05-03-09 12:44 AM
86 123 ...
tools
    Hiya,

So I've got Verizon and I'm looking to upgrade my phone. My current phone (LG Chocolate) has been through the ringer. It won't hold a charge (even with a new battery) some of the buttons don't work, etc. etc.

I'd like to get a new phone and I'd like that phone to be a Blackberry Curve for the following reasons: QWERTY keyboard, not a flip phone, has some calendar functions.

However...I don't want the data plan. I don't want to check email or surf the web with the phone. Everyone I've talked to at Verizon says I HAVE to sign up for the $30 a month data plan. However, I'm seeing conflicting views online. I may in the FUTURE want the data plan, but not right now.

So, if I purchase a Blackberry in this the year of our lord, 2009, bring it into a Verizon store, will they not be able to activate it?
    04-29-09 03:40 PM
    Verizon->Data plan required, period.
    04-29-09 03:43 PM
    Verizon->Data plan required, period.
    Lame. Bye bye Verizon then.
    04-29-09 03:46 PM
    Lame. Bye bye Verizon then.
    And sprint and pretty much all cdma carriers. With lte I hear all carriers will require it. A BB without data is just another phone. You want a carrier to subsidize an expensive phone for voice? That is what is lame.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 03:49 PM
    You just need to get a ENV2 then. No data plan on blackberry wtf?? There is no point in having a blackberry. With VZW you have to have data plan.
    04-29-09 03:54 PM
    And sprint and pretty much all cdma carriers. With lte I hear all carriers will require it. A BB without data is just another phone. You want a carrier to subsidize an expensive phone for voice? That is what is lame.

I want a carrier that respects my right as a consumer to use the phone I want to use how I want to use it. I can buy the phone myself if necessary, I don't need to buy it through them. I need to USE it through them, however.

Again. I want a phone that is:
    - Not a touch phone
    - Not a flip phone or a slider phone
    - Has a QWERTY keyboard so I can take down Calendar notes, send text messages, has a speaker phone...so on and so forth.
    - Isn't ugly or bulky as ****

There's not a lot of choices out there.

If they require I pay an additional $30 a month to use the phone I want to use then who needs them? They're just another carrier, they have no loyalty to me, I have none to them.
    04-29-09 04:02 PM
    You just need to get a ENV2 then. No data plan on blackberry wtf?? There is no point in having a blackberry. With VZW you have to have data plan.
    My sister has one of those and it's the ugliest damn thing I've ever seen. Not to mention I'm done with flip phones.

What do you care how I use the phone anyways?

Also, I did mention I may eventually get the data plan. Right now I don't need it, I just need a new phone. It would be nice to have something I could add the plan to without having to get it right now.
    04-29-09 04:04 PM
    The env and env2 are candybar phones.

04-29-09 04:08 PM
    I want a carrier that respects my right as a consumer to use the phone I want to use how I want to use it. I can buy the phone myself if necessary, I don't need to buy it through them. I need to USE it through them, however.
    I believe you have rights and wants screwed up. Don't try getting cable TV services without paying for the required packages or a car that requires premium gas. If you don't want the required package or requirements then don't try to play with the big boys across the fence.

04-29-09 04:12 PM

Again. I want a phone that is:
    - Not a touch phone
    - Not a flip phone or a slider phone
    - Has a QWERTY keyboard so I can take down Calendar notes, send text messages, has a speaker phone...so on and so forth.
    - Isn't ugly or bulky as ****

There's not a lot of choices out there.

If they require I pay an additional $30 a month to use the phone I want to use then who needs them? They're just another carrier, they have no loyalty to me, I have none to them.
    Just get one from At&t or T-mobile. Problem solved.
    04-29-09 04:16 PM
    I believe you have rights and wants screwed up. Don't try getting cable TV services without paying for the required packages or a car that requires premium gas. If you don't want the required package or requirements then don't try to play with the big boys across the fence.

Heh. Well if you want to let a cell phone company tell you what to buy and how to use it, that's fine with me, there's a sucker born every minute. I have no problem going over to another company where they'll let me use it the way I want to. Thanks for the help.

Just get one from At&t or T-mobile. Problem solved.
    Yep, I'm planning on switching over to T-mobile.
    04-29-09 04:17 PM
    Heh. Well if you want to let a cell phone company tell you what to buy and how to use it, that's fine with me, there's a sucker born every minute. I have no problem going over to another company where they'll let me use it the way I want to. Thanks for the help.

I just love how some people react when you give them an answer they didn't want to hear. Belittling and throwing fits is so juvenile. I can tell you already knew the answer and came here only to start trouble. I hope you enjoy tmobile especially when you realize they will be the last carrier to upgrade their network. Then we can see who is the real sucker.

04-29-09 04:34 PM

Yea, because VZW is the only carrier with rules!
    04-29-09 04:39 PM
    like mentioned switch to another carrier, my bf has a curve and lost his job and they took of the data plan but then reactivated it when he was working again.

but no one told me what to buy or how to use it. i wanted a blackberry, because i knew what they could do , so I told them that I wanted one and I told them it was ok to activate the data plan! i pay for the plan and im fine with it. like any other business in the world you are paying for a service and a product im sure verizons feelings wont be hurt if you switch! but switch to att if you dont want the data package right now! in the future when you do add it.
    04-29-09 04:50 PM
    I just love how some people react when you give them an answer they didn't want to hear. Belittling and throwing fits is so juvenile. I can tell you already knew the answer and came here only to start trouble. I hope you enjoy tmobile especially when you realize they will be the last carrier to upgrade their network. Then we can see who is the real sucker.

Christ, I didn't realize there was such a thing as a Data Plan fanboy. Ease up there chief, I'm leaving your network already, don't worry about it.

And no, if you Google "verizon blackberry "no data plan"" you'll land on a lot of competing arguments regarding the data plan. The ones I found that mentioned you could have a BB without the plan were from last year...so I wanted to make sure I got the news from some people who could tell me straight up, and not a Verizon customer service rep. And someone did that, thanks.

You started trouble when you decided to belittle my reasoning for wanting the phone without all the bells and whistles. Again, if you want to pay $30 a month for what a coffee shop is giving away for free (wi-fi), that's fine.

Again, thanks for the help, end of conversation.
    04-29-09 05:00 PM
    You started trouble when you decided to belittle my reasoning for wanting the phone without all the bells and whistles. Again, if you want to pay $30 a month for what a coffee shop is giving away for free (wi-fi), that's fine.

Again, thanks for the help, end of conversation.
    Calm down Millions. No one is here causing trouble. Don't be so easily offended. This is just your standard run of the mill internet forum thread.

Dogs has a very valid point. If we use your reasoning (coffee shops & wifi) then we should all cancel our cell phones and go back to landlines and pay-phones. Why would anyone pay for a cellphone?
    04-29-09 05:55 PM
    True and why would I need to find a coffee shop so I can hook to data, when with VZW I can get data just about anywhere.
    04-29-09 06:01 PM
    He came here with the sole intent to start trouble. He knew the answer before the first keystroke. Yet another kid wanting to try to strut his stuff against reality and reasons. I can see why Dad would get riled but there is no desire to shut down the real troublemakers.

04-29-09 06:09 PM
    If you want to go use wifi in a coffee shop then what is the point in getting a blackberry from verizon? None of them have wifi. Why wouldn't you just get another phone?

04-29-09 06:26 PM
    Calm down Millions. No one is here causing trouble. Don't be so easily offended. This is just your standard run of the mill internet forum thread.

Dogs has a very valid point. If we use your reasoning (coffee shops & wifi) then we should all cancel our cell phones and go back to landlines and pay-phones. Why would anyone pay for a cellphone?
    You know, I'm sorry it got worked up into all of this, what can I say? I had a legitimate question and I received a legitimate answer and solution.

All the threads I found through google about operating without a data plan gave me hope ...but some of them were dated so I needed to make sure...but seriously, why does anyone care what I use the stupid phone for? I just wanted to know if I could get it on Verizon.

True and why would I need to find a coffee shop so I can hook to data, when with VZW I can get data just about anywhere.
    Well that's great for you, if that works. For me...I have net access at home, at work, at Peet's Coffee and that's pretty much the only place I use it. But I really like the look and functionality of the Black Berry. I want a calendar and a list for tasks...but I don't want to carry a separate PDA...and since there are currently some good deals out there, I thought it might be a good choice. I didn't realize everyone would be so uppity about how I use the phone.

If you want to go use wifi in a coffee shop then what is the point in getting a blackberry from verizon? None of them have wifi. Why wouldn't you just get another phone?

Because I like that Curve. It looks nice, it's not a touch phone or a flip phone, it has good tactile feedback. It's got a calendar and a task list. My girlfriend uses her Pearl as an organizer and a task reminder. I can't do that with my current phone...seriously, if there's a better alternative, I would be open to it...but I don't like that Env2.
    Last edited by Millions; 04-29-09 at 07:08 PM.
    04-29-09 06:36 PM
    Not uppity, just stating a point and that if the BB device works for your needs then so be it. Enjoy!
    04-29-09 07:02 PM
    I just think its the mentality of the answer. Just say no they don't offer bb's without data plans.
    the thread went crazy when people throw their opinions on why anyone would want a bb without
    A data plan. Who cares why people want choices. To me all Vzw phones that are not some sort
    Of smart phone is garbage can u blame somenoe for wanting a better device without a data plan

Just my 2 pesos.

04-29-09 07:52 PM
    So, if I purchase a Blackberry in this the year of our lord, 2009, bring it into a Verizon store, will they not be able to activate it?
    Absolutely. As long as you add the data plan

04-29-09 07:57 PM
    I just think its the mentality of the answer. Just say no they don't offer bb's without data plans.
    the thread went crazy when people throw their opinions on why anyone would want a bb without
    A data plan. Who cares why people want choices. To me all Vzw phones that are not some sort
    Of smart phone is garbage can u blame somenoe for wanting a better device without a data plan

Just my 2 pesos.

These devices are meant to do data,they were bred for this. So when VZW offered a pay as U go data for devices people went with it and then called every month for data charges in the hundreds or more. From a business stand point this is not good to have issue credit for service that someone used and then calls in and says I never accessed data. The systems used to monitor this say something else.

To reduce this, having a data plan was made madatory for BB's and following on last november any PDA/Smartphone released requires a data plan on it.
    04-29-09 08:00 PM
    I think bb would expand their market if they made a few dumb phones.

04-29-09 08:03 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD