I have a question on data usage. I have the Unlimited BlackBerry Data plan on my phone. When I just checked the Verizon website, it shows my data usage in yellow. And says I could be charged some astronomical rate if I don't have a data plan. I checked the data usage on the website, and next to all the usage it is listed "BlackBerry Unlimited". I just got worried and figured I would ask here before calling Verizon to see what is going on.

Thanks for any help, it is appriciated.
    03-28-09 03:16 PM
    That indicator doesn't change based on your plan. It assumes no data plan all the time.

Mine is always yellow or red.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 03:18 PM
    Thanks for the quick response, my heart was racing there for a bit. My grandchildren might have been in debt to Verizon.

Its all legitamite use on the BB. No tethering or hack tethering.

As always you are helpful and informative TwinsX2Dad.
    03-28-09 03:21 PM
    But just to make sure I understand correctly: if I check all the data usage, and its all classified as "BlackBerry Unlimited" I should be fine?
    03-28-09 03:22 PM
    You are, as long as its all BlackBerry usage. Make sure you're not using Tetherberry/PDANet and you're not sending/receiving too many huge files, like 12MB MP3s.

If you're not tethering, they will only look at you if you suddenly have a spike or if you're constantly out in the red zone.

I checked my mom's phone - no BlackBerry, just a Chocolate3 with vCast and hers is yellow.

03-28-09 04:17 PM
    I do not use either Tetherberry or PDANet. I think what got me was I was trying PodTrapper. And it automatically downloaded all the CrackBerry and Engadget Mobile podcasts.

I was also trying Epocrates. But I slowed my phone too much. But it seemed like everytime I opened it, it was updating.
    Last edited by RyanCF; 03-28-09 at 04:32 PM.
    03-28-09 04:28 PM
    I do not use either Tetherberry or PDANet. I think what got me was I was trying PodTrapper. And it automatically downloaded all the CrackBerry and Engadget Mobile podcasts.

I was also trying Epocrates. But I slowed my phone too much. But it seemed like everytime I opened it, it was updating.
    Just out of curiosity how much did you use so far? I've used 150MB and my billing cycle is on the 10th of the month.
    03-28-09 05:02 PM

Sorry about the redundancy on Tetherberry, etc. I didn't see BOTH your posts in response to my first reply.

The podcast downloads are big. I am a fan of them and download a lot of them - but I am selective & get only what I want to hear. Some of those apps, if you don't have them setup properly, will download until your card is full. So I tend to do it the manual way and grab individual stuff.

Still, if the majority of your use is regular BlackBerry stuff & podcasts, that is less than what I do. On mine, I hit anywhere from 4-12GB per month and VZW hasn't said a thing to me yet. It could be that if I dropped to a "normal" level, they might send flowers, thinking I died.

03-28-09 05:05 PM
    12GB that's a bit higher than mine. Its around 10 right now. I never checked the usage page before and it just rattled me. This storm is my first bb. Before I had a 700wx. So I did some browsing. But mainly email.

Yeah I just wanted to make sure you knew I don't use it to tether. I have a separate days card for that. I knows there is another thread going for a kid that got busted using his data improperly.

Last edited by RyanCF; 03-28-09 at 05:23 PM.
    03-28-09 05:18 PM
    Mine is because of heavy file transfer mainly - images, pdf, Office files. Then there are the podcasts.

I know a lot of folks get the podcasts on their computer. I do this too, but there are too many times I am jumping in the truck, think of something I want to download, then by the time I get where I am going, I have it.

And I do tether - and I pay for the tethering feature.

The system can tell the difference between BB use & tethering. The scary thing here is I actually use more BlackBerry data than tethering data.
    03-28-09 05:42 PM
    I know I said it before but just wanted to say thanks again. You are very knowledgeable and helpful. Like I said I had not checked that page before and it scared me a bit. That's more money than I could make in 3 years.

03-28-09 05:47 PM
    Definitely - extra charges on a mobile account - any carrier - are tough to swallow.

Glad to have been a help.

03-28-09 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD