05-03-09 01:44 AM
86 1234
tools
    I want a carrier that respects my right as a consumer to use the phone I want to use how I want to use it....If they require I pay an additional $30 a month to use the phone I want to use then who needs them? They're just another carrier, they have no loyalty to me, I have none to them.
    Most carriers require the BlackBerry data plan these days, and that is because RIM has been telling them it is required to offer the device. Yes, you can buy the BlackBerry on a GSM carrier and just switch out the SIM card, but the carriers do audit accounts to ensure that provisions are set up correctly... at least AT&T does (especially for iPhone and BB). This is because of requirements they have to agree to with the makers (RIM and Apple)

You know, I'm sorry it got worked up into all of this, what can I say? I had a legitimate question and I received a legitimate answer and solution.

All the threads I found through google about operating without a data plan gave me hope ...but some of them were dated so I needed to make sure...but seriously, why does anyone care what I use the stupid phone for? I just wanted to know if I could get it on Verizon...
    It doesn't matter what people here say you can or cannot get, it matters what the sales person says that is selling you the device. They are the ones that will make the account changes. It is just like the other person said: if you want service you have to get the "bundle" they offer. You can not always pick-and-choose to build your own. Cable you have to get basic cable, digital cable etc... not just pick what channels you want and leave out the rest (I wish you could, I watch only TWO cable channels haha, and those are only offered in the digital bundle). With cellular you cannot get the exact minutes you want, you must pick a bundle. The same is for some data-centric devices.

Good luck with T-mobile. I have not used them in just over a year, so not sure if they "force" you to have the data plan or not from personal experience, but they did require my brother to get the plan (just three months ago).
    04-29-09 09:07 PM
    I think bb would expand their market if they made a few dumb phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I do not think this is in their business plan. They have a nitche in a market that has done well for them. Use to be just for business, now they have added media and cameras, this opened a whole new world for them. They are not hurting
    04-29-09 09:11 PM
    They are not hurting
    Thats for sure. A friend of mine is an Assistant Manager in a VZW corp store. She told me today that in her store 41% of the phones they sell are Berries. I'm buying more shares of RIMM tomorrow morning!
    04-29-09 09:22 PM
    Thats for sure. A friend of mine is an Assistant Manager in a VZW corp store. She told me today that in her store 41% of the phones they sell are Berries. I'm buying more shares of RIMM tomorrow morning!
    I would get RIM not RIMM they make lids for tupperware. Although that might not be a bad investment either
    04-29-09 09:28 PM
    I would get RIM not RIMM they make lids for tupperware. Although that might not be a bad investment either
    No, RIMM is the correct ticker symbol for Research In Motion (maker of Berries).

RIMM - Research In Motion Limited (USA) - Google Finance
    04-29-09 09:32 PM
    No, RIMM is the correct ticker symbol for Research In Motion (maker of Berries).

RIMM - Research In Motion Limited (USA) - Google Finance
    Then stand corrected, I might get some to Guess maybe I had it reversed. Never really thought about it in stock symbol
    04-29-09 09:49 PM
    I own RIMM stock already. I would like to see them open up their user base.

04-29-09 09:57 PM
    I hae to comment here...

I agree that these phones are most useful with data plans since e-mail push and apps is the greatest parts of having a blackberry. But don't sit here and tell me or anyone that they will not operate correctly without a data plan! Not only is this a complete and utterly false statement, but anyone who actually makes a statement like this knows full well that this is false! A forced data plan is in place for one reason only .... Money!
    04-29-09 10:05 PM
    I own RIMM stock already. I would like to see them open up their user base.

If you mean open their base by making Dumb Phones, IMHO I do not think they will go there.
    04-29-09 10:06 PM
    U know get them hooked eventually they'll want the device that has a data plan.

04-29-09 10:07 PM
    I had a 7750 without data it was great. I knew not to hit the internet or setup email.

04-29-09 10:10 PM
    Yep the ol 7750, back then data plans were not required. In most cases though for the most part, the Curious George comes out in all of us.
    04-29-09 10:11 PM
    The env and env2 are candybar phones.

They are actually clamshell phones. Candybar phones are ones that do not open in any form (i.e. Blackberry Pearl, Curve, Storm, LG Dare, etc.)

The GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) will activate a Blackberry without a data plan. But usually they will not give you the mail in rebate. Good luck. Verizon audits accounts and if they find a BB active without a data plan, they will slap one on there.
    04-29-09 10:51 PM
    How many times has this been answered?

04-29-09 11:29 PM
    How many times has this been answered?

Too many and it is a losing proposition. If we answer yes, we're lying. If we answer no, then we're stupid sheep and Verizon is a ripoff. There should be a rule that says if people are too lazy to check the carrier site, call 611 or a store, they should be taken out to be shot and not allowed to post stupid questions here.

04-30-09 12:21 AM
    Too many and it is a losing proposition. If we answer yes, we're lying. If we answer no, then we're stupid sheep and Verizon is a ripoff. There should be a rule that says if people are too lazy to check the carrier site, call 611 or a store, they should be taken out to be shot and not allowed to post stupid questions here.

I think I'll just start posting non-nonsensical answers.

"Can I get a Blackberry without data?"
    "Yes. Just convert the OS to Debian and solder in a +5 db antenna."
    Or
    "If you put the Blackberry in Analog Only mode before activation they won't know it's a blackberry so they won't require a data plan"
    I like the second one since it sounds like it could be true.
    04-30-09 01:11 AM
    Millions -

I can understand your desire to use your phone as you want. After all, it's your phone! Totally understandable. In that case, Verizon is not a good choice. The Storm doesn't have Wi-Fi and they lock everything down. It's their way or the highway.

I think you'll definitely be happy with T-Mobile. They may insist on a data plan, but you won't need it. Get a 8900 so you can use data over Wi-Fi/ and GPS without a plan! If I couldn't afford the data plan, that's what I would do with my phone.

While I use a data plan and love the benefits of it, I can see that it's not for everyone. Don't listen to the "Data Plan" fanboys. Some are just trying to justify why everyone should fork out 30+/month like they do.
    04-30-09 01:20 AM
    I want a carrier that respects my right as a consumer to use the phone I want to use how I want to use it. I can buy the phone myself if necessary, I don't need to buy it through them. I need to USE it through them, however.

Again. I want a phone that is:
    - Not a touch phone
    - Not a flip phone or a slider phone
    - Has a QWERTY keyboard so I can take down Calendar notes, send text messages, has a speaker phone...so on and so forth.
    - Isn't ugly or bulky as ****

There's not a lot of choices out there.

If they require I pay an additional $30 a month to use the phone I want to use then who needs them? They're just another carrier, they have no loyalty to me, I have none to them.
    the carrier signs that agreement with the mfgr as part of their equipment contract i believe. not every carrier does though. have you looked at winmo devices? some don't require data plans...
    04-30-09 01:28 AM
    the carrier signs that agreement with the mfgr as part of their equipment contract i believe. not every carrier does though. have you looked at winmo devices? some don't require data plans...
    Oh yeah. Totally forgot.

OP. Get a Motorola Q9c and load WinMo 6.1 or whatever the newest one that will work is. No data plan required and you can probably get a decent used one for under $150.
    04-30-09 01:30 AM
    hence why i am Sir Genius...
    04-30-09 01:33 AM
    I know I proposed this last night, but didn't really want to expand on it since I was typing on my bb. But why doesn't RIM tip their toe into making some non data devices. I for one would love that option. My company pays my data, my wife's company does not. All we really want to do is sync our calendars and contacts which can be done from my desktop at home. All she wants is a qwerty keyboard for texting. When our kid grows up, and is old enough for a device they would get a dumbed down version as well. Then we would all be some sort of crackberry family without needing 3 data plans.

Maybe the only way around this is for carriers to offer some sort of family data plan but I don't see that happening. The only other feasible option would be for plans to be reduced. That seems a long way out though. Sort of like when dial up first hit the scene it was pay monthly and by the byte. Then they decided to go with pay monthly charge which as I recall was around 30 or 40 bucks per month. Now AT&T is offering DSL for ~10 bucks a month plus fees.

Not quite apples to apples but prices eventually do get cheaper.
    04-30-09 08:46 AM
    You do realize there are standard handsets that you can use a cable to sync calendar information right?

It seems like you just want the brand name BlackBerry on your handset.

I think Ferrari should make a coupe and sedan that only costs $40k but there is no reason for them to dilute their brand with these products.

04-30-09 09:12 AM
    Verizon requires that all WinMo phones sold after November 2008 require data plans. Unless the phone is an older model that you pick up off eBay, you will be required to have a data package now on any subsidized phone WinMo or BB.
    04-30-09 09:37 AM
    You do realize there are standard handsets that you can use a cable to sync calendar information right?

It seems like you just want the brand name BlackBerry on your handset.

I think Ferrari should make a coupe and sedan that only costs $40k but there is no reason for them to dilute their brand with these products.

How would RIM dilute their brand by making slimmed down version? How does RIM make money off of data charges last time i checked my data charges are from Verizon? It would be Verizon losing out on Data Charges. And my scenario is not as far fetched as yours. Look at the BB Flip, who would have thought there was a market for a flip bb. BB's didn't have cameras a few years back. I'm just saying that if there is a demand RIM could fulfill it.

And yes, I have brand loyalty. It's what every company wants.
    04-30-09 09:43 AM
    But why doesn't RIM tip their toe into making some non data devices.
    Why doesn't LG make smartphones? Why doesn't Chevrolet make airplanes? Why doesn't General Electric make cellphones? What a lot of people don't realize is that RIM's biggest profits come from data and not from the phones themselves. So why doesn't RIM dip their toe into the nondata world? Probably not part of their business plan and it wouldn't be a BB but you'll probably get a better answer asking RIM about this.

04-30-09 10:03 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD