Included with my recent VZW bill is a statement about Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI).

Part of it states "This information includes: services purchased (including specific calls you make and receive), related local and toll billing info and the type, destination, technical configuration, location and ammount of use of purchased services"

And unless you opt out withing the next 45 days they will automaticaly assume you give them consent.

To opt out either call or go to
    my verizon click on my profiles tab, then under phone controls section, click on the View/Edit privacy(cpni) settings link

Just wanted to share this with the people like me that will want to opt out

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4466/1of2.jpg
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3504/2of2.jpg
    Last edited by peterr22; 09-18-09 at 11:42 AM.
    09-18-09 11:23 AM
    Good find - I opted out as well. Keep in mind this info is only shared within the VZW family of companies and not with outside sources.
    09-18-09 11:38 AM
    true!, sorry i just didnt want to type the whole thing out, i linked to the scans if anyone wants to read the whole thing
    09-18-09 11:43 AM
    Old info that has been well-discussed here - but it was awhile ago.

That pertains to VZW sharing information between their business units - Internet, local, etc. It also includes various internal marketing units who may want to offer you a special phone price or VIP enrollment.

VZW is famously anal about protecting customer information, but they are required to advise you of even internal departmental sharing.

Interestingly, we used to call this the AT&T Privacy Law. It was brought about when AT&T, at the time another company that guarded information like a rabid pitbull. But AT&T had Universal Card & NCR, as well as other entities. Cross-marketing was used & some people got upset over that.

If you ignore it, your information doesn't get used for magazine subs, spam, or Bank of America credit offers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 11:56 AM
    If its so old why was it included with my bill I received Wednesday?

09-18-09 01:20 PM
    If its so old why was it included with my bill I received Wednesday?
    Because the notice is sent out periodically - I believe once every one to two years.

09-18-09 01:35 PM
    Because the notice is sent out periodically - I believe once every one to two years.

makes sense, but this is the first Ive heard of it and Ive been with vzw since 2003..so im assuming i wont be the only curious about this

also, if it really has been sent out sent, then why does it say the 45 day thing on it? Seems like if this was already in place it wouldn't have that 45 day rule, and if is was then wouldn't that mean lawsuit?
    09-18-09 01:56 PM
    From my understanding of it, there was a recent revision in the wording - I just looked & it is minor & now includes extra protections for some states, like Ohio & Arizona.

These are FCC rules that date back to the nineties - and all carriers are required to comply.

I did a quick Internet search & found articles on this for VZW dating back to 2003 & others into the last century. If you didn't see it before, you may have simply overlooked it.

09-18-09 02:28 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=22309939

2007 in that search here.

09-18-09 02:49 PM
    All set here; set my folks and my account... phew
    09-18-09 03:10 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=22309939

2007 in that search here.

search came up blank/dead whatever you wanna call it
    Last edited by peterr22; 09-18-09 at 04:11 PM.
    09-18-09 04:07 PM
    search came up blank/dead whatever you wanna call it
    Top of page - see the Search link?

Now enter CPNI.

Voila, you have some of the past conversations.

09-18-09 04:37 PM
    Top of page - see the Search link?

Now enter CPNI.

Voila, you have some of the past conversations.

could you google that for me?
    09-18-09 10:39 PM
    could you google that for me?
    You really don't want to go there, mixing Dad with Google.

09-18-09 11:43 PM
    You really don't want to go there, mixing Dad with Google.
    Let it go - from the start the guy didn't care about the truth - he just wanted to start something.

09-18-09 11:45 PM
    Let it go - from the start the guy didn't care about the truth - he just wanted to start something.

yes, i just wanted to start a fight on crackberry..

how did I not care about the truth I posted the stupid scanned document, all I posted is information that might not be so obvious. I'm sorry you remembered something that was posted from years ago. and I didn't search bc if I just received something in the mail, so will other people. And nothing was posted recently..

But I did find some useful information for you

Google
    09-19-09 12:03 AM
    You obviously didn't come for information. The original laws pertaining to CPNI were passed in 1996. Everytime someone with a conspiracy mindset gets the annual notices, they come here & freak out or start trouble.

09-19-09 12:24 AM
    Oh. One other thing. Your Google search is blank. You really don't know how those search engines work, do you?

09-19-09 12:27 AM
    You obviously didn't come for information. The original laws pertaining to CPNI were passed in 1996. Everytime someone with a conspiracy mindset gets the annual notices, they come here & freak out or start trouble.

if i didnt come for information, then why did i post it in the VZW section
    09-19-09 12:33 AM
    09-02-2009
    03-30-2009
    03-19-2009
    11-04-2007

those are the search results for cpni...telll me how has this been talked about soooo much
    go look at a s2 forum or maybe a storm os forum, maybe you can go spread more of your crap there
    Last edited by peterr22; 09-19-09 at 12:40 AM.
    09-19-09 12:36 AM
    Settle down ladies! Don't make me bring about the mod stick, lets just agree to disagree and shake like gentlemen. . Thanks guys.

09-19-09 12:50 AM
    Settle down ladies! Don't make me bring about the mod stick, lets just agree to disagree and shake like gentlemen. . Thanks guys.

keep that thing concealed...PLEASE

but seriously, sorry..thought i was sharing information that some people would find useful and/or have more information on, didn't realize it would turn into another "not again' thread
    09-19-09 01:02 AM
    I received that OPT-out letter a couple of weeks ago. If verizon has been sending these out in the past, I do not recall receiving one. And if I did, I wish they would not keep sending them out - I opted out and I want to stay opted-OUT. Yes, of course, they want me to forget it on the 12th notice and accidently opt-in.

Since it is my information (at least, I hope so), the system should be I'm out and I can opt-in. But lobbying efforts don't abide by that type of result.
    09-19-09 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD