04-19-10 01:30 PM
41 12
tools
    The SIM card is the key there guys. Not usable on a CDMA network.

Besides, with the SIM, the carriers don't look much at the actual device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 01:28 AM
    It's all about $$$
    12-19-08 09:16 PM
    It's all about $$$
    I don't agree. It's not all about the money, but all about it's purpose. BlackBerry data plans have actually come down. Verizon used to charge $45/mo but it's now $30 for consumers.... just over a year ago.
    12-19-08 11:05 PM
    YOU are business that provides cell phone serivce. You have thousands of devices on your network that have pay as you go data. All because most people only want to use the phone and the contacts etc. The internet is and email is there loads of customers are tempted to use the net. THEY DO! rack up data charges in hundreds or more. Then call and tell you that they never used the net and want a credit for services used. This amounts are to million of dollars a year.

The system you use show they accessed the data (btw you cannot see where you go) just that the device used data. You are nice and issue a credit and then WAMO! it happens again next month. at this time you ask the customer to add a data plan or get another device. If they get the data plan then you will issue a credit as to help them out, as the the customer rectified the problem.

From a business stand point you make desicion to require a data plan for all BB devices. Oh yes you see that this also happenes with other PDA's and advanced devices. Yet another Business desicion, you decide to make all other PDA's and smartphones that use data released after Nov 14, 2008 will now also require data plan.

These advanced devices have functions that require data to work to their full potential.

If customers do not want the data get a regular phone and get a my verizon account (backup assit is free) in conjunction with Backup assistant to back up the contacts or,

Get a regular phone and Palm PDA without the phone for everything else.

This is the opinion of one user only Have a nice day

PS any typos or misspellings are here to protect me
    Last edited by lastraid; 12-20-08 at 08:55 AM.
    12-20-08 08:36 AM
    (I can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'll just post as a reply here. Hope someone sees it!)

We've been with Cingular/AT&T since we got our first cell phones years ago, and now my daughter and I have BBs. She lives in Montreal and only uses this phone when she comes home for vacations (a couple of times a year). I've been adding the BB data plan for her phone on an ad hoc basis, when I knew she was coming home, and removing it when she leaves.

Well, I tried to remove it today and found out that I can't -- a data plan is now REQUIRED for all BBs/smart phones/etc. We were apparently advised of this a few months ago, but I never heard about it.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense to pay $30/mo for a data plan for a phone that isn't used! Does anyone know if there is a carrier that allows you to add and remove the feature as we've been doing?

Thanks!!
    01-03-10 08:49 PM
    (I can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'll just post as a reply here. Hope someone sees it!)

We've been with Cingular/AT&T since we got our first cell phones years ago, and now my daughter and I have BBs. She lives in Montreal and only uses this phone when she comes home for vacations (a couple of times a year). I've been adding the BB data plan for her phone on an ad hoc basis, when I knew she was coming home, and removing it when she leaves.

Well, I tried to remove it today and found out that I can't -- a data plan is now REQUIRED for all BBs/smart phones/etc. We were apparently advised of this a few months ago, but I never heard about it.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense to pay $30/mo for a data plan for a phone that isn't used! Does anyone know if there is a carrier that allows you to add and remove the feature as we've been doing?

Thanks!!
    Most if not all carriers have adopted this policy now.
    01-03-10 08:52 PM
    I hate paying, but I honestly can't live without the data now...
    01-03-10 08:58 PM
    VZW told me that it was mandatory to get the $30/month data plan per line that has a Blackberry.
    01-04-10 07:57 AM
    Isnt Tmobile still allowing the choice? Or have they gone mandatory now too?
    01-04-10 08:01 AM
    VZW told me that it was mandatory to get the $30/month data plan per line that has a Blackberry.
    It's been mandatory on Blackberry's forever. It's been mandatory for all PDA/Smartphones since October of 2008
    01-04-10 09:41 AM
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Looks like we're stuck with the $30/month charge if we want to keep the phone line. Bummer!!
    01-04-10 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Looks like we're stuck with the $30/month charge if we want to keep the phone line. Bummer!!
    I think your right jrmama42. I bought a BB on Ebay just because I like the keyboard and overall layout. I put my sim card from my old phone in and within 3 days I was sent a message from AT&T that they signed me up for a data plan over night even though I never used it. I went to their site and looked at my account to try to remove it and that option wasn't even there. With AT&T if you have a BB you WILL get a data plan.
    03-16-10 05:11 PM
    One option is to have the esn switched to a basic phone when its not needed, the data plan will be prorated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 10:02 PM
    TBH, I really don't see why this was adopted by pretty much all the companies. If any of the companies were smart, the one that would not have gotten this adopted would have had a rush of customers.

How about instead of requiring a user to get a data plan because you have a big thumb that may press the browser button on accident and get charged $10k for the 3kb it used, have the option to either get a data plan or only be able to use data when in wifi hotspots...otherwise why put wifi compatible on the phone in the first place.

I use my phone either at work or at home, both places have wifi so it makes no sense for me to pay for something I will never use.

BTW, no matter what anyone says, you cannot force someone to pay for something they do not use. Period, especially if they end up purchasing the phone from ebay or amazon or wherever and not get the carrier's huge discount (or so they say, it prolly costs pennies on the dollar for the phones to begin with). This however is currently the case with AT&T where you must pay even if you get your phone elsewhere.

Now if someone can claim a class action against Earthlink for having their early termination fees "too high" and WIN, this will be a class action sooner or later, it's only a matter of time.

Next thing Directv will require me to get all their premium channels they offer because otherwise I cannot take full advantage of their HD DVR service, or you can't buy a PlayStation 3 if you're only going to use it as a Blu-ray player. Come on now, have some common sense when you start saying stuff like don't get a blackberry if you don't want to pay for the data plans. I happen to love their keyboards, media player, calendar and other non-data heavy apps, not to mention I use my WIFI 100% of the time which I already pay AT&T Uverse for to begin with.

I will instead return my blackberry, go with some dumbphone and most likely switch to T-Mobile since they now atleast have $5 add a line for family plans which will end up being cheaper than what I am paying now at AT&T, and that's already including a 25% discount from my work (which ofcourse doesn't discount text or data plans).
    Last edited by tigerae; 04-19-10 at 03:28 AM.
    04-19-10 03:22 AM

I use my phone either at work or at home, both places have wifi so it makes no sense for me to pay for something I will never use.

BTW, no matter what anyone says, you cannot force someone to pay for something they do not use. Period, especially if they end up purchasing the phone from ebay or amazon or wherever and not get the carrier's huge discount (or so they say, it prolly costs pennies on the dollar for the phones to begin with). This however is currently the case with AT&T where you must pay even if you get your phone elsewhere.
    You are absolutly right, thats why as a consumer you have the option to choose what service provider you go with and therefore what services you pay for. Please, stop acting like anyone is forcing you. If you didn't want the data plan you would either A) not go with that carrier or B) not get a phone that required one. If you want a "cool" phone and don' want to pay for it, take your cheap *** to TMo, you two are meant for each other.
    04-19-10 12:05 PM
    To all:

Two things,
    have you guys ever heard of an ipod?

Get an ipod touch, it will solve all your issues other than phone,,,

If you have a blackberry, you have it for data,,, simply put,

if you dont want data, then a blackberry is pointless.

Wifi was added to the phones to assist in loading at a faster rate of speed, we as a society are data/information hungry.

Simply put if you want a media player, calendar, phone, calculator, and other all in one, you get a blackberry,

Otherwise get an ipod touch, you will have everything you need minus the phone without paying for data,,, oh and btw,,, if the app goes through for the ipod touch you will soon be able to make calls voip,,,, as long they figure out how to make a bluetooth headset with microphone work with it,,, all you will need is your wifi signal,,,,

tiger,,,, directtv has many fees in there that you dont need.

and a ps3 only for bluray,,, bad analogy, as a bluray player is much cheaper then ps3 no need to get it for just bluray.. no one in their right mind, let alone left mind ;P would buy a ps3 just for bluray.
    Last edited by Feeeeg; 04-19-10 at 01:40 PM.
    04-19-10 01:30 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD