06-11-10 07:38 PM
47 12
tools
    Yes, i thought about doing that. But i'm thrifty so i just added for the 2 days. i'll turn my bb off while at sea. ewww
    I wouldnt be able to do that, lol. The International Data Plan is an extra $30 a month so its only $1 a day(in addition to your normal BIS data plan). I cant imagine you would be cruising for an entire month, most popular cruises are 3-7 days, most Alaskan Cruises can last 2 weeks. Even if it were two weeks thats only an extra $14, thats not much extra for peace of mind.
    07-24-09 09:40 AM
    I wouldnt be able to do that, lol. The International Data Plan is an extra $30 a month so its only $1 a day(in addition to your normal BIS data plan). I cant imagine you would be cruising for an entire month, most popular cruises are 3-7 days, most Alaskan Cruises can last 2 weeks. Even if it were two weeks thats only an extra $14, thats not much extra for peace of mind.
    Are you a VZW sales rep!?
    07-24-09 09:41 AM
    Are you a VZW sales rep!?
    Lol, no ma'am. My wife is in the Coast Guard and she is often in Canada on training missions. Everytime she heads up there we get the data plan for her. I also used to attend school in B.C. and I have quite a bit of experience with the International Data Plan thing.
    07-24-09 09:44 AM
    Ah, ok. Cool! Well, i may call back and add it for the entire trip!
    07-24-09 09:49 AM
    i just got back from a carnival cruise i didnt not personally use my blackberry on the ship but i noticed a gentlemen once night with a verizon BB 8330 using BBM while at sea..so i think its possible as i saw a lot of ppl walking around with blackberrys...
    07-24-09 10:36 AM
    Keep in mind while on the ship you can turn data off.

Options> mobile network> data services>off, This way you can keep your phone on while on the ship. Any calls though are 2.49 per min
    07-24-09 10:57 AM
    And you can still play brickbreaker...
    07-24-09 11:45 AM
    Chrisy, can I come along to carry your luggage? have a great time. We just book a cruise that goes to Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Mexico
    07-24-09 11:51 AM
    I was on a Cruise out of Miami, December, 2008. Data (email) did not work. Voice and Text Messaging worked fine. The bill was in line with what is shown above, $2.49/min voice, and $.50 text. I did not have an international plan.
    07-26-09 09:35 PM
    Got 1x while out at sea with VZW and Carnival. Could make phone calls. Didn't though! Could send and receive SMS but passed on that also!

Have EDGE service in Grand Cayman with Digicel-Vodafone NL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 07:48 AM
    Got 1x while out at sea with VZW and Carnival. Could make phone calls. Didn't though! Could send and receive SMS but passed on that also!

Have EDGE service in Grand Cayman with Digicel-Vodafone NL

1x or 1X? this is the question
    07-29-09 04:47 PM
    i think was 1x. And i tried to send a text and couldn't.

i wonder what cruise lines have data roaming agreements with VZW.

08-01-09 09:31 AM
    i think was 1x. And i tried to send a text and couldn't.

i wonder what cruise lines have data roaming agreements with VZW.

None that I know of
    08-01-09 10:47 AM
    I love Verizon and will likely never leave them, but any time Verizon can make a dollar, they are going to err on the side of self.
    01-21-10 07:42 PM
    That's capitalism for ya.

i was pleased with the VZW Global Data plan!
    01-21-10 07:44 PM
    You must also remember that the cruise ships have a charge along with vzw, att ect
    01-22-10 07:47 AM
    Contained via this link is infomration about cruise ship rates and which ships you can use data on. You will need to scroll down the page an half way though. Hope this helps

VZW Cruise Ship Info
    01-22-10 07:58 AM
    Just an FYI..

I just got back from my cruise on Saturday and talked to Verizon today. I was on a Princess Cruise (Sapphire Princess) and was able to use the data on the ship eventhough their website said that I shouldn't be able to. I figured it out later in the week, but if you have a Global phone, flip your phone to GSM/GPRS coverage only.

You should be able to get a data connection (mine was 'MCP maritime Comm') and get data to your phone. The reason Verizon says data isnt supported is because the 1X/EV-DO signal does not support data. When I talked to Verizon today, they said that all of my data (even GPRS data) was covered under my 64.99/mo international data plan.

Hope this helps or makes sense.

On this same note. Make sure that you activate your SIM card with Verizon and *228 before you leave.
    01-25-10 02:47 PM
    Keep in mind while on the ship you can turn data off.

Options> mobile network> data services>off, This way you can keep your phone on while on the ship. Any calls though are 2.49 per min
    Just a note from above, correct me if I am wrong. If you do this you will not be able to send/recieve SMS texts eventhough the network supports this. I had this issue when I went to Mexico in June. I guess Blackberries see SMS as data and will never send/receive texts if data services are shut off.

I dont know if this would work, but I figure if you go into Options > Advanced Options > Browser Push and turn off everything that says "enable" on it, you would shut off everything that is pushed to your BlackBerry (emails, etc.).

This is completely speculation, I have not verified. I fixed the issue by getting a data plan for my last trip.
    01-25-10 02:57 PM
    Does not make sence, as SMS is done on the voice network, not data
    01-25-10 03:34 PM
    Does setting "Data Services" to off stop absolutely all data to and from the phone? It may be a dumb question but I'm about to go on a cruise as well and I want to be sure my phone doesn't send or receive a single kilobyte. I'd hate to disable data services and then find out it only stops TCP data but BIS traffic still comes through or vice versa.
    06-11-10 07:28 PM
    It stops all data.

06-11-10 07:38 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD