I have the Nationwide plus Mexico plan which covers my calls but not data. I went to Mexico a few weeks back. Before I left, my data was set to on except for when roaming. The data has to be on or else wifi will not work. I also set my firewall to block txt messages.

I received my bill and I had a $17.73 charge for data roaming and a $.05 charge for one incoming txt message. I called Verizon and explained to them that I should not be charged for the data because I had my BB set to data on except while roaming. I used the hotel wifi a lot but that is free. I also told them that I should not be charged for the txt message because the txt message from the Mexico carrier said that the txt message was free. Not sure how I received it anyways since I had txt's blocked through the firewall.

The Verizon rep is crediting my account for the $17.73 plus the $.05 for the txt. Thank you Verizon for making sure your customer's are satisfied.

My questions are:

I am going to Mexico again here soon and is their anything I can or need to do different so I don't get those charges again and have to go through explaining myself again?

If data is ON except while roaming, it should only use the wifi when available. Is this statement correct?

BTW - I did not receive any data at any time during the days but as soon as I returned to the hotel and the wifi connected, data started coming in.

Thanx!
    10-05-10 01:41 PM
    To be on the safe side next time I would turn data completely off and just use WiFi.
    10-05-10 02:05 PM
    If I set data to off, then wifi does not work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 02:31 PM
    UPDATE

Going to Mexico on Monday. Just spoke to vzw tech Support. They assured me that if I have data on except for roaming, that I should not be charged. This is noted on my account and will be easier to get the charges reversed if I get charged again.

They said I could get the Global data for $16 for the week but I do not need data all the time. Just want it when I am in the hotel so wifi will do.
    10-08-10 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD