05-03-09 12:44 AM
86 1234
tools
    With Verizon you must get the Data plan.
    REASON: People could not control what they were using their phone for. i.e. DATA
    After tons of blackberry and pda users racking up $800+ bills and expecting to get a credict back because they 'didn't know they were using it', verizon decided this was better way to sell the products and better for the consumer. Besides, if you just want a phone with a keyboard there are plenty to choose from. And if you think u are going to get around data charges with any other carrier, think again because data will be charged for some kind of use. So Suck it up and pay for what you 'eventually' will be using. Guarantee this...you get a blackberry, you will use it as a BLACKBERRY.
    04-30-09 09:15 AM
    How would RIM dilute their brand by making slimmed down version? How does RIM make money off of data charges last time i checked my data charges are from Verizon? It would be Verizon losing out on Data Charges. And my scenario is not as far fetched as yours. Look at the BB Flip, who would have thought there was a market for a flip bb. BB's didn't have cameras a few years back. I'm just saying that if there is a demand RIM could fulfill it.

And yes, I have brand loyalty. It's what every company wants.
    Thank you for clarifying your misunderstanding of how the money is distributed. RIM gets a portion of every Blackberry data plan from every carrier. How else could they afford to maintain BIS and all the email services related to it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 09:15 AM
    How does RIM make money off of data charges last time i checked my data charges are from Verizon? It would be Verizon losing out on Data Charges. And my scenario is not as far fetched as yours. Look at the BB Flip, who would have thought there was a market for a flip bb. BB's didn't have cameras a few years back. I'm just saying that if there is a demand RIM could fulfill it.

Do you think Verizon collects the money and keeps all of it? Does RIM provide their data services for free while Verizon gets rich? from what I have heard way over half of your data bill goes to RIM. So you cut data and RIM is impacted a lot more than Verizon. You forget that while the phones have sprouted cameras and flip features and touch screens they still are BB data phones. They added and they didn't take away. Want a stripped down BB? You can still get the 8830. No cam and no flip.

04-30-09 10:10 AM
    With Verizon you must get the Data plan.
    REASON: People could not control what they were using their phone for. i.e. DATA
    After tons of blackberry and pda users racking up $800+ bills and expecting to get a credict back because they 'didn't know they were using it', verizon decided this was better way to sell the products and better for the consumer. Besides, if you just want a phone with a keyboard there are plenty to choose from. And if you think u are going to get around data charges with any other carrier, think again because data will be charged for some kind of use. So Suck it up and pay for what you 'eventually' will be using. Guarantee this...you get a blackberry, you will use it as a BLACKBERRY.
    yea.... cause t-mobile is out of control with claims for credit for accidental data use right?
    04-30-09 10:41 AM
    I can't say for a fact how much money goes to RIM or VZW, I'm not sure if that's public knowledge so my bad for assuming they don't get any. But what would it hurt if they had more devices. I don't see the point of locking out a market sector.
    04-30-09 10:43 AM
    Get the 8350i from nextel. My uncle is using one and does not have a data plan. And it has wifi so when your on wifi you can use the internets and what not.
    04-30-09 10:57 AM
    I wouldn't want to pay for a data plan on Nextel either. Their data network is so slow all you can really do is email.

04-30-09 11:57 AM
    How would RIM dilute their brand by making slimmed down version? How does RIM make money off of data charges last time i checked my data charges are from Verizon? It would be Verizon losing out on Data Charges. And my scenario is not as far fetched as yours. Look at the BB Flip, who would have thought there was a market for a flip bb. BB's didn't have cameras a few years back. I'm just saying that if there is a demand RIM could fulfill it.

VZW and RIM have an agreement. RIM gets part of the data plan. keep in mind that all RIM services (email, browser, bbm, etc) all are RIM's data servers. you're going through their stuff.....1XEV is full 3G connection AND RIM connection...1xev is just 3G connection WITHOUT RIM connection. mkay?
    04-30-09 12:22 PM
    No, RIMM is the correct ticker symbol for Research In Motion (maker of Berries).

RIMM - Research In Motion Limited (USA) - Google Finance
    Depends on where you are and which stock market you are trading on. In the US it is RIMM, but in Canada (where they are from) it is traded as RIM on the Toronto Stock Exchange... so you both are kinda right

How would RIM dilute their brand by making slimmed down version?...
    Everyone knows the name BlackBerry and associates it with email... even my totally clueless computer users at work that haven't upgraded their basic phones for many years.

... But what would it hurt if they had more devices. I don't see the point of locking out a market sector.
    BlackBerry was born with the sole intent of being mobile email. They have added around that foundation, but will never take from that. It would defeat their company mission. Right from the horse's mouth BlackBerry "BlackBerry was born many years ago as a wireless email solution."
    Last edited by cliffr39; 04-30-09 at 04:05 PM.
    04-30-09 04:01 PM
    I don't think it's as far fetched as everyone makes it out to be. I did a little research, and found the 7270. BlackBerry - BlackBerry 7270 Wireless Handheld Device | Phone, Email, SMS, Browser & Instant Messaging This device was geared toward business, but I don't see why they can't make similar devices geared toward consumers. It's the basic concept of cell phone / data over wifi and no data charges.

"7270 is a device that offers instant messaging, e-mail and telephony in one handy unit, but offering it to people lower down the executive chain, who aren't so mobile, and can't run up the high mobile bill of a typical BlackBerry user. "

Convert the enterprise lingo to family lingo. Then you would have the perfect crackberry family. Without all the data charges.
    05-01-09 08:10 AM
    Will not happen. WI-FI with the exceptions of few devices on a CDMA device is rare. But on this debate for me, will stop here. too many other forums about this.

As far as I know and not 100% sure the device you referenced in your post, was not on VZW netwrok, at least not with WI-FI in it. If is was it was before my time and if it had the WI-FI on the VZW network, it was prior to 3G coming out. Just a thought this no in way meant to be fact.
    05-01-09 08:41 AM
    What are the benifits of not having a data plan.
    05-01-09 09:14 AM
    What are the benifits of not having a data plan.
    nothing there is no benefit. You have an advanced phone they will send sms only. you can get a dumbphone with a qwerty KB for this. There are those that like the sync function of a pda/smartphone.

I also hope your question, does not open the darn WI-FI issues again. getting old and plenty of other forums about this.
    05-01-09 09:19 AM
    Doesn't the 8900 serve that very purpose? U can take off the data and it has wifi! WALA!

Everyone needs to stop talking about the limited CDMA capability to work with wifi. You make it more complicated than what it needs to be. Bottom line, Verizon is the CDMA mothership, and they wont want wifi so that they can justify their requirement for a data plan. I think its as simple as that.

If they allow wifi, it opens the door to bending their arm backwards about giving customers the option of removing data. And that will kill their bottom line so they are resisting wifi for that very reason. Data is too profitable right now for them.
    05-01-09 09:43 AM
    Doesn't the 8900 serve that very purpose? U can take off the data and it has wifi! WALA!

Everyone needs to stop talking about the limited CDMA capability to work with wifi. You make it more complicated than what it needs to be. Bottom line, Verizon is the CDMA mothership, and they wont want wifi so that they can justify their requirement for a data plan. I think its as simple as that.

If they allow wifi, it opens the door to bending their arm backwards about giving customers the option of removing data. And that will kill their bottom line so they are resisting wifi for that very reason. Data is too profitable right now for them.
    Hmm show me one other CDMA that has WI-FI on their devices? Sprint, Alltel, um no.
    05-01-09 10:21 AM
    Buy a Q9M from ebay
    05-01-09 10:52 AM
    Hmm show me one other CDMA that has WI-FI on their devices? Sprint, Alltel, um no.
    crucial is a device tester and has already confirmed wifi equiped 9630 devices despite it looking like it will never reach production with it. Also.... lets not forget the storm 2 that is confirmed wifi capable!
    05-01-09 11:05 AM
    crucial is a device tester and has already confirmed wifi equiped 9630 devices despite it looking like it will never reach production with it. Also.... lets not forget the storm 2 that is confirmed wifi capable!
    Once again like you ssaid capable, does not mean a release will have it.
    05-01-09 11:08 AM
    Once again like you ssaid capable, does not mean a release will have it.
    He said confirmed? I think you missed the operative word. Nothing is confirmed before the final release except that it will be a phone with data ability.

05-01-09 11:19 AM
    Um no he said confirm capable I believe

05-01-09 11:33 AM
    He said confirmed wifi capable. It may or may not end up that way with testing. From what I have been told lte smart phones will require data authentication so I can't see Verizon taking away the requirement especially knowing the phones will be dual band and will still access the cdma side. And if lte is everywhere why would anyone want wifi? Yeah I know I know in case I might want to go to somewheere in the Andes where there is no cell service. Give me a break.

05-01-09 11:46 AM
    I think we need a new crackberry rule. Everyone who posts this question gets a perma-ban. Christ, its asked everyday! Use the search tool.

People that switch services over silly reasons such as this one make me laugh. 9 times out of 10 they come back wanting to reactivate because VZW has far better coverage...fact.
    05-01-09 12:09 PM
    I think we need a new crackberry rule. Everyone who posts this question gets a perma-ban. Christ, its asked everyday! Use the search tool.

People that switch services over silly reasons such as this one make me laugh. 9 times out of 10 they come back wanting to reactivate because VZW has far better coverage...fact.
    I hereby nominate smachart for smartest person alive today.

What I read was like 80% return within 30 days and 90% within a year. I still like the perma-ban idea. A flogging out back would be a gooder thang too.

05-01-09 12:38 PM
    well, capable was always known. Just as we know the 9630 is "CAPABLE" of wifi! But if bgr and even cb and kevin r correct, this thing WILL come to production with wifi

I even think the CEO of RIM confirmed it in a video somewhere. A search under storm 2 may find it but I know I saw it here somewhere...
    05-01-09 01:43 PM
    well, capable was always known. Just as we know the 9630 is "CAPABLE" of wifi! But if bgr and even cb and kevin r correct, this thing WILL come to production with wifi

I even think the CEO of RIM confirmed it in a video somewhere. A search under storm 2 may find it but I know I saw it here somewhere...
    An oak tree is capable of wifi if you put a radio in it but you must have the radio to do it.

05-01-09 01:49 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD