09-15-11 01:03 PM
55 123
tools
    What??!! Someone DESERVES to be throttled if they are in the top 5%?? Don't they pay for it like everyone else? Maybe the right answer would be to charge more for power users over 5gb, but to be restricted for up to two billing cycles for taking advantage of unlimited data plans and data rich apps on phones they advertise as a multimedia superstars running on a network they brag can handle it..... is disgusting to me. If I wanted a phone to only make phone calls I would have bought a dumb phone...and so would have you. If I wanted to worry about data overages I would go with ATT...VZW already falsely advertises unlimited data (5gb limit) and now I have to worry if I may fall in the 5%...and what is that? I would rather pay more than have data performance scaled back whenever they decide I'm using to much. Kinda thought that was the reason I chose VZW in the first place. What people deserve??? What a stupid thing to say.....I deserve what I pay for and the terms I agreed to, same as everyone else....except I guess you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Whoa! Hold up there girlfriend! The option to throttle data has always been there, they just never enforced it:

from the T&C's-

Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.
    So before you have yourself a baby calf, read what you sign, it was there all along.
    02-06-11 12:52 PM
    Whoa! Hold up there girlfriend! The option to throttle data has always been there, they just never enforced it:

from the T&C's-

So before you have yourself a baby calf, read what you sign, it was there all along.

Actually Mr Mario I had not only read the fine print of the contract I signed, but also had several conversations with CSRs concerning data usage in my contract. You sir have your facts wrong. The unlimited plan I have been paying for has had a soft limit of 5gb....I say soft because breaking the 5 gb barrier prompts a call from VZW to investigate and warn about usage. VZW has the right to not extend contract past exp. Or in extreme cases deny usage.....nowhere is it written that they WILL degrade data speeds for 2 billing cycles. Nowhere was it documented what the average data use is for the top 5%, making your argument about their usage opinion, and not fact. I often receive notice of exceptional data use, and apparently VZW didn't think I deserved to be punished, cause I never had the option of paying more and I have never been shut off and I had been a customer for nearly 8 years. The highest data Usage I have had was a little of 9gb (almost all music and movies and some nav) when I was in the field....no tethering. Where do you get off calling me girlfriend? Why did you feel it necessary to insult me, do you think it makes you more right? Should I scan my contracts fine print to show that your post doesn't apply to everyone, that my contract does not state a reduction in network performance by any name....the post is in response to NEW VZW policies, that is what my first comment was about....a new policy. I will be reporting your post as I feel it was overtly rude and added nothing to the topic as it was not factual for a response to my post.

02-07-11 05:03 AM
    yes if you are in the top 5% you deserve to be throttled probably. You are not using the data just on the smartphone. You would have to be tethering or downloading stuff (torrent etc) to even come close to the numbers they are talking about. These would be the people in that 5%, there is no way you are doing 10 GBs or whatever just using a smartphone the way it was intending IMO
    I am currious what you believe a smart phone was intented to do?? I guess what really is important is what VZW thinks its intended to do.....let's see, they preload lots and lots and lots of fun data thirsty apps and sell you a ahem....unlimited data plan. It wasn't preloaded with tons of work apps Matt....not from VZW, only fun and play apps.....so what does VZW intend for you to do with the phone??? Not everyone hides those pesky icons. It is certainly easy to use 8gb without tethering, at least for me....and most of my guys who use extensive data cause there isn't anything else avail. For entertainment.

02-07-11 05:21 AM
    I am fairly certain Verizon has reserved the right to amend their T&C and all have online copies as well as paper copies that say that.

02-07-11 07:55 AM
    I am fairly certain Verizon has reserved the right to amend their T&C and all have online copies as well as paper copies that say that.

Exactly my point....its these changes that have me Angry, just cause you can, doesn't mean you should....

02-07-11 03:14 PM
    Try downloading a terabyte or two of Linux ISOs and see if your home ISP doesn't throttle you.

I know AT&T's ToS outlines excessive usage, and Verizon's ToS is no doubt the same, since they're both written in basic English. The top 5% of data users tend to be the bottom 1% of customers, in terms of cost versus revenue. You know, the ones who use everything like it's going out of style, refuse to change their services and features to accommodate the high usage, then demand credit on their bills after they had been duly warned?

AT&T made data features for smartphones compulsory because of the millions of dollars in credits being given to people who had valid usage charges, but refused to pay to use multiple gigabytes of data each month. I hope every carrier starts speed throttling. I wonder what limitation Sprint or T-Mobile will come up with that can spread to other carriers? Things like tiered data and throttling tend to arrive in waves.
    02-07-11 04:13 PM
    Try downloading a terabyte or two of Linux ISOs and see if your home ISP doesn't throttle you.

I know AT&T's ToS outlines excessive usage, and Verizon's ToS is no doubt the same, since they're both written in basic English. The top 5% of data users tend to be the bottom 1% of customers, in terms of cost versus revenue. You know, the ones who use everything like it's going out of style, refuse to change their services and features to accommodate the high usage, then demand credit on their bills after they had been duly warned?

AT&T made data features for smart phones compulsory because of the millions of dollars in credits being given to people who had valid usage charges, but refused to pay to use multiple gigabytes of data each month. I hope every carrier starts speed throttling. I wonder what limitation Sprint or T-Mobile will come up with that can spread to other carriers? Things like tiered data and throttling tend to arrive in waves.
    hmm...I fail to see what my home ISP provider has anything to do with data throttling on my phone. I'm sure that there are provisions written on data usage with my cable provider, but admittedly never ran into an issue. Curious to me that you seem to have a problem with AT&Ts data policy because it appears to me to be more fair. As I read it you receive data in 2gb chunks....paying for each tier you enter into.....before VZWs change in policy I would never had changed from my "unlimited" VZW account because of the soft limit of 5gb. As I already said, VZW doesn't offer additional tiers after unlimited, they just will throttle you for two billing cycles....the problem is twofold, first no indication is presented on the average data use of the top 5%. Had a lot of guesses posted here from 5gb all the way to presumably your 1TB (of course impossible on a phone) nobody knows......the new iphone has wireless hot spot capability for 4 devices even with the additional charge do you think that average data use will remain at what you consider acceptable? Do you second guess using a feature or app on your phone because someone, somewhere might experience a lag on Americas fastest, most reliable network? I don't mind paying more if I could, I said this now three times. People should pay for what they use....but don't call it unlimited if it isn't. I have to believe your thoughts on the top 5% is also the least profitable is also flawed. Last year I paid nearly 3000.00 on new devices for my lines....do almost every year, my monthly bill is just over 300.00. I have never owned a phone longer than 5 months cause I love em so much I have paid full retail on the last 6 phones i bought for my account. VZW is always sending me free accessories or offers, making me think that in fact they like my business very much. I wouldn't imagine the top 5% of data users are sporting crap old phones and no perk addons sucking data next to their crack pipes in a dark corner somewhere giving VZW the finger.......come on now. Point is only this, let me pay for what I use....do not throttle the data speed making my device almost worthless for 2 billing cycles. Maybe time to give AT&T a spin....

02-08-11 12:01 AM
    Maybe you should see if it even affects you before you go off the deep end
    02-08-11 12:30 AM
    As over-the-top as OIF III Vet is, I have to agree with him. I like to use the crap out of my phone and data, because I feel like I give Verizon a lot of money each month, and have done so for years. Weather we are effected by this is another matter, but it is frustrating to think that we may be, basically penalized for using a service that we are paying quite a bit of money for. I'd also be interested in seeing what the threshold into that top 5% is...
    02-09-11 04:01 AM
    What??!! Someone DESERVES to be throttled if they are in the top 5%??....What a stupid thing to say.....I deserve what I pay for and the terms I agreed to, same as everyone else....except I guess you.

If you're in the top 5% you're not using your phone for voice probably at all so yes you deserve to get throttled. You deserve what you pay for?..lol It's called the real world...welcome to it.
    02-09-11 02:34 PM
    If you're in the top 5% you're not using your phone for voice probably at all so yes you deserve to get throttled. You deserve what you pay for?..lol It's called the real world...welcome to it.
    Well why didn't you say you were a data usage expert....and a life coach. The word probably is code for "I'm guessing" and thus your opinion is null. Checking over you past posts I can only figure your trying to compensate for something missing in your life. The real world? That is stupid on so many levels. Who are you to say what I deserve? What interest do you have in this discussion, you haven't made any case other than somehow it offends you what data I use...

02-09-11 10:31 PM
    It probably has to due with the tone of your posts. It sounds like you're mad at us because we aren't up in arms along with you. We didn't set the policy. Whether we agree with it or not won't change it. You could probably JUST call and find out if this is going to affect you or not. Instead, you're performing the internet equivalent of getting your hose and chasing these kids off your lawn...
    02-09-11 10:55 PM
    02-10-11 02:43 AM
    That's an okay article, but I think it leaves out, or omits other factors, like back-haul, the initial cost of spectrum (VZW paid billions for C-Block, $9-10B I think, before a single antenna was lit up), and the fact that VZW and AT&T both have very large traditional telephone companies associated with them that aided greatly in sustaining their growth. Those telcos cost a lot of money.

I actually believe we won't see a whole lot of data throttling. Those that we do see will be on those that are intent on making their wireless device (via hotspot or dedicated MiFI or USB modem) their sole internet connection for home/business/mobile/wherever use.
    02-10-11 08:43 AM

AT&T made data features for smartphones compulsory because of the millions of dollars in credits being given to people who had valid usage charges, but refused to pay to use multiple gigabytes of data each month. I hope every carrier starts speed throttling. I wonder what limitation Sprint or T-Mobile will come up with that can spread to other carriers? Things like tiered data and throttling tend to arrive in waves.
    I don't know, my ISP doesn't cap or throttle or have tiered plans. Cable and fiber providers have a lot more bandwidth at their disposal than wireless carriers, so one can't really compare them.
    02-10-11 09:51 AM
    I don't mind paying more if I could, I said this now three times. People should pay for what they use....but don't call it unlimited if it isn't. ...Point is only this, let me pay for what I use....do not throttle the data speed making my device almost worthless for 2 billing cycles.
    He is true on this account. Verizon advertises "unlimited data" as a fact, not as Coca-Cola advertises its beverage as "refreshing."

His tone sounds stern because people who have understand truth and ethics can only tolerate so much crap.

Just because one doesn't care about whale harvesting doesn't mean it doesn't matter, and likewise, just because a secret surprise data throttle on an oppositely advertised service won't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

I don't have any sort of phone that could DL more than a gig a month; what I'm saying is based on truth, not opinion about what I feel someone deserves, as in "deserves to be throttled."
    02-16-11 01:24 AM
    I would rather them throttle data speeds for the top 5 percent than to have constant dropped calls and connection problems due to network overloads.

02-16-11 02:23 AM
    I would rather them throttle data speeds for the top 5 percent than to have constant dropped calls and connection problems due to network overloads.
    I can understand what you are saying. Everyone gets a "little" piece of something. No one is left with nothing. Fundamentally that is a communal sentiment

On the other side is OIF III Vet, who is willing to pay for what he wants, maybe regardless of how that could affect other users.

Geez, the political connotations in this thread are astounding.

The arguments here really are problematic because they are approaching the topic of throttling incorrectly.

Vet's problem, I assume, must by really tied to the secret obscurity at which Verizon is claiming it will regulate.

Everyone should agree there is a technical reason for this whole fiasco.
    Everyone is paying for a service to connect, whether that be voice or data. It is a fair monetary exchange only if a person can connect when he wishes to, meaning it is then the obligation of Verizon to regulate bandwidth on the multitude of devices in an area where a device may have issues because of congestion.

Now the debatable section may be, if there are 100 devices streaming Arrested Development on Netflix in a hospital, which devices do Verizon deem should be throttled? Since a device cannot transfer more data than it is capable of, means 100 iPhones will all stream data at the same 3G limit or the same max limit. What this means is no one person is actually capable of using MORE bandwidth than the person next to him, assuming the same device.

Throttling those devices with a history of using the max bandwidth all the time is simply the easiest way to regulate bandwidth in a particular area where new devices enter into at any given time with the need to connect.

Am I missing anything?

My previous post addressed my issue with the advertising used by Verizon without clear disclaimers, which I personally believe is unethical practice, regardless of obviousness.
    02-16-11 09:50 AM
    I'm sure it is for the people that use their phone as their one and only internet source for the phone plus at home for their pc.

But if they are going to put limits on unlimited data................quit pushing your data hog apps on people and telling them to use them all they want. Here............. here is more data hog apps for you to use so we can throttle you for using the things we give you to use. Yeah...........right.
    02-16-11 12:56 PM
    I've posted this elsewhere but it's appropriate here.

I have a Bold 9650, and my data has gone from about 50MB/month to 100MB in recent months.

My wife previously had a Storm 9530, and used between 25MB and 30MB per month.

Now she has a DROID Incredible, and last month used 588MB of data.

So for those in the BlackBerry community concerned about throttling, don't fret. We're not the heavy users.
    02-16-11 03:21 PM
    the only way a BB would come close to this 5% is via tethering. You just cant do enough with a BB to use that much data. Some of the other smartphones you can rack up a couple gigs of data without tethering though because they do so much more
    02-16-11 04:35 PM
    Sure you can you just have to work harder because the data is compressed.

02-16-11 05:13 PM
    If you go on verizonwireless website and use data calculatorand set it to just 1 hour per day of streaming video, and nothing else, you'll use 10.43 GB/month of data. I have used way, way huge more than that every month for the past year and have never been throttled.
    05-09-11 10:44 AM
    That's an okay article, but I think it leaves out, or omits other factors, like back-haul, the initial cost of spectrum (VZW paid billions for C-Block, $9-10B I think, before a single antenna was lit up), and the fact that VZW and AT&T both have very large traditional telephone companies associated with them that aided greatly in sustaining their growth. Those telcos cost a lot of money.

I actually believe we won't see a whole lot of data throttling. Those that we do see will be on those that are intent on making their wireless device (via hotspot or dedicated MiFI or USB modem) their sole internet connection for home/business/mobile/wherever use.
    I don't think they are hurting.

Verizon profits nearly double, but miss Wall Street expectations -- Engadget

AT&T profits up 25 percent on wireless growth | Signal Strength - CNET News
    05-09-11 05:29 PM
    I never said they were hurting, I simply said their stuff costs some serious money. Somehow so many people think they should give their sh*t away for free...
    05-09-11 05:57 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD