AT&T to Officially Mandate Data Plans for All Smartphones
    Today, 11:32 AM by Eric M. Zeman updated Today, 1:10 PM

AT&T has officially confirmed that starting on September 6, any customer using a smartphone will need to subscribe to a data plan. AT&T said in a statement, "Smartphone users tend to consume a higher amount of data services, like advanced e-mail, mobile Web, applications and more. Being able to take full advantage of these features without having to worry about a fluctuating or unusually high bill generally leads to greater customer satisfaction, so effective Sept. 6, smartphone customers will need to subscribe to a data plan, as the vast majority of customers already do." This change will apply to new lines and any renewed contracts after September 6. Existing customers who already have smartphones without data plans will be able to stay with their current plan. The data plan costs $30 per month and applies to iPhone, BlackBerries, Windows Mobile, Symbian and Palm devices.

This now proves all carriers are going to this
    08-21-09 03:17 PM
    Awesome. I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 03:32 PM
    AHAHAHA Fall in line AT&T users.
    08-21-09 03:34 PM
    Interesting how they don't exclude devices released before Sept. 6.

This is true, they are basing their grandfathering on contracts. This is a faster way to get people converted. VZW on the other hand as long as you get a device prior to Nov-2008, you can stay without data.

Think this might be happening as ATT needs money if VZW get the iPhone
    08-21-09 03:55 PM
    Didn't even think about that! Totally makes sense their swinging for the fences before they lose their prized posession.
    08-21-09 04:00 PM
    Interesting how they don't exclude devices released before Sept. 6.

It is for any smartphone on the AT&T network, regardless of the type, brand or date of manufacture. Sign up for a new contract, get a new phone or even make changes to an existing account will require you to add a data plan or downgrade to a regular device.

Tmobile is doing the same thing. They cannot afford to continue absorbing the bandwidth costs.

08-21-09 05:21 PM
    I understood the post, I just find the exclusion interesting.
    I knew you did. I was simply elaborating on your comments.

08-21-09 06:44 PM
    This is true, they are basing their grandfathering on contracts. This is a faster way to get people converted. VZW on the other hand as long as you get a device prior to Nov-2008, you can stay without data.

Unless it is a BlackBerry, which a data plan is required, regardless of the date.
    08-21-09 08:38 PM
    Unless it is a BlackBerry, which a data plan is required, regardless of the date.
    This is true, thank you for the clarification. Although years ago there was a 10MB plan. Price difference was not worth it though.
    08-21-09 08:43 PM
    I think that all providers should require a data plan on all smart phones. I think that it would clear up a lot of confusion with the customers.

Heck, half of the posts on the forums are regarding data plans and what is and what is not data.
    08-21-09 10:14 PM
    This is not surprising. Wireless carriers are an oligopoly. When Verizon indicated they would be including wifi in their smartphones going forward, but still required all users to have a data plan, they gave AT&T some wiggle room in their pricing.

AT&T didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. The average consumer isn't that sophisticated when deciding on what wireless company to go with (most people on this site excluded), so AT&T decided to close that loop.

The end result? Both carriers benefit in their own way, and from a consumer's point of view, it's now no longer preferable to go to one carrier over the other.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 08-22-09 at 10:39 AM.
    08-22-09 10:36 AM
    I think that all providers should require a data plan on all smart phones. I think that it would clear up a lot of confusion with the customers.

Heck, half of the posts on the forums are regarding data plans and what is and what is not data.
    Tmobile now requires data and has raised their texting rates. Sprint won't be far behind.
    Verizon did it first and still didn't lose customers over it all.

08-22-09 02:53 PM
    Tmobile now requires data and has raised their texting rates. Sprint won't be far behind.
    Verizon did it first and still didn't lose customers over it all.
    Exactly. If this did sway a large number of customers, AT&T would not go down this road. They would have preserved this customer benefit as a differentiator, like rollover minutes. Instead they finally asked themselves, 'Why the heck are we not doing this too?"

Lost.
    Revenue.
    Opportunities.

The most hilarious thing is the press release. They went where VZW went with the discontinuation of SMTP Relay: improvement of the customer experience.

If I could just take a stab at the FAQ:
    Why are you requiring I purchase a data plan for my smartphone?
    We've enacted this policy change so our customers are able to take full advantage of all data services, like advanced e-mail, mobile Web, applications and more without having to worry about a fluctuating or unusually high bill. As such, this is part of our commitment to ensure that our customers are provided with the best possible user experience,....
    Wow, thanks AT&T! Here's my credit card.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 08-22-09 at 07:04 PM.
    08-22-09 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD