If you are just using the Backup option, you may be syncing the same bug to each device.

If you still have the same issue with the replacement device that was sent out to you yesterday, please reply to this email and we will see what the next step will be.

I hope that the information about syncing is helpful. Thank you for being the best part of the Verizon Wireless family since 2002. Should you have additional questions or feel your concerns have not been resolved, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email.

Sincerely,

Vanessa
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service

Thanks for responding. Here is the thing. I understand how to use the advanced features in the Desktop Manager. I understand how to sync, how to upgrand and downgrade the OS on the BB. I am clear on what constitues user error and software versus hardware issues.

The problems I have been having have varied. Each phone has some similar issues and some different issues. The problems I have are varied. Some are software, some are hardware. Some are OS issues, some are issues due to these replacement phones being used.

While I appriciate your 'help' please look at the case notes and realize that I have explained all of this to the customer service people and tech support people I have talked to.

I have two very simple requests. One is I would like a phone that works as promised, and two I would like a stable OS. While I understand the stable OS is something that will not happen anytime soon, perhaps I can be sent a phone that will not crash/reload ever five minutes. Or a phone that will not drain the memory and give me a low RAM message every two hours, or a phone that has a working browser, or a phone.........I could go on.

I have another phone that I will recieve tomorrow. I can tell you that I do not expect to find this one works any better than the last 5 phones. I do however, look forward to finding what new and frustrating problem this one will have. Should I find my 6th phone to work any better I will be pleasently surprised.

Again, thank you for your response, but I am tired of being given the same pat responses, when they cover what I already know. Then have 'tech' support scramble to figure out some other bit of 'information' they can give me. All I have recieved are platitudes, and canned responses, that are not suited to a tech support department but more to a scripted cold call company whose employees don't really understand the product in which they are selling.

I would love to have someone respond to me who can do something to help, can get me a phone that works, and can really apply your 'worry free' guarentee as it is advertised. As it stands I have been 'worrying' since November of 2009 with no end in sight.

Again, thank you for your response.
    05-20-10 01:32 PM
    Geez, so sorry to hear that!! Sounds like my issue. I am now waiting on phone number 4 to arrive. Seriously?? Hope you are able to get some answers.
    05-20-10 01:44 PM
    You may be best off physically going to a local verizon store to show a rep than trying to deal with them through email....sorry to hear about your problems, that sux.
    05-20-10 01:50 PM
    I agree. I would suggest however if it's software related going to the 643 OS. I haven't had any problems with it.
    05-20-10 02:40 PM
    I have received the most incredible service from VZW by always being respectful (and it seems you have) to VZW CS reps. Also, I have elected to take "the survey" after my call to tech support. With a couple of exceptions, I have given high marks to the tech for trying to resolve the issue. I believe the last question on the survey asks whether you would recommend VZW as a carrier. I said "no" and gave a very calm, factual and logical response for saying no. That survey was followed up with a phone call to me from a higher level rep who was more than accommodating in resolving my issue. My advice is to call CSR, take the survey and express your true feelings tactfully...it worked for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-10 03:01 PM
    I have received the most incredible service from VZW by always being respectful (and it seems you have) to VZW CS reps. Also, I have elected to take "the survey" after my call to tech support. With a couple of exceptions, I have given high marks to the tech for trying to resolve the issue. I believe the last question on the survey asks whether you would recommend VZW as a carrier. I said "no" and gave a very calm, factual and logical response for saying no. That survey was followed up with a phone call to me from a higher level rep who was more than accommodating in resolving my issue. My advice is to call CSR, take the survey and express your true feelings tactfully...it worked for me.

Wow good idea. I'll do that!
    05-20-10 09:07 PM

I've tried the survey and nothing. Up until this point I've loved Verizon and had great service. But at this point. However, I'm at the point now where even though I've been a customer for 8 years now I'm ready to go somewhere else. I'm so frustrated with their lack of care and training.

05-20-10 11:16 PM
    Are they sending you refurbished units or brand new units? I had same issue with my storm but it was because they kept sending me refurbished units. I finally raised cane and was connected to a supervisor of some sort who sent me a brand new device that has worked flawlessly.

05-21-10 12:06 AM
    Are they sending you refurbished units or brand new units? I had same issue with my storm but it was because they kept sending me refurbished units. I finally raised cane and was connected to a supervisor of some sort who sent me a brand new device that has worked flawlessly.

Yup, they're refurbished.

05-21-10 12:17 AM
    I had trackball issues only with the Tour I now have the Curve 8530
    I also didn't like the 5.0 on the Tour and downgraded back to the 4.7 The Curve is much better for me. I couldn't wait around the Bold to be released. I am thrilled with the 8530 I had an upgrade on my internet line and used it but I know had I been a little more firm, probably could had gotten it on my regular line. Being firm would mean I was still polite. Not necessary for anyone to be rude and I know you weren't. I have been a sales rep and there are customers who just think ranting and yelling will get action. It is frustrating when this happens. A lot better to be reasonable and polite
    05-21-10 12:20 AM
    I've tried the survey and nothing. Up until this point I've loved Verizon and had great service. But at this point. However, I'm at the point now where even though I've been a customer for 8 years now I'm ready to go somewhere else. I'm so frustrated with their lack of care and training.

It was the third survey that I responded to that I finally received a call back to resolve the issue. There seems to be some inconsistancy in employee knowledge and their ability to handle issues when you call CS. I'll no longer waste my time in a store except to check out a new device.

On my most recent issue, the CS rep (who got bad marks from me) insisted my phone was working OK even though my signal was 1x instead of the 1XEV I should have been receiving. I asked for her supervisor and the super said she would have my signal monitored and call me back. It is 6 weeks later and I am still waiting for the call back. I did get through to an awesome rep in El Paso who generated a work order and it was then discovered that there was a tower issue. It took a few days but the tower was fixed and I have received several calls to make sure that all is well. I also called the CS manager who gave me his direct number (on another issue) and passed along kudos for the guy in Texas and threw the slackers under the bus.

05-21-10 02:12 PM
    Not sure if any center reps are reading this thread, but I can only imagine that if they are, they would cringe if they read that customers are recommending to each other to give low marks on the Third Survey Question, or the "On a scale of 1-10, how likely is it that you would recommend Verizon Wireless to a friend or family member," question, just in an attempt to get more than they deserve...

Even if you give the rep high marks on the first two survey questions, the question about recommending VZW is just as important to each rep, and individually impacts their stats...

So if you keep calling in, and keep giving low marks on the recommendation question hoping that you'll get a call back with a different option that you like better, you're probably just screwing the reps over...
    05-22-10 03:52 AM
    Not sure if any center reps are reading this thread, but I can only imagine that if they are, they would cringe if they read that customers are recommending to each other to give low marks on the Third Survey Question, or the "On a scale of 1-10, how likely is it that you would recommend Verizon Wireless to a friend or family member," question, just in an attempt to get more than they deserve...

Even if you give the rep high marks on the first two survey questions, the question about recommending VZW is just as important to each rep, and individually impacts their stats...

So if you keep calling in, and keep giving low marks on the recommendation question hoping that you'll get a call back with a different option that you like better, you're probably just screwing the reps over...
    This is not about "an attempt to get more than they deserve." We all deserve reliable devices on a reliable network. That's what we pay VZW for. This isn't about "a different option that you like better." This is about having a legitimate issue resolved.

When VZW pushed a new PRL to my Curve and all of a sudden I had "chirps" during phone calls, this was a legitimate issue. Sincere attempts by CS reps to resolve this failed. This is not my fault, not the reps fault, but VZW's fault. High marks for the rep and bad marks for VZW. If what you say is true...that giving VZW a low mark is "screwing the reps over," then someone at VZW should be ashamed of themselves for such a policy. Holding an employee responsible for the shortcomings of the company is sick.

The bottom line here is that we all deserve reliable devices and service. This is what we pay for. Some of the issues I've had have been OS related. As opposed to the OP, I would much rather get on the land line and call CS. I have found this route to be the best way to get good service. Not every CS rep is equipped to adequately handle issues. This is another problem in itself and reflects badly on VZW.

Furthermore, VZW reps should not assume that everyone is trying to get some "enrtitlement." This type of attitude gets in the way of helping those with legitimate issues. Fortunately, most of the CS reps I have dealt with have been helpful and knowledgable.

I will conclude by restating that it is WRONG for VZW to hold their employees responsible for the shortcomings of the company. For example, a rep cannot fix a faulty OS. Only RIM/VZW can fix it...or can they? The customer should have the right to rate the CS rep for the quality of help they receive and then rate the company for the reliabiliy of their device and service without a negative impact on CS.

05-22-10 06:20 AM
    This is not about "an attempt to get more than they deserve." We all deserve reliable devices on a reliable network. That's what we pay VZW for. This isn't about "a different option that you like better." This is about having a legitimate issue resolved.

When VZW pushed a new PRL to my Curve and all of a sudden I had "chirps" during phone calls, this was a legitimate issue. Sincere attempts by CS reps to resolve this failed. This is not my fault, not the reps fault, but VZW's fault. High marks for the rep and bad marks for VZW. If what you say is true...that giving VZW a low mark is "screwing the reps over," then someone at VZW should be ashamed of themselves for such a policy. Holding an employee responsible for the shortcomings of the company is sick.

The bottom line here is that we all deserve reliable devices and service. This is what we pay for. Some of the issues I've had have been OS related. As opposed to the OP, I would much rather get on the land line and call CS. I have found this route to be the best way to get good service. Not every CS rep is equipped to adequately handle issues. This is another problem in itself and reflects badly on VZW.

Furthermore, VZW reps should not assume that everyone is trying to get some "enrtitlement." This type of attitude gets in the way of helping those with legitimate issues. Fortunately, most of the CS reps I have dealt with have been helpful and knowledgable.

I will conclude by restating that it is WRONG for VZW to hold their employees responsible for the shortcomings of the company. For example, a rep cannot fix a faulty OS. Only RIM/VZW can fix it...or can they? The customer should have the right to rate the CS rep for the quality of help they receive and then rate the company for the reliabiliy of their device and service without a negative impact on CS.

Your specific issues were somewhat more serious (if my memory serves me), seeing that the issue was coverage and service, as opposed to the actual device itself having issues.

My point is, is that there is a procedure for getting a phone replaced, and while some individuals get lucky and come away with a new phone of a different model than their problematic, most are just going to get a Certified Like New Replacement of the same model.

Now Verizon isn't going to cut slack to people who call in over and over hoping for a different outcome, in fact they've tightened up their replacement policies.

So whether or not one thinks its fair to the customer or the employee, calling and giving low NPS scores won't get you very far.
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 05-23-10 at 01:15 AM.
    05-23-10 01:12 AM
    Your specific issues were somewhat more serious (if my memory serves me), seeing that the issue was coverage and service, as opposed to the actual device itself having issues.

My point is, is that there is a procedure for getting a phone replaced, and while some individuals get lucky and come away with a new phone of a different model than their problematic, most are just going to get a Certified Like New Replacement of the same model.

Now Verizon isn't going to cut slack to people who call in over and over hoping for a different outcome, in fact they've tightened up their replacement policies.

So whether or not one thinks its fair to the customer or the employee, calling and giving low NPS scores won't get you very far.
    You bring up some good points and I see the need for having procedures to have a device replaced. Personally, I don't care if the device is "new" or "CLN." The important thing is to have a device that works. As for multiple replacements, it seems there needs to be a more specialized process to deal with this as it seems to be an issue in itself, if you catch my drift.

As for the door you opened about grading the techs and VZW and how this affects the reps performance in the eyes of the company: I take exception to, and would not be a happy VZW employee if the company I worked for held me accountable for VZW's inadeqate abilities to provide the customer with satisfactory service and/or device. For example, it is not the tech's fault if a faulty OS results in service calls that cannot be effectively dealt with.

As for replacing a device, isn't doing the same thing over and over again the same way but expecting a different result a definition of insanity? Find a different way to deal with multiple replacements and more problems will be solved.

My intention for suggesting a praise for the tech but throwing the company under the bus is to point out that an issue exists that standard procedures and work arounds will not fix. This is VZW's fault and not the tech's.

Given the fact I received a call from a CS manager who had reviewed my history and offered a generous and satisfactory solution to a problem, I felt that VZW truly cared about their customer satisfaction. Knowing that my method for getting the call negatively impacted the tech's score causes my opinion of VZW to drop.

05-23-10 05:19 PM
    I am new to the forum and this is my first post because I would just like to relay the experience I had with verizon which begun at wanting to strangle a verizon employee just to see them suffer to getting exactly what I wanted.

The ordeal actually started with a palm pre plus that I bought my wife at the launch. She went a couple months with a keyboard and power cycling issue that just became unreasonable for a phone that cost this much. I took the phone to the in store tech and they said, ya thats just how they are, mine does that too. All i could think was what the &$*# then why did you sell it to me. But they offered to replace it free of charge and without messing with insurance so I said ok. The next day I got a refurbished unit in the mail turned it on and it had the exact same problem. I just about had it I went to the store where the rudest manager I have ever met told me that unless I wanted another palm pre plus that was refurbished I (and these are his exact words) "might as well deal with it, nothing in this world is perfect" needless to say this is the guy I wanted to strangle.

I left and called customer service and after talking to three different supervisors and several reps I finally got one who seemed really interested in handling my situation. I was never rude and I never raised my voice but I was persistent and it was easier that I obviously knew way more about the phones than they did. One tried convincing me the palm pixi and centro were more expensive and more featurefull than the pre. Another said the same thing the manager said and that a software release coming before 2012 would fix it lol. Finally I assume they got fed up and said ok we will reset your upgrade date and you can BUY a new phone from us. Yah fat chance, I told them to go ahead with that plan but that I would have to wait for my check before I could buy. I hung up and went to bestbuy where the curve 2 is free on upgrade. This is the phone id been arguing for as I love my tour and have never had such a reliable phone. So now my wife has a pre plus and a curve 2.

Moral I think is just to be persistent, they want your service and they will make much larger profit off of keeping you as a customer. But do not be rude, they will raise a defense and maybe hang up on you, they hung up on my wife lol she isnt patient. I dont blame them if someone was yelling and being unreasonable with me I would hang up too.

Just my little experience
    05-23-10 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD