I went to the Verizon Store looking to upgrade to a BB and I get there and all is going well. But then the salesperson tells me that I need to purchase a data connection to have a BB. Now a data connection is 30 a month which I'm sure you guys know. But I can't really afford that, I was just looking to use if for texting and other programs. Now I heard from a friend that if you purchase a BB and pay for the data connection for one month, you can cancel it after the first month and you can still keep your BB. So my question would be, is that true?

Thank,
    St0rmmm
    02-28-09 12:20 PM
    I went to the Verizon Store looking to upgrade to a BB and I get there and all is going well. But then the salesperson tells me that I need to purchase a data connection to have a BB. Now a data connection is 30 a month which I'm sure you guys know. But I can't really afford that, I was just looking to use if for texting and other programs. Now I heard from a friend that if you purchase a BB and pay for the data connection for one month, you can cancel it after the first month and you can still keep your BB. So my question would be, is that true?

Thank,
    St0rmmm
    If you can't pay for a BlackBerry, you need another phone.

You cannot have a BB on VZW without a data plan. Cancel the data plan after 30 days & your Storm will also fail to operate. CDMA BlackBerrys use data too often to not be unlimited.
    02-28-09 12:22 PM
    But not having a data plan (even though not possible on vzw) on a blackberry is crippling some of the devices capability. If you just want to use it for texting, etc. why not another type phone? A bb to me without data is like Corn Flakes without the Milk.
    02-28-09 12:23 PM
    If you can't pay for a BlackBerry, you need another phone.

You cannot have a BB on VZW without a data plan. Cancel the data plan after 30 days & your Storm will also fail to operate. CDMA BlackBerrys use data too often to not be unlimited.
    Ok, thanks.

But not having a data plan on a blackberry is crippling some of the devices capability. If you just want to use it for texting, etc. why not another type phone? A bb to me without data is like Corn Flakes without the Milk.
    Yea, I guess. I just really like how they look, I'm not a real big fan of other phones. It's whatever.
    02-28-09 12:24 PM
    But not having a data plan (even though not possible on vzw) on a blackberry is crippling some of the devices capability. If you just want to use it for texting, etc. why not another type phone? A bb to me without data is like Corn Flakes without the Milk.
    Not really, when you see the reality of how these things work on CDMA. Anyone who has ever looked at the data breakdown on their BlackBerry plan on any CDMA carrier can tell you the device processes data under a variety of circumstances. The simplest of mine can be seen @ my automated overnight restart time. My BlackBerrys grab a data connection to RIM servers on shutdown & startup. Without a data plan, I'd incur data charges just for restarting my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 12:37 PM
    If you really want a BB, but don't want the data than go to TMobile. They are the only wants that I am aware that have this feature or lack of feature for BB phones. However, don't slam the phone when you find out how much you can do with a BB if you had the data package.
    02-28-09 12:46 PM
    We have people claim AT&T doesn't require a data package, but everytime I talk to AT&T, I am told they do require one - I've even done mock orders on their site & the site requires the data package. So, make your own call - I'd trust AT&T info before I'd trust an Internet claim.

Sprint has a cheaper BB plan bundle & T-Mo isn't too far off & T-Mo's customer service is light years ahead of AT&T or Sprint.

For coverage, though, T-Mo & Sprint are intolerable for me.
    02-28-09 01:05 PM
    Thanks TwinsX2Dad, I appreciate the info. I'll definately look into your suggestions.
    03-01-09 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD