I am currently using a USB 720 for laptop/desktop internet access and I am considering upgrading my phone to to dual mode Storm. I was told by CSR that, with the storm, I could be on line and still use the phone simultaneously.

I have the Americas Choice 2 plan at $79.99 and they quoted me another $44.99/mo for the broadband (i guess referred to as the data plan) and another $15/mo for the "tethered modem". Does that sound right? It seems expensive considering my wife upgraded her T-Mobile plan ($59.99/mo) with the "curve" and the upgrade for the internet access/data plan was only another $19.99/mo.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    11-24-08 12:11 PM
    Not on cdma. Data piggy backs on voice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 05:17 PM

11-24-08 05:23 PM

So the VZW CSR didn't even know what she was talking about? Using the internet with my laptop and using the phone at the same time isn't possible with Verizons network? Pardon my ignorance but is there a carrier that this BB function is possible with?
    Thanks.
    11-25-08 11:57 AM
    So the VZW CSR didn't even know what she was talking about? Using the internet with my laptop and using the phone at the same time isn't possible with Verizons network? Pardon my ignorance but is there a carrier that this BB function is possible with?
    Thanks.
    Are you talking about having your phone tethered to the laptop and still call out with the phone?

Using you bba card and making calls with the phone??

need more info.
    11-26-08 12:27 AM
    Verizon charges more than tmobile simply because it is a better service. As for the simultaneous tether and talk i'm not sure but i would assume not.

11-26-08 12:34 AM
    There is a $29.99 BIS only Blackberry data plan, but you'd still have to pay $15 extra for tethering. No plan currently includes that.

Also, no matter what BB you have on Verizon or Sprint for that matter (since they are both CDMA network technology) will allow you to use both voice and data simultaneously.
    11-26-08 12:41 AM
    Are you talking about having your phone tethered to the laptop and still call out with the phone?

need more info.
    Correct. I am told that the Curve/Storm have the ability to be used (tethered) to my laptop so that I can be in email while using the phone at the same time. Now I'm being told that Verizon's network (CDMA) will not allow for this feature. This crap is above me but I need to be able to do both so I am searching for information on carriers that will support this dual feature and educating myself in the process.
    11-26-08 11:35 AM

need more info.
    Correct. I am told that the Curve/Storm have the ability to be used (tethered) to my laptop so that I can be in email while using the phone at the same time. Now I'm being told that Verizon's network (CDMA) will not allow for this feature. This crap is above me but I need to be able to do both so I am searching for information on carriers that will support this dual feature and educating myself in the process.
    11-26-08 11:36 AM
    There is a $29.99 BIS only Blackberry data plan, but you'd still have to pay $15 extra for tethering. No plan currently includes that.

Also, no matter what BB you have on Verizon or Sprint for that matter (since they are both CDMA network technology) will allow you to use both voice and data simultaneously.
    If he has the $29.99 email and web for blackberry pkg, then tethering is $30, not $15. To be able to access the internet from a laptop or desktop using the VZW network, the cost always works out to be $59.99/month

59.99/month for the aircard

59.99/month to tether with a standard handset

44.99 BES pkg + 15 for tether = 59.99

29.99 BIS pkg + 30 = 59.99

Also, it's a 5GB /month cap. .25/mb overage
    11-26-08 11:43 AM
    You can not be online on your laptop and on a call if you are tethering. You can however take a call while tethering, but if you do you will not be able to continue browsing, etc.
    11-26-08 11:45 AM
    from what I gather, I think u have to pay the $44.99 and then the extra $15 for the tethered option with 5mb limit!

EXPENSIVE!!!! especially with a 5 mb limit!
    11-26-08 01:00 PM

The tethering feature for Verizon, if you have the $44.99 BES, it's only $15 to tether. If you have the $29.99 BIS, it's $30 to tether. Always comes to $59.99 when tethering.
    11-26-08 02:46 PM
    from what I gather, I think u have to pay the $44.99 and then the extra $15 for the tethered option with 5mb limit!

EXPENSIVE!!!! especially with a 5 mb limit!
    It's 5gb limit. Gigabyte, not megabyte.
    11-26-08 02:48 PM
    Thanks.
    With GSM networks you can use the phone and internet at the same time ( with the phone, not sure about while tethering ). So TMO and AT&T would be a good place to start.
    11-26-08 02:49 PM
    I have a Tilt on ATT. You can talk on the phone and teather to laptop at the same time. As everyone else said. You will have to go to the superior GSM technology to do what you want.
    11-28-08 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD