Hi, I have both a BlackBerry Bold 9700 on AT&T and I have a BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 that's unlocked that I use when I'm in Europe, which is quite a lot.

Anyway, I'm still under contract with AT&T until June of next year. But I want to try out Verizon's data service. Now I know that prepaid isn't an option with the BlackBerry devices, but I wanted to know if I could just sign up for data only and not a voice plan. I want to do this to get a feel for what the data services are like and the throughput speed is like.

I'm happy with my AT&T data plan in this regard, and I want to see if I'll like Verizon's speeds before I commit to a plan. And having other Verizon users tell me "it's fast" isn't good enough, because speed, like many other things, is highly subjective.

Just a simple yes or no answer will suffice: is a data-only plan possible on Verizon to allow me to "try out" their data plan.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    07-24-10 05:55 PM
    No.
    10char

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 06:18 PM
    There is a data only plan with Verizon.
    07-24-10 06:55 PM
    Not anymore, they eliminated the data only plan.
    07-24-10 06:57 PM
    Okay, thanks! Does anyone offer one that anyone knows of? I just hate to pay for a voice plan when all I want is to trial their data features. I also hate going into my local Verizon store for reasons I'll not mention here.
    07-24-10 07:38 PM
    Not anymore, they eliminated the data only plan.
    No we didnt. Its still available and its still 49.99. Im looking at the plan in the plan list right now.
    07-25-10 01:10 PM
    Looks like it's $54.99
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/messagingplans.jsp

The $49.99 is for businesses with at least 5 lines on the account.
    Nationwide Email for Business Plans
    07-25-10 01:28 PM
    Looks like it's $54.99
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/messagingplans.jsp

The $49.99 is for businesses with at least 5 lines on the account.
    Nationwide Email for Business Plans
    No its not. Im looking in our plan list now. You can get the 49.99 data only plan on a regular consumer account. Older plans may not show up on the site or where ever you are looking but we can still access them. Im a corporate rep and looking at the list as we speak to double check what i am saying.
    07-25-10 02:24 PM
    No its not. Im looking in our plan list now. You can get the 49.99 data only plan on a regular consumer account. Older plans may not show up on the site or where ever you are looking but we can still access them. Im a corporate rep and looking at the list as we speak to double check what i am saying.
    I suppose that's what I'm looking for, but I have a couple of questions:

Can I, as a non hearing impaired individual, get this? There seems to be mention of having to be hearing impaired, unless I read it wrong.

Is the Storm 2 eligible for this plan? So many plans seem to exempt BlackBerry-style phones.

Can I do this online or must I go into a local Verizon Wireless? I hope I can do it online, as I really hate going into their stores here in NYC.
    Last edited by PDADoc; 07-25-10 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Poor grammar, cleaned it up.
    07-25-10 07:55 PM
    @itsthemusic:

Okay, I went to the Web page posted here to check it out, and decided to try and get it, just for the heck of it. Ran into a couple of snags: If there's a way to bring my own device, I haven't found it; it won't let me check out without choosing a phone, and none of those phones are smartphones, which makes me believe that BlackBerry devices are probably not allowed. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Also, can I go month-to-month? I don't want to sign a 1-yr or 2-yr contract because I'm already under contract with AT&T.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
    07-25-10 08:04 PM
    T-Mobile offers data plans, both with contracts and without.

Go to T-Mobile's website, and click Shop --> Plans --> Internet & Email (I do not have enough posts to post the link)

Virgin Mobile also offers a contract-free BB Curve 8530 for $35.99/mo (includes 300 minutes of voice, but is cheaper than data-only plans from other carriers).
    Last edited by mpboley; 07-25-10 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added Virgin Mobile Info
    07-25-10 08:52 PM
    T-Mobile offers data plans, both with contracts and without.

Go to T-Mobile's website, and click Shop --> Plans --> Internet & Email (I do not have enough posts to post the link)

Virgin Mobile also offers a contract-free BB Curve 8530 for $35.99/mo (includes 300 minutes of voice, but is cheaper than data-only plans from other carriers).
    Thanks for the info, but a couple of problems: I want a CDMA data plan, and T-Mobile offers GSM.

Virgin Mobile might work, but I'm bringing my own device, the Storm 2 9550, and I have no interest in purchasing another device just to get a data plan.
    07-25-10 09:28 PM
    Thanks for the info, but a couple of problems: I want a CDMA data plan, and T-Mobile offers GSM.

Virgin Mobile might work, but I'm bringing my own device, the Storm 2 9550, and I have no interest in purchasing another device just to get a data plan.
    Yeah, T-Mobile wouldn't really work for you if you want 3G speeds on your Storm. I'm not overly familiar with Virgin Mobile....for the price they're offering per month, they'd probably want you to buy their phone (maybe not though).
    07-26-10 07:54 AM
    Ok, then, but you might have to argue to get it, because I was told the data old plan was eliminated for consumers, and was for business accounts only.
    07-26-10 08:18 AM
    The data only plan is gone and only business accounts. The hearing impaired plan isn't that though.

07-27-10 12:12 AM
    The data only plan is gone and only business accounts. The hearing impaired plan isn't that though.

Once again no it isnt. Im looking at the plan now. When you click on the "view all plans" radio button it comes up.
    07-29-10 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD