09-15-11 12:03 PM
55 123
tools
    I don't know, my ISP doesn't cap or throttle or have tiered plans. Cable and fiber providers have a lot more bandwidth at their disposal than wireless carriers, so one can't really compare them.
    ISPs have been nabbed for secretly throttling certain types of usage without saying anything in the past *cough* Comcast *cough*...
    05-09-11 06:38 PM
    ISPs have been nabbed for secretly throttling certain types of usage without saying anything in the past *cough* Comcast *cough*...
    And the Supreme Court found in Comcast's favor.
    05-09-11 07:47 PM
    Network Optimization

I've seen a lot of talk about how this won't really effect BB users but will iPhone and Android users because this devices use more data. I wonder if now that the Playbook is out there and has the Bridge capacity it use the data from the users phone if now that makes a difference.

I also like how the twist the definition of throttling. They say it isn't throttling because their term for throttling is after you reach a certain point you will be slowed down for the rest of the billing cycle, where this is just during heavy usage by all VZW customers. I thought, really? this is still throttling, just different. To me if you slow down the speed someone can receive data than you are throttling.
    cbreze likes this.
    09-15-11 11:10 AM
    Network Optimization

I've seen a lot of talk about how this won't really effect BB users but will iPhone and Android users because this devices use more data. I wonder if now that the Playbook is out there and has the Bridge capacity it use the data from the users phone if now that makes a difference.

I also like how the twist the definition of throttling. They say it isn't throttling because their term for throttling is after you reach a certain point you will be slowed down for the rest of the billing cycle, where this is just during heavy usage by all VZW customers. I thought, really? this is still throttling, just different. To me if you slow down the speed someone can receive data than you are throttling.
    Yup, The new Verizon semantics. Data throttling = network optimization. Like Janet Jacksons boob slippage = wardrobe malfunction.
    middbrew likes this.
    09-15-11 11:52 AM
    Network Optimization

That will be interesting to see what happens with bridge users. Since I've moved to a different non BB device I find myself using lots more data doing the same things really. So I tend to agree BB users will probably not feel a thing for the most part.
    Android folks are going to be the most affected I think.

EDIT: I got throttled yesterday for the first time. My unlimited data plan was at 2.5gb for the billing cycle with 8 days to go. So it's the real deal in the 'hood" where I live. BTW, the speeds were craptastically slow. Seems to be around 4pm which must be a congested time.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-16-11 at 05:38 PM.
    09-15-11 12:03 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD