Hi everybody, I searched around and didn't find a concrete answer.

I have fulfilled my contract commitment with my Tour (phone and data plan). I am looking to remove the data plan. I could get a new dumb phone, but I love the apps I have, the setup.. yadayadayada.

we need to cut expenses and I can live without the data plan. Am I able to drop just the BB service ($29.99) and keep the phone active?

The local rep said no, but I want to find out for certain on this issue from experts at CrackBerry.com.

Thanks in Advance,

-keep.
    08-25-10 02:23 PM
    Nope.
    Smartphone requirement.
    They could if they wanted to, but they won't.
    I have a Treo 700W (3G) phone on my plan with a data block.
    It was made and released before the data requirement so they will block data.
    Blackberries are a must carry for data.
    08-25-10 02:28 PM
    If you have VZW, the amswer is no.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-25-10 02:28 PM
    Thanks Everyone. Not what I wanted to hear... but that is how it goes.

Just a thought. If I go to a dumb phone for X period of time, can I go back and activate the Tour without data?

-keep
    08-25-10 02:35 PM
    Every BlackBerry on Verizon MUST have a BlackBerry Data Plan. If you try to activate the Tour again it will automatically add the $30 data plan.

No way around it, as was said above.
    08-25-10 02:37 PM
    Okie Dokie. Thanks everyone.

-keep
    08-25-10 02:39 PM
    You'll have to get another phone to get rid of the data plan.
    08-25-10 09:49 PM
    They know it's a BB by the ESN.
    The ESN/MEID tells Verizon everything they need to know because every ESN/MEID *MUST* be in their database for the phone to be accepted on the network.
    08-26-10 11:14 PM
    Go to sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 04:39 AM
    You can always reactivate your previous "dumb" phone that doesn't require data, and keep your BlackBerry on hand until you can afford it again. Or sell the BlackBerry and stay on the dumb phone.

You can also upgrade to a VZW phone that doesn't require data, such as the LG Cosmos. My husbands uses that and it's a nice full keyboard phone. Good for texting.

08-27-10 05:49 AM
    Go to sprint.

Sprint requires data too.

08-27-10 08:49 AM
    I think only Tmobile allows you to use a Smartphone without data now.
    08-27-10 09:00 AM
    Hi everybody, I searched around and didn't find a concrete answer.

I have fulfilled my contract commitment with my Tour (phone and data plan). I am looking to remove the data plan. I could get a new dumb phone, but I love the apps I have, the setup.. yadayadayada.

we need to cut expenses and I can live without the data plan. Am I able to drop just the BB service ($29.99) and keep the phone active?

The local rep said no, but I want to find out for certain on this issue from experts at CrackBerry.com.

Thanks in Advance,

-keep.

So a forum where 98% of the people that post dont work for Verizon Wireless know more than the representative at the Verizon Wireless store? Unbelievable.

Anyways, Here is your answer...... NO YOU CAN NOT HAVE A BLACKBERRY ACTIVE WITHOUT A DATA PLAN. Oh, im a "local rep" too.
    08-27-10 09:41 AM
    Technically You can still use your phone without a data plan just not on VZW. If your looking to save money, unlock your Tour and check out T-Mobile ! Verizon is out of control with data plan requirements -they require phones like the EnV to have a data plan.If you served your time -fulfilled your contract there is no reason I can think of, other than greed, that you should not be allowed to continue to use your phone as a PHONE. Your state Attorney General (Consumer Affairs Division) might be of some assistance as well.
    08-29-10 09:13 PM
    Verizon is out of control with data plan requirements -they require phones like the EnV Touch to have a data plan.
    Yeah, but that plan is only $10 monthly.
    In this day in age, everyone is connected to the internet.
    If you don't agree with Verizon and their business then you can switch to another carrier.
    I'm not trying to sound rude, but I think its true.
    08-29-10 09:17 PM
    No Sir, In no way could I consider your comment rude and I'm trying not to be as well . Right at this very moment We have 6 VZW lines totally or partially down. I am using both T-mobile and At&t to communicate ( yes I have access to all 3 carriers) . VZW requiring a data package on phones that are targeted for teen-agers is wrong on SO many levels (Ask any mother of a a teen-ager for specific details).
    With regards to most everyone being connected to the internet, again that is true. But with the wide spread access to free wi-fi there is no need,in most cases, for a data plan. If you take this to the next step, very soon there will be no need for Carrier .
    Last edited by Dadp2; 08-29-10 at 09:53 PM. Reason: mistyped
    08-29-10 09:50 PM
    Verizon, and all other carriers that require a data plan, do so to protect you and themselves. When you "accidentally" use data on a phone with no data plan attached you generate a massive bill. Is that their fault or your fault? So then you call Verizon up to complain how you somehow got a $1000 in data charges. You used their service and now you don't want to pay for it, so then Verizon is forced to eat the money, or have a very mad customer who won't pay their bill. Yes, they could put a block on it, but then the customer will complain because some of the features on their phone won't work, like using wifi. It makes it easier on everyone to just require a data plan.

Just like what has been said in this thread. You aren't forced into any of Verizon's phones, you aren't forced to use Verizon at all. If you don't like how a carrier operates, then go elsewhere, nothing is stopping you from moving. You signed a contract, so you knew exactly what you were getting into in the first place.
    08-29-10 10:33 PM
    No Sir, In no way could I consider your comment rude and I'm trying not to be as well . Right at this very moment We have 6 VZW lines totally or partially down. I am using both T-mobile and At&t to communicate ( yes I have access to all 3 carriers) . VZW requiring a data package on phones that are targeted for teen-agers is wrong on SO many levels (Ask any mother of a a teen-ager for specific details).
    With regards to most everyone being connected to the internet, again that is true. But with the wide spread access to free wi-fi there is no need,in most cases, for a data plan. If you take this to the next step, very soon there will be no need for Carrier .

So someone complaining about a $10-$30 data plan has to have service with 3 carriers. That's necessary. And even if you validate it some how, then you should probably have no issue paying more for a data plan.
    08-29-10 10:50 PM
    Technically, the ONLY consumer feature that will not work do to a data block is MMS (which may or may not impact picture messaging). If the service book for BIS is not sent, there is no browser enabled, accidental usage is therefore impossible.
    Wi-Fi functions independent of the carrier.
    As far as requiring data plans for media phones, target marketed to teen-agers, ask any mother of a teen-ager. Be sure to mention Social networking and location based services.
    08-29-10 11:45 PM
    I think $10 is reasonable for a teenager who's probably just going to update their Facebook, Twitter and Myspace.
    If the parent dislikes it, you can always get an LG Cosmos with no data plan! :P
    08-30-10 12:01 AM
    Please recall a gentleman paid a lot of money for his Tour!! I support his right to use that equipment. There is simply no technical reason for him to be forced to switch phones or carriers. In the world that we live in, times have changed people are making budget cuts. He fulfilled the contract, he paid for the equipment, there is no technical reason he cannot continue to use his Tour. IMHO,the gentleman bought and paid for his Tour, it is a phone and he should be able to continue to use it in whatever capacity he chooses.
    08-30-10 12:13 AM
    Technically, the ONLY consumer feature that will not work do to a data block is MMS (which may or may not impact picture messaging). If the service book for BIS is not sent, there is no browser enabled, accidental usage is therefore impossible.
    Wi-Fi functions independent of the carrier.
    As far as requiring data plans for media phones, target marketed to teen-agers, ask any mother of a teen-ager. Be sure to mention Social networking and location based services.
    Well not having MMS is a HUGE deal to most people. But anyway, try turning your Data Services off (Options> Mobile Network> Data Services, Set to Off) and then try using your Hotspot browser on wifi. When a block is put on data it affects ALL data, wifi or network. This is why people who have limited data plans need to be careful because they can't have the carrier block data.

I don't understand your last point, it sounds like your giving a reason why these media phones need to have a data plan. That mothers of teenage kids know that their kids will want to use social networks, but those mothers still need to keep track of their kids.
    08-30-10 12:15 AM
    Verizon, and all other carriers that require a data plan, do so to protect you and themselves. When you "accidentally" use data on a phone with no data plan attached you generate a massive bill. Is that their fault or your fault? So then you call Verizon up to complain how you somehow got a $1000 in data charges. You used their service and now you don't want to pay for it, so then Verizon is forced to eat the money, or have a very mad customer who won't pay their bill. Yes, they could put a block on it, but then the customer will complain because some of the features on their phone won't work, like using wifi. It makes it easier on everyone to just require a data plan.

Just like what has been said in this thread. You aren't forced into any of Verizon's phones, you aren't forced to use Verizon at all. If you don't like how a carrier operates, then go elsewhere, nothing is stopping you from moving. You signed a contract, so you knew exactly what you were getting into in the first place.
    Excellent points...you made them before I did! The "my phone isn't working" thing is a BIG deal to the staff, whether they're the tech support folks on the phone or the store staff, because of the time they used to have to spend explaining to disappointed customers WHY all of the "features" that they expected to have on the phone "weren't working."

Remember that many average customers aren't as astute as some of our forum readers, like our OP, who actually take the time to figure out what their phone will do and not do, with or without a data plan or any other additional services. They see or know someone else with a phone of the same type, and assume that their phone should be able to do all the same stuff... so they get upset when it doesn't. Better to sell a customer a phone AND a service package that will WORK as expected.

For those who truly don't want or need a data plan, there are plenty of really useful and interesting phones to choose. If there are teens in the family who love to send text messages, buy a non-BB phone with a full keyboard, and get a plan that includes unlimited text messaging. There are options out there for just about everyone's needs.
    08-30-10 12:20 AM
    Please recall a gentleman paid a lot of money for his Tour!! I support his right to use that equipment. There is simply no technical reason for him to be forced to switch phones or carriers. In the world that we live in, times have changed people are making budget cuts. He fulfilled the contract, he paid for the equipment, there is no technical reason he cannot continue to use his Tour. IMHO,the gentleman bought and paid for his Tour, it is a phone and he should be able to continue to use it in whatever capacity he chooses.
    You are correct, and it does make sense but...

If he wants to use it on Verizon's network then he must follow Verizon's rules. He is out of contract, the phone is his, so he can go to whatever carrier that best suits his needs. If he doesn't want or need data then Verizon isn't best suited for him.

This is America, the land of freedom, the freedom to choose, nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head. If you don't like something then you don't need to support or follow it.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 08-30-10 at 12:25 AM.
    08-30-10 12:23 AM
    Well said !! We are all granted rights in equal measure. Wisdom in excercising those rights was not subject to the same distribution rules.
    08-30-10 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD