Hi - new here!

I have been a verizon customer forever. I just have a razr but I want to get a Curve. I've never had a BB before and have a question. Verizon makes you get a data plan with the BB. (I know, why would you not want a data plan.) But AT&T doesn't make you get a data plan - there's an option to get the phone without internet capabilities. All I really do it text and talk so I am not loving the fact the Verizon is making me get this for the phone. I know once I have the bb I'll most likely want internet anyway. Its this plus the curve is cheaper through AT&T.

So I guess my question is - is there anyone who has a curve without internet? Or would I definitely need to get the data plan.

Also thinking of switching to AT&T but since I've only been with Verizon for the past 8+ years I feel weird switching. Any happy AT&T customers who used to be with Verizon?

Thanks!
    05-23-08 10:39 AM
    I am sure there are people without the data plan but it truly limits your BB experience. I swithced from Verizon to TMO to get the Curve then from TMO to ATT I like the service.
    05-23-08 10:46 AM
    By the way welcome to CB.
    05-23-08 10:47 AM
    Welcome to CB.
    05-23-08 11:29 AM
    I am sure there are people without the data plan but it truly limits your BB experience.
    There's no point in getting a BB without internet service!!!!
    05-23-08 11:32 AM
    i've read on here that you can get the blackberry with data plan, and use it for a month or so, and then cancel the data plan by logging onto the website and accessing your account that way.
    05-23-08 11:34 AM
    The Berry is nothing without a data plan. Unlimited is the way to go...
    05-23-08 11:37 AM
    true, but some people really don't want the data plan for whatever reason. just letting them know how to do it. i could see the advantage of using it for everything other than email/internet over other phones.
    05-23-08 11:42 AM
    I'm an ex vzw customer. I switched to att for blackberry. The phone was $200 cheaper. No regrets. Keep in mind you'll need the data plan. It is only $30 a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-08 12:05 PM
    The Curve may be cheaper on AT&T with the data plan, but I'm pretty sure you only get the discounted price when you purchase a data plan. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking if you don't get a data plan you have to pay full retail.

That aside, if you do want to get a data plan (and you really should), you should stick with Verizon. I think AT&T has really cool phones, but Verizon's coverage and data is FAR superior...Verizon's BlackBerrys are 3G and have been for awhile, whereas AT&T is anxiously awaiting the Bold because they still don't have 3G. If you want faster speeds and better coverage, you know where to turn. =)
    05-23-08 12:14 PM
    I am with VZW and went with the 10mb plan(24.99) thinking I didn't need the internet portion but was wrong! Once your hooked(happens basically after 1st day of owning) unlimited is the only way to go. It was a very expensive lesson for me. Herion has nothing on BB.lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-08 12:18 PM
    Thanks everyone for the information!
    05-23-08 12:56 PM
    The Curve may be cheaper on AT&T with the data plan without paying full retail, but I'm pretty sure you only get the discounted price when you purchase a data plan. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking if you don't get a data plan you have to pay full retail.
    If I remember correctly you CAN get a VZW Blackberry without a data plan and not pay full retail, just choose Nationwide Select to get unlimited texting. However, you won't get the $100 Advanced Device Credit unless you add a data plan.

So yes, a Curve through ATT without data will cost considerably less than the same through Verizon. But without email and web, RSS, realtime chat, etc. you're only using a fraction of the phone's capabilities which sorta defeats the purpose.

When I got mine I thought I'd only use email to check incomings and reply from the desktop later on. But now I reply to virtually all of my short incomings on the BB, or tell the sender that I got their message and will reply in greater detail later when I'm at my computer. That's just one example, I use the Internet a lot more than I thought I would.

The unlimited Blackberry Email and Web addition is $30 a month and the ADC credit will essentially pick up the tab for the first 3.3 months. You can remove it later if you want to but trust me, you won't want to!
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-23-08 at 02:21 PM.
    05-23-08 01:59 PM
    I agree with the above posts. I had a BB 7250 without the data plan, and while I did enjoy the device, I decided to give the data a try; I would never go back. And, now it's only $30 a month for unlimited BIS usage. In addition, I do believe that Verizon has far superior coverage and data speeds with the EVDO network as compared to AT&T's EDGE network. Give the data a shot for a little while; if you don't end up using it you can always remove it from your account.

Good luck!
    05-23-08 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD