Hello, I know it was a possibility in the past to activate a BB with the data plan and then cancel it 24 or so hours later. Is this still a possibility? My friend is interested in getting the VZW Curve, but has no need/interest in the data plan. Would it be possible to activate a new curve and cancel the data at a later date?

Thanks!
    11-19-08 11:05 PM
    Hello, I know it was a possibility in the past to activate a BB with the data plan and then cancel it 24 or so hours later. Is this still a possibility? My friend is interested in getting the VZW Curve, but has no need/interest in the data plan. Would it be possible to activate a new curve and cancel the data at a later date?

Thanks!
    No, VZW requires a data plan on a blackberry
    11-19-08 11:26 PM
    No, VZW requires a data plan on a blackberry

JD is correct, Verizon does not give you an option, data is a must.
    11-20-08 08:32 AM
    You cannot cancel it either

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 12:29 PM
    There is a ridiculously long thread about this if you search. You have to have it on your account as long as you have a berry.
    11-20-08 10:02 PM
    If you can't afford the Data plan, then you shouldn't get BB.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    11-22-08 02:13 AM
    If you can't afford the Data plan, then you shouldn't get BB.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    I soooo hate that statement. I love my Curve and wouldn't trade it for any other device (except perhaps the Javelin or next generation of Curve) and I do NOT have a data plan. There are features available on a BB that are simply not there on other devices and the fact that I do not regularly use those features that require a data plan does NOT make the device any less useful to me.

Just my $0.02!

Edit: Purcell.... tell your friend to go with AT&T who doesn't require a Data Plan and does offer PayPerUse Media Net for those rare occasions when he need the internet or GPS Mapping. Also, the GPS is unlocked and free on AT&T with software like Google Maps.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 11-22-08 at 02:35 AM.
    11-22-08 02:31 AM
    Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I did not realize that there was already a thread discussing this matter; I should have searched further before posting.

I was just wondering because I know that in the past one was able to activate a BB on VZW with a data plan and then cancel it 24 or so hours later. I had done it myself back in the day when I had my 7250 in high school. Maybe they really have done away with that loophole, I wasn't sure.

And the issue for her is not the cost of the data plan, she simply has no real need for it at this point. She is interested in the added functionality of the BB; PIM and so forth, as barbwyr mentioned.
    11-23-08 05:56 PM

Edit: Purcell.... tell your friend to go with AT&T who doesn't require a Data Plan and does offer PayPerUse Media Net for those rare occasions when he need the internet or GPS Mapping. Also, the GPS is unlocked and free on AT&T with software like Google Maps.
    then you might drop calls, deal with crappy CS, have no service where you should have perfect service according to their "coverage maps" which are crap && who really uses GPS on a daily basis anyways...isn't that what we leave to tom tom?

It's just VZW's policy. If your friend doesn't require a data plan and wants a BB, then they will have to look into other options with different carriers. But IMHO VZW has the best network.

EDIT:: i did use GPS on my iPhone since there were amazing app's that would search restaurants and tings around you....but the berry's have nothing that compare to that so i dont see the point.
    Last edited by ShortStop51001; 11-23-08 at 06:57 PM.
    11-23-08 06:54 PM
    then you might drop calls, deal with crappy CS, have no service where you should have perfect service according to their "coverage maps" which are crap && who really uses GPS on a daily basis anyways...isn't that what we leave to tom tom?
    I haven't had a dropped call in years, have never had a bad experience with CS, and have only 1 area where NO ONE gets service in my daily travels, and I know of at least 1 person who uses her GPS almost daily because she travels to new businesses a few times a week.

Just remember we all have opinions about other carriers. I for one know a couple with VZW who are always losing calls, have to go outside their house to use their cell, can't download ringtones and stuff unless they pay for them, and are constantly ******** about the service. Yet my entire family has AT&T and have had no issues with them for the 10 years we've been with them.
    11-24-08 07:48 PM
    i was told in a store today that as of the 14th of November all new pda/smartphones and BBs require a data plan of 29.99
    11-24-08 10:16 PM
    i was told in a store today that as of the 14th of November all new pda/smartphones and BBs require a data plan of 29.99
    Thats all new PDA's released after the 14th. BB requirement has been for quite sometime now.
    11-24-08 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD