Today I took advantage of a verizon flyer and brought home a Storm!!9550 Blackberry.. The store was Oh so happy to take my hard earn cash. and also sign that I would pay over $300 plus if i EVER break their ***** 2 year agreement..

Then I got home

I have been a alltel.blackberry customer for years... I have the alltel.blackberry.com email adress on my business cards...I go to the alltel.blackberry.com]BlackBerry site to use the handy dandy switch device pin tool.. THEN I LEARNT THE HARD COLD FACTS !!

Verizon canceled the account, before I walked out of the store. I call tech support, and they say.. Yep - It's gone.. You have NO account on that server. So how do I access my "alltel.blackberry.com" address and change it to verizons "vzw.blackberry.net" ?

YOU CAN NOT.. Period

You poor sucker - just make a new account on the verizon blackberry server and kiss "alltel's server and your accounts left behind Good Bye
    - you can't even save the emails, that never made it to you..

Sure would have been nice to give a heads up...

But then that would have up's the price of breaking a verizon blackberry contact to $500 plus bucks.. as you know, Verizon spent a arm and a leg to buy out alltel. and could care less about the outcome..

So I am spending my holiday, trying to convince, the software writers I bought from.. that Yep, is me and I need yet another pin code adjustment so I can use their software on the StormII.. (it has been a storm for me.. I am still not even half way done with the change overs..)
    12-26-09 11:26 PM
    I'm sure its a hassle to have to go through all that....but didnt you know that would happen ahead of time ? its a verizon phone, not alltel

Worst part is that anyone emailing you right now, there is no way to forward it or anything...sorry dude
    12-26-09 11:30 PM
    there is a reson most people use gmail or yahoo on their bb's.
    12-26-09 11:50 PM
    ya i dont get y you or ne one for that matter would use a carries email (In ur case alltel) to be there main email account, in case things like this happen.

u should of gotten either gmail or yahoo and not alltel but whats done is done and now ur screwed and u need a new email now
    12-26-09 11:58 PM
    I have had similar happen when changing ISPs again this is why its always best to have a web based email as your primary such as gmail or hotmail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 12:42 AM
    Yes, i had the same thing happen when i was a smart phone newb. i had an AT&T mmode.com email address for 4 years. However, i knew that when i switched to VZW i'd lose that address. Common sense and then asking the AT&T rep confirmed for me.

That's why it's best to go with a web based email as stated above. Set it up first, tell your contacts before you switch.

Sorry for your hassle. Good lesson learned though. i think you have 30 days to port back to Alltel.

12-27-09 05:38 AM
    i guess you didnt ask them the important questions you should have. if this was for business or any way business related, i wouldve made sure this was clearly thought out ahead of time. you could have sent all business contacts a mass email, warning them of your intentions to change carriers and email addresses.

also, anytime you port out of one carrier into another, your previous account is immediately cancelled. didnt you know that? however, i found out recently that ports can be cancelled midway through and you can reinstate your previous account within a certain time frame, like 60 days (well at&t does at least). i had them manually settle a port then re port back to at&t from tmobile within 3 hrs of the port beginning.

at&t and t-mobile were very understanding and werehappy to assist in terminating the port where i didnt think it would be possible. basically, im saying it still may be possible for you to get old info from your altell account as long as someone is willing to take the time to help you.
    12-27-09 06:56 AM
    Of course that email address is gone. It's an Alltel address for an Alltel device. You no longer have either. Done deal.
    12-27-09 07:54 AM
    i guess you didnt ask them the important questions you should have. if this was for business or any way business related, i wouldve made sure this was clearly thought out ahead of time. you could have sent all business contacts a mass email, warning them of your intentions to change carriers and email addresses.

also, anytime you port out of one carrier into another, your previous account is immediately cancelled. didnt you know that? however, i found out recently that ports can be cancelled midway through and you can reinstate your previous account within a certain time frame, like 60 days (well at&t does at least). i had them manually settle a port then re port back to at&t from tmobile within 3 hrs of the port beginning.

at&t and t-mobile were very understanding and werehappy to assist in terminating the port where i didnt think it would be possible. basically, im saying it still may be possible for you to get old info from your altell account as long as someone is willing to take the time to help you.
    I completely agree with you to a point...
    first I want to say... I am SO sorry for the loss of your email... however did you ask the tech rep if you could try to use the same username for the vzw.blackberry.net email? I've been just doing that for a lot of my alltel/verizon converters. Works nice as long as the username isnt being used already on the vzw bis server. However like my faithful collegues above state, get a webbased email for important things like business.
    2nd to the above posters comment about important q's... completely agree there... to a point. Its very possible that even if he HAD asked the appropriate questions at the store that either the rep wouldnt know and would try to blow smoke to look good. They SHOULD know but I've found my experiance at stores with sales reps especially they are ill informed. You would think that they would be MORE informed than even technical support on a lot of things but more often they arent.
    Again, dude, sorry about the email thing... but this is a good life lesson that we all have to learn sometime.
    12-27-09 07:58 AM
    This very topic has been discussed on this site multiple times actually. No way around it and nothing but a limitation set by each carrier BIS.

12-27-09 09:25 AM
    Learned the same lesson when I switched to the Tour---not even a business email. Sorry for the lost email

12-27-09 11:43 AM
    Yeah the people who setup your new service should have been smart enough to tell you that would happen. A lot of in store reps across the carrier spectrum are idiots. That is why I deal with them on a very as needed basis.

12-27-09 04:12 PM
    Right, without belaboring the point you essentially changed carriers. You went to a Verizon store, with Verizon signs, were helped by a Verizon employee wearing a Verizon shirt and Verizon nametag and, perhaps, a phone badged "Verizon". You selected your S2 from this Verizon store (since, of course as you know, right now Verizon has an exclusive on the 9550 in the USA). You demoed the S2 at a Verizon kiosk, podium, or device sales position. While demoing the Verizon S2 and talking with the Verizon employee in the Verizon shirt with the Verizon nametag you perused the phone specs for the S2, prominently posted in front of you on paper with the Verizon logo on it, touting Verizon services.

So you said "I'll take it!" enthusiastically to the Verizon salesman you'd been working with. Maybe you even perused the selection of cases, screen protectors, and skins securely clamshell packaged with Verizon's name on them. You went to the counter, where there were Verizon ads and flyers, Verizon plan descriptions, and business cards for each Verizon salesperson walking around in a Verizon shirt with Verizon nametags. Maybe when you swiped your card you looked down at the POS terminal and saw the Verizon name and "V" prominently displayed. You reviewed the contract terms between you and... Verizon... acknowledged the ETF and all other T&C, and signed the POS terminal with the Verizon name and Verizon logo. The Verizon salesman put your new S2, exclusive to Verizon, in a Verizon bag, and you left the Verizon store, passing 3, 4, 5, 6.. Verizon-logoed signs and other marketing junk. As you drove off you may have glanced back at the Verizon store and noticed the enormous VERIZON sign hanging off of it.

Having gone through that, let me respectfully ask one question: at what point did you think you were dealing with Alltel? Blackberry.net addresses are, like ISP email addresses, carrier-specific. As much as I might want a Fido.BlackBerry.Net address, the only way for me to get one (legally) is to sign up for service with Fido. Blackberry.net addresses are great. They're handy for a number of reasons, including forwarding piddly-slow BIS accounts to, but I would no more put my vzw.blackberry.net address on a business card than I would my ISP address. Or even my gmail account. When you can register a domain for $6 a year, and pay next to nothing for mail hosting, if you're doing business I'd highly recommend going that route. Get your own domain. Then you're: 1) not reliant on someone else and; 2) presenting a far more professional image of your business, whatever it might be.

Just my $.02.

EDIT: Oh, and your analysis of the ETF is flawed as well. You wouldn't owe "$300 if I EVER cancel". The ETF for you as of today is $350. Each month during your contract it will go down $10. However, currently if you cancel in the last month of a 2 yr you'd still owe $120. Hypothetically. Not $300. Always a good idea to do your homework BEFORE you buy, not after. And to have your facts in order, too.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 12-27-09 at 04:41 PM.
    12-27-09 04:34 PM
    Yeah the people who setup your new service should have been smart enough to tell you that would happen. A lot of in store reps across the carrier spectrum are idiots. That is why I deal with them on a very as needed basis.

I deal with the detritus from bad store reps who were poorly trained every day that I take calls at my call center. The biggest problem I've seen so far is Walmart. They tell the customers nothing. No first bill expectations, no info on self-serve options, nothing. Even when they're offering free activation, etc., they usually can't get that right either.

I've heard that VZW is considering setting up sales rep training. Not as intensive as what we get at the call centers, but hopefully enough to reduce the number of times I have to say something along the lines of, "Sir, I do apologize, but what the store representative told you in that case is simply not our policy. ... No, sir. I'm not saying he was a liar. I'm saying that in this case, he was simply mistaken."

There are some real headaches coming with Alltel. VZW CC takes over all Alltel CS for converted customers on January 15th. I've had half of the training for it, so far. Six hours. Going over the conversion plans, which VZW html phones can be put on Alltel plans, how certain things are billed differently if you have a VZW phone on an Alltel plan, as opposed to an Alltel phone. Data charges are minutes for an Alltel phone, MBs for a Verizon phone. Explaining a bill is going to be a nightmare for a while.

The nuts and bolts aren't that complicated, just explaining the differences to customers is not going to be easy.
    12-27-09 06:02 PM
    I lost my Alltel address as well so I feel your pain. It would have been nice to know in advance but I didn't think it would be affected since I extended the terms and conditions of my Alltel contract. That being said, however, I should have known eventually it would have to go away as Alltel is being phased out. It makes sense, I guess.

12-27-09 07:15 PM
    As an FYI, the Alltel address and BIS account ARE NOT gone, just "deactivated." They're still there. Trust me. You just need to find a tech support person who is knowledgeable enough to get into it for you. I found one and I switch back and forth between my Verizon BBs and Alltel BBs anytime I want and don't have to set up my BIS accounts every time.

Of course, I don't rely on the BB email addresses because I've always known they could come and go. The big concern for me was all of the filters I have set up for my various accounts. I didn't want to have to re-add them every time I switched, so I was very grateful to discover that the Alltel and Verizon BIS accounts are maintained even when you switch back and forth.

The best thing to do is to find a tech support rep who used to work for Alltel and came over to Verizon with the merger. They are the most savvy with this. However, I don't think this solves your problem because you want to keep the Alltel email address. The only way you could do this is go back to an Alltel phone.
    12-27-09 07:58 PM
    Wow! Y'all sure know how to beat up a man when he's down. Yep - an e-mail with someone like Google would have worked. It's what I decided to do years ago.

But, I have to say, I can see where he thought he would still have the alltel address. My parents are on Verizon after being taken over by Alltel. Their phones say Alltel when they boot up, they have Alltel Blackberry e-mails. And everything else switched to Verizon months ago. Let me repeat that, EVERYTHING else switched to Verizon - the call center, billing, online access - everything. Except for the Alltel Blackberry login. So I can see someone assuming that wasn't going to switch yet. I can see them thinking that Verizon would change it over sometime in the near future with a warning.

So, yea, I can see this happening and I can see the customer being upset about it. Verizon should have switched these e-mails over when they switched everything else. With plenty of warning to avoid the confusion.
    12-27-09 08:00 PM
    Right, without belaboring the point you essentially changed carriers. You went to a Verizon store, with Verizon signs, were helped by a Verizon employee wearing a Verizon shirt and Verizon nametag and, perhaps, a phone badged "Verizon". You selected your S2 from this Verizon store (since, of course as you know, right now Verizon has an exclusive on the 9550 in the USA). You demoed the S2 at a Verizon kiosk, podium, or device sales position. While demoing the Verizon S2 and talking with the Verizon employee in the Verizon shirt with the Verizon nametag you perused the phone specs for the S2, prominently posted in front of you on paper with the Verizon logo on it, touting Verizon services.

So you said "I'll take it!" enthusiastically to the Verizon salesman you'd been working with. Maybe you even perused the selection of cases, screen protectors, and skins securely clamshell packaged with Verizon's name on them. You went to the counter, where there were Verizon ads and flyers, Verizon plan descriptions, and business cards for each Verizon salesperson walking around in a Verizon shirt with Verizon nametags. Maybe when you swiped your card you looked down at the POS terminal and saw the Verizon name and "V" prominently displayed. You reviewed the contract terms between you and... Verizon... acknowledged the ETF and all other T&C, and signed the POS terminal with the Verizon name and Verizon logo. The Verizon salesman put your new S2, exclusive to Verizon, in a Verizon bag, and you left the Verizon store, passing 3, 4, 5, 6.. Verizon-logoed signs and other marketing junk. As you drove off you may have glanced back at the Verizon store and noticed the enormous VERIZON sign hanging off of it.

Having gone through that, let me respectfully ask one question: at what point did you think you were dealing with Alltel? Blackberry.net addresses are, like ISP email addresses, carrier-specific. As much as I might want a Fido.BlackBerry.Net address, the only way for me to get one (legally) is to sign up for service with Fido. Blackberry.net addresses are great. They're handy for a number of reasons, including forwarding piddly-slow BIS accounts to, but I would no more put my vzw.blackberry.net address on a business card than I would my ISP address. Or even my gmail account. When you can register a domain for $6 a year, and pay next to nothing for mail hosting, if you're doing business I'd highly recommend going that route. Get your own domain. Then you're: 1) not reliant on someone else and; 2) presenting a far more professional image of your business, whatever it might be.

Just my $.02.

EDIT: Oh, and your analysis of the ETF is flawed as well. You wouldn't owe "$300 if I EVER cancel". The ETF for you as of today is $350. Each month during your contract it will go down $10. However, currently if you cancel in the last month of a 2 yr you'd still owe $120. Hypothetically. Not $300. Always a good idea to do your homework BEFORE you buy, not after. And to have your facts in order, too.
    He just did not think about it when he was in the store, is that so hard to understand? Yes, he should've thought about it, but he didn't. These things happen. Maybe not to you, but to a lot of other people, as you can see from various posts in this thread who had the same problem. in hind side it all makes sense.

I totally agree with you though on using a gmail or blackberry address for business. Just looks very unprofessional and not trust worthy to say the very least. When serious about a business, one should always fork out that little extra cash to register their own domain.
    01-21-10 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD