Excuse me for being a Noob about this and just gotta say, I love coming to these Crackberry forums for advice and info, but got a few questions about Data Roaming on my Verizon 8330.

I'll be driving up to Toronto, Canada from NJ and I was wondering if there is an option to cut off/disable ALL data connection as soon as I cross the border - so I don't get charged everytime my BB checks for new mail, Twitter, Facebook alerts, etc.

I will like to have the option to use my BB as a phone only (I already know that I'll be charged something like 0.69/minute while roaming). However, is there a way to disable the data connection without modifying my plan. I called up VZW Customer Service and just got forwarded to "Global Services" which recommended that I purchase an International plan for the 4 days that I'll be in Canada.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
    04-17-09 03:08 PM
    Go to options>mobile network>and turn off data services
    04-17-09 03:12 PM
    Go to options>mobile network>and turn off data services
    Or "Off when roaming"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 04:43 PM
    its a shame there's isn't a wifi only option!!!

I think a few ppl were looking for a need for wifi?

LOL! Gotta love Verizon!!! lol
    04-17-09 04:57 PM
    Lets see op stated that he did not to pay for data, this why he asked to have it shut off.

Have one question for you? With as much as you whine about VZW, why are you still paying them for your service?
    04-17-09 05:45 PM
    I think RM brought this up because in the 9630 forums there was a few people that couldn't figure out the need for wifi and that if you have the "network" there's no need for wifi.
    This situation is a prime example why wifi would be beneficial on VZW blackberries.

04-18-09 05:45 PM
    I think RM brought this up because in the 9630 forums there was a few people that couldn't figure out the need for wifi and that if you have the "network" there's no need for wifi.
    This situation is a prime example why wifi would be beneficial on VZW blackberries.

might be a prime reason, But VZW is tough on network security and peoples privacy, both which are a risk of WI-FI for VZW. So the company line goes
    04-18-09 05:48 PM
    Its an extra dollar per day for the global data. Suck it up and pay the 4 bucks.

04-18-09 07:00 PM
    Or "Off when roaming"

Thanks guys, that did the trick. Just wondering why VZW customer service didn't know how to do this from the get-go. "For every Verizon blackberry, you must have a blackberry plan" VZW stated, however, I already KNEW that. Just need a way to disable the data connection. Off when roaming or completely Off does the trick.

Don't worry the Big Red will get me either way on Long Distance charges for every phone/text I initiate/receive.

Thanks for the info ppl.
    04-18-09 11:48 PM
    Just wondering why VZW customer service didn't know how to do this from the get-go.
    Scratching head cause I R one of dem reps
    04-19-09 06:20 PM
    Scratching head cause I R one of dem reps
    Haha, sorry. Maybe it's ME. The way I brought up the question might have been the issue ;-) As long as I don't get billed a crazy amount of data charges, then I'm cool with the "Off when roaming" option. Thanks!
    04-20-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD