ok- back to the drawing board. The red 8330 that I found on EBay were originally Altell and the VZW folks said that it would not be compatable with a current VZW account- does not make sense to me, but oh well.

So- I have a new every 2 discount available.
    So do I want a Curve or Tour? What are the differences? (and there is a Curve 8330 and 8530-- big differences?)
    05-08-10 02:50 PM
    Tour is a global phone with a trackball.

Curve has wifi and trackpad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 02:52 PM
    ok- here is a potentially dumb question.
    why would I want Wifi if I have a data plan and can browse the internet that way?
    05-08-10 02:59 PM
    also:
    Curve 8330 vs 8530- any major difference other than trackball vs trackpad?
    05-08-10 03:02 PM
    i have an 8530 that track pad is a great addition to the blackberry product line it doesn't get dirt under it and very rarely needs to be replaced(if ever) as opposed to the tour and 8330... i use my wifi all the time.. download speeds are faster.. if your in an area with bad 3g coverage u can still surf the web once you have wifi. the tour has better screen resolution and camera... the 8530 is the exact same as the 8330 except the 8330 has a camera flash... the 8530 has media keys, better processor, more memory, wifi, trackpad, and is just plain prettier in my opinion, the tour is a world phone.. you can put it on any GSM network.
    05-08-10 03:09 PM
    oh yeah and with wifi you can talk and surf the web at the same time.. just like GSM phones do without wifi... but only while your connected to wifi..
    05-08-10 04:19 PM
    The Tour has a nicer keyboard in my opinion. The screen is super nicer since it has a higher resolution.

05-08-10 06:15 PM
    Bold......
    05-08-10 11:43 PM
    also:
    Curve 8330 vs 8530- any major difference other than trackball vs trackpad?
    Yesssss ... more memory, faster processor, wifi.
    05-09-10 08:44 AM
    Don't even consider an 8330 when you can use your NE2 and get the 8530 for free. It is 1000X better. 256mb memory vs 96mb. Trackpad vs trackball. Sleeker design. Wifi is awesome. OS 5.0 with memory to spare. Media buttons on top of the phone. The ONLY drawback is the loss of camera flash, which was no big deal to me.

Last edited by rayman21186; 05-09-10 at 08:29 PM.
    05-09-10 08:24 PM
    Like someone said a couple of posts above me. Wait for the new bold that is supposed to be coming out anytime. It will have more memory, wifi, flash (that the curve doesn't have), and a trackpad.

05-09-10 08:44 PM
    I thought about waiting for the new bold or to even check out the new pearl. Any sense of the new-every-two deals on the new phones? Less than $100
    The 8530 is $29 right now but I am willing to wait and pay a little more but not a LOT more...
    (do tall give out life advice? You've been so helpful!)

05-09-10 09:14 PM
    It all depends on what you need. Think of the 9650 as the big brother to the 8530. If you can afford it I'd wait until the 9650 comes out, more memory, wifi, trackpad and will be upgraded to OS6 when it comes out.

My friend just picked up an 8530 and she loves it. She doesn't care about OS6. Just wanted a good stable messaging/email device. The new Pearl looks pretty slick too.

Personally I'll be getting the 9650 when it comes out and paying full price for it. Normally I stay with a device for a year or more before upgrading but the trackball in my Tour is starting to stick more and more often.
    05-09-10 10:04 PM
    With your new every 2, the 8530 should be free! Listen to uncle PK THIS is the phone you want.....

https://smartphones.verizonwireless....ts%7C1000:2076
    05-09-10 10:24 PM
    With your new every 2, the 8530 should be free! Listen to uncle PK THIS is the phone you want.....

https://smartphones.verizonwireless....ts%7C1000:2076
    its a very sleek phone, I give it that. But I cant for the life of me understand how this could be the successor to the 8330 and yet, they remove the basic flash and leave the camera at a meesly 2.0 mp! I know they were trying to keep the price low, but this in my opinion is just way too low as far as specs go!
    05-09-10 10:39 PM
    Just wait for the 9650. Give it a month and the price should come down after launch.
    05-10-10 01:17 PM
    I have had a lot of experience with the BB's from selling them. Now that I am just a consumer and no longer a rep I personally like the Curve. I had a lot of issues with the trackball. After 3 Tours and a 4th coming, I decided to go with the 8530 I sold my 4th replacement on ebay. I didn't even want to deal with it anymore. Photos on the Curve are fine. I don't have issues with the browser even when not using WIFI I am very happy with it and the track pad is amazing. I really like the 8530 a lot. I got it on my internet upgrade so it was free for me. I will have my line upgrade next March and am looking forward to seeing what will be available. But in the meantime, the Curve is great. I would get it again if no ther model was coming out. Call quality is great, browsing is fine no lagging and the OS is much better than it was on the Tour. I was with friends today that I hadn't seen for awhile and they were flipping over it. One had a treo on Sprint and she is ready to dump that for the Curve. I let her play with mine and she is impressed.
    SO.............there is nothing wrong with the Curve nothing at all
    05-10-10 10:48 PM
    I had this exact same issue when I decided that it was time to upgrade. I went with the Tour. I loved LOVED my curve 8330. The camera on the Tour is incredible, you don't really notice how much better until you compare the pics from the Curve to the ones from the Tour. The Tour has serious browser click issues, the forced OS upgrade seems to have made it a lot better, but it still isn't perfect.

Things work a little differently on the Tour.
    If you used shortcut keys (turn the dial from home screen off) the R no longer pulls up the alarm clock, you have to go looking for it.

Also, you can't use * and the green call button to unlock the phone. You have to unlock it with the lock button on the top, this pisses me off since my 2 yo can unlock my phone now, idk what they were thinking when they made this. You can use the * + green call key to unlock IF you have it password protected (I heard this some where on the 9630 forum, but I didn't check, so don't hold me to that)

The screen is bigger and has a much better picture. You can use themes for the 9630 OR a 9700 on the Tour, so there is more to choose from.

The charging port is in an odd place that makes it hard to type while it is plugged in. The phone just feels nicer than Curve did, I have no idea how it compares in weight, but the design and shape of it is just nicer to me. Oh, and the battery cover comes off a different way than on the Curve, so it may take a second to figure out just because it is different.

I've had it for a month, and that is all I can remember for now.
    05-12-10 08:52 AM
    My co-worker just upgraded from an 8330 to a Tour and he took the same picture with both phones. The difference was nothing short of amazing! The Storm 2 has the same (as the Tour) camera also. It's quite good.
    05-12-10 09:28 AM
    Wait for the Bold 9650!

05-12-10 02:00 PM
    She's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-12-10 02:37 PM
    if your 2 year old can press a button on the top, then they would press and hold any button.....you should probably not let your 2 year old near your phone, and if you are concerned about it being unlocked in general, why not put a password on it?

But yes, wifi allows for you to use the phone and internet, and your data speeds are most likely going to be faster.
    05-13-10 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD