05-18-09 02:19 AM
27 12
tools
    I've read that you get like 5 g of data for the $30 a month thing, is that a lot? I plan on using the Pandora app a lot so I don't want to have to pay a ****load of overage fees.
    What is the difference between that plan and the Blackberry Solutions one?
    05-17-09 03:12 PM
    I've read that you get like 5 g of data for the $30 a month thing, is that a lot? I plan on using the Pandora app a lot so I don't want to have to pay a ****load of overage fees.
    are you talking mobile broadband? or for PDA's
    05-17-09 03:28 PM
    There's no hard limit for using data on the device to the point that you'll get any overage charges, the 5gb limit is when you tether to your computer.
    05-17-09 03:34 PM
    I'm talking about using just regular mobile web on a BB Curve from Verizon. I don't even know what tethering means... Haha
    05-17-09 03:40 PM
    well, to tether you basically hook ur BB up to ur PC and u can use the internet. but you have to pay for it
    05-17-09 03:41 PM
    The $29.99 Email & Web for BB plan is good enough for your curve if you don't plan to do any tethering. That is the plan that I have on my current BB and I the highest I've ever seen my data usage in a given bill period was 2 GB which was when I was using Slacker a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 03:46 PM
    I heard that if you go over 5 gig on your phone and you are not tethering (which is very hard to do, ive never send 1million emails in a month before, but this is if you did) then verizon would "guess" that you are tethering without being on a tethering plan and so heap a bunch of charges on you. My point is, the "unlimited" data you get with your phone isn't so unlimited after all.

05-17-09 03:51 PM
    I heard that if you go over 5 gig on your phone and you are not tethering (which is very hard to do, ive never send 1million emails in a month before, but this is if you did) then verizon would "guess" that you are tethering without being on a tethering plan and so heap a bunch of charges on you. My point is, the "unlimited" data you get with your phone isn't so unlimited after all.

I've never ever heard of this happening. But if you was to use 5GB of data on your phone i would think your tethering too.. holy cow that's alot
    05-17-09 03:53 PM

Verizon can tell the difference between tethering and mobile data. This is not true. You'll never be charged unless you break your TOS.
    05-17-09 04:12 PM
    What is the difference between the $30 one and the Blackberry Solution the $44 one?
    05-17-09 05:08 PM
    Enterprise server access (usually used for internal corporate emails)
    05-17-09 05:11 PM
    What is the difference between the $30 one and the Blackberry Solution the $44 one?
    BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) = $30
    BES (Blackberry Enterprise Service) = $45

Main difference is BES allows you to interface directly to an email server that has been equipped with the Blackberry Enterprise Server software. It also allows your IT admin to control the IT policy of your Blackberry.

With BIS, your integration with email servers is through either IMAP or POP.

Unless you need the BES options, and have a server with the right software running on it (either a Hosted BES server or an in-house BES with the proper licensing), BIS is the way to go.
    05-17-09 05:18 PM
    Thanks for the info
    05-17-09 05:33 PM
    why is BES so much more productive to warrant the $15 extra per month... curious?
    05-17-09 06:19 PM
    BIS doesn't do instant email pushing. The BIS server checks every 15minutes for new email. If one is found, it checks again every 3 minutes for the next 15 minutes for additional new messages. If no new messages are found, BIS waits 15 minutes before checking for new messages again. If a new message is found, then the every 3 minutes for 15 minutes process is started over until no new messages have been found.

BES will push instantaneously any mail left on the BES emial Server to your phone.

PS, don't know if this warrants the extra money, but it is why they charge it, I guess.
    05-17-09 06:40 PM
    I don't think that's true. my BIS pushes instantly to my phone from my GMAIl.

BES just has more secure protocols to go through so it takes more bandwidth and more bandwidth = more money hence the higher charge.
    05-17-09 06:56 PM
    BIS doesn't do instant email pushing. The BIS server checks every 15minutes for new email. If one is found, it checks again every 3 minutes for the next 15 minutes for additional new messages. If no new messages are found, BIS waits 15 minutes before checking for new messages again. If a new message is found, then the every 3 minutes for 15 minutes process is started over until no new messages have been found.

BES will push instantaneously any mail left on the BES emial Server to your phone.

PS, don't know if this warrants the extra money, but it is why they charge it, I guess.
    BIS will push Gmail and yahoo email addresses down to the phones.
    05-17-09 07:01 PM
    BIS will push Gmail and yahoo email addresses down to the phones.
    And it does so as instantly as network traffic allows - there is no difference between BIS/BES for this.
    05-17-09 07:03 PM
    And it does so as instantly as network traffic allows - there is no difference between BIS/BES for this.
    Which is typically instantly. Unlike other IMAP or POP servers.... When I get my yahoo and gmail email, it hits my BB before it hits my inbox on my computer, is what i was meaning to say.
    05-17-09 07:06 PM
    Forgot about GMAIL and YAHOO, those do seem to work faster than other IMAP / POP servers, but I don't use either that way. I use the gmail app for gmail, and don't use yahoo at all.
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 05-17-09 at 07:13 PM.
    05-17-09 07:09 PM
    why is BES so much more productive to warrant the $15 extra per month... curious?
    I always wondered that as well.

I guess you pay more for instant wireless calander and email sncy.
    05-17-09 08:11 PM
    i do notice gmail and yahoo to be faster but I think its due to being imap vs pop3. Still unsure about the benefit of BES though
    05-17-09 08:19 PM
    i do notice gmail and yahoo to be faster but I think its due to being imap vs pop3. Still unsure about the benefit of BES though
    Yahoo is actually pop3. And it has nothing to do with imap vs. pop3 I don't believe considering my email from work is an IMAP server and it takes me forever to get those.
    Last edited by niubeav; 05-17-09 at 09:16 PM.
    05-17-09 09:04 PM
    if you use over 5gb with your device tethering or not, tetherberry uses your phones data which vzw can not tell a difference of. you will get overages. again if you use 5gb on your device there will be overages.
    05-17-09 09:40 PM
    BES is used for Exchange and stuff like that. Basically email, calendars, and contacts. BIS is used just for email.
    05-17-09 09:42 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD