I looked around & noticed both of my friend Robert's posts were locked, so I couldn't post in those. I wanted to, as there still seems to be an attitude that people can do what they want whenever and wherever they want with their "unlimited data" access.

Its like they see Unlimited Data and feel if they don't read further, they won't have to follow any additional terms.

Note to VZW: Do not place the ice cream in front of the green beans - the kids will never get to the vegetables.

I hear how evil VZW is, that they screw you at every turn and maybe all the VZW drones should switch to AT&T. Supposedly AT&T doesn't do this to their valued customers. Then again, over on the AT&T forums, we might find people telling how demonic AT&T is. They're used to it, as that is how many tried to paint AT&T in the 80s & 90s.

You need to see these links:

If You Read Your Contract You Wouldn't Have A $5,000 3G Bill - AT&T sued for huge Acer netbook data bill... - dslreports.com

Woman Sues AT&T Over $5,000 Data Bill on 3G Netbook

Suit over $5K netbook 3G data bill; AT&T says "read the TOS" - Ars Technica

Same story, three perspectives.

The minute I hear someone say "Verizon charges more" or "Verizon screws customers" I know it is someone not to take seriously, because neither are even slightly believable lies.

Newsflash to the uninitiated and the conspiracy theorists - the contracts are written to favor the carrier/company/telco/CATV provider - you signed it, and now you get to live up to it. Even though it has been reported elsewhere that the VZW CTO thinks prices should be reduced (as do I), you must remember that in a healthy business environment where success is rewarded and failure relegated to the annals of history, companies will charge whatever the market will bear. Of course, if the market would bear $100 per minute, they would, and you can rest assured that there are those trying to figure out how to do just that.

You get what you pay for and knowing that, VZW is no more expensive than the competition - VZW along with the competition is happy to nail you for things they didn't agree to provide you. The above links are some of many that prove just that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 02:18 PM
    Here Here... Twins i hope that you plan to stay here, i have been reading for this forum for information from you and a select few others and would hate to have you leave due to the ignorance of others.
    05-08-09 02:43 PM
    I think that the point that people tend to forget and overlook is that these telecom companies are in it to make money. They are businesses with shareholders to answer to, and nothing in this world is free. And Twins is right, we live in a capitalistic society and they do charge as much as the market will bear.

People need to get a grip and remember that they have a choice in nearly everything we consume and/or use. If you dont like the high costs of having a cell phone, go to a different provider. If that doesnt work, use prepaid. If its still an issue, get rid of the mobile and get a landline. Either way, quit complaining on these forums, we all hate paying for anything, would rather have everything for free but thats just not how it works.
    05-08-09 02:57 PM
    Twins I am loving your posts. You tell it how it is even though it may get peoples panties in a bunch. I love it. Keep it up. You are just telling people to know what they are getting into.

05-08-09 10:28 PM
    Twins I am loving your posts. You tell it how it is even though it may get peoples panties in a bunch. I love it. Keep it up. You are just telling people to know what they are getting into.
    Thanks, Mark - trouble is, some people don't like being told things they don't like to hear & they try to go off on me.

05-08-09 10:53 PM
    Thanks, Mark - trouble is, some people don't like being told things they don't like to hear & they try to go off on me.

You know what they say about arguing on the internet right...

Good stuff either way.
    05-08-09 10:58 PM
    IMHO, there should be a warning that you are about to exceed your monthly allowance, that you then have to accept the prompt.
    05-10-09 07:41 PM
    IMHO, there should be a warning that you are about to exceed your monthly allowance, that you then have to accept the prompt.
    How abut taking some responsibility and using tool provided like your online account, VZAM software, and #data from any phone. All this will let monitor your data usage. I think people should stop depending on the government and companies for their unwillingness to take control of themselves
    05-10-09 07:51 PM
    In an ideal world, that might work - then again, I believe VZW offers these kinds of monitors as an option. Check their site for more details.

Taking it a step further, does your long distance company call you before you cross say, $200? Does your electric company call you to let you know you've been running your A/C too much? Do cars have a warning system to tell you that, at your current rate of travel per month, you will hit your 36,000 miles long before the three years is up?

Give me the emergency response warning system. For the rest of it, I don't need, nor want, nannies & monitoring systems. I am a big boy now & don't want any big-brother style warnings.

05-10-09 07:53 PM
    How abut taking some responsibility and using tool provided like your online account, VZAM software, and #data from any phone. All this will let monitor your data usage. I think people should stop depending on the government and companies for their unwillingness to take control of themselves
    I love you, man!
    05-10-09 07:54 PM
    does your long distance company call you before you cross say, $200?
    Do peeople still pay for long distance?

Sorry, okay back to topic.
    05-10-09 08:33 PM
    Yes, there are some customers on very old plans. they cheap or some other benefit they use a lot. I had a call today that had two lines on local only plans for 39.99 per month and they 10 cents per minute for long distance
    05-10-09 08:47 PM
    Yes, there are some customers on very old plans. they cheap or some other benefit they use a lot. I had a call today that had two lines on local only plans for 39.99 per month and they 10 cents per minute for long distance
    Yep, still have a moldie oldie plan myself on the FL phone, was Bellsouth but under AT&T for awhile now. Monthly basic charge plus tax is $20.50 with Sprint LD (also old plan) first 50min free and add'l LD is .07 minute.

It's about $8-12 more for the OH bill, same Sprint LD deal but Verizon is the carrier. Used to be GTE, and not only was it cheaper (almost half), but coverage area was much larger. I could have kept part of the areas, for more than double what we were paying ($16mo, they wanted add'l $20 to give back 1/2 what they took away). I said "no thanks" and kept just basic service... except paid .75mo for manual "call forwarding" (not the $6mo for call "forward on busy" ) and used voicemail and caller ID which was/is free on Sprint cellphones.
    05-11-09 01:50 AM
    LOL didnt you hear? There is! For the humble sum of 4.99 per line you can get USAGE controls.. ( geared tward all those crazy 'rents who give their 9yr old a phone... *shoosh, my 8yr old has one.. Im one of the crazy ones*)
    The usage controls will prompt when you're getting close to a limit.. say for txt and voice.
    totally nice feature and I have it... yet they charge for it... but hey... AT&T does too.
    Then as stated above there IS always the responsible road and taking it upon ones self to use the features VZW and other carriers provide you to check your min. Free text msg for your usage.. Minutes, text or otherwise. I find myself logging into myverizon at LEAST every other day. Which saved me from having uber text overages bc I noticed I was over and my ccare rep backdated next plan up for me so I didnt see the overages. YAY

okay, sorry... way off subject...

Its all about responsablity ( totally butchered that word )
    We're all adults.. read your contract... check your minutes!
    Last edited by heather.law; 05-11-09 at 06:30 AM.
    05-11-09 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD