Ok, so I've got the Curve 8330 and carrier is Verizon. I know it's a known issue that Verizon "disables" the GPS feature so you cannot install 3rd party GPS applications. I emailed Verizon to complain that I wanted to install a GPS tracking application for hiking trails but could not do it because the makers of the application did not support Verizon because of the GPS disabling.

Verizon actually called me today and said that I can call Blackberry and they will show me how to "unlock" the GPS feature so I can install a 3rd party GPS application.

Has anyone else heard of this or had any experience with it?

Thanks,
    03-31-09 07:02 PM
    Very interesting!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 07:04 PM
    Ok, so I've got the Curve 8330 and carrier is Verizon. I know it's a known issue that Verizon "disables" the GPS feature so you cannot install 3rd party GPS applications. I emailed Verizon to complain that I wanted to install a GPS tracking application for hiking trails but could not do it because the makers of the application did not support Verizon because of the GPS disabling.

Verizon actually called me today and said that I can call Blackberry and they will show me how to "unlock" the GPS feature so I can install a 3rd party GPS application.

Has anyone else heard of this or had any experience with it?

Thanks,
    I haven't heard anything about that but if you succeed and get your GPS unlocked I'd like to be the first to know.
    03-31-09 07:05 PM
    I haven't heard anything about that but if you succeed and get your GPS unlocked I'd like to be the first to know.
    And I would like to be the second.
    03-31-09 07:08 PM
    I'm third!
    03-31-09 07:22 PM
    Oh boy, I can see I won't be getting any help here! LOL.
    03-31-09 07:30 PM
    Ok so when I did a search in the technical support section of the Blackberry website, it says to contact my service provider for GPS issues. Otherwise I have to pay to even talk to Blackberry about a technical issue. F-That!!! Sorry guys.
    03-31-09 07:32 PM
    Ok so when I did a search in the technical support section of the Blackberry website, it says to contact my service provider for GPS issues. Otherwise I have to pay to even talk to Blackberry about a technical issue. F-That!!! Sorry guys.
    I can't say I blame you there. Maybe one of guys/girls that works for BlackBerry will chime in and let us know something.

However, I would be will to bet that the CS at Verizon didn't know what they were talking about.
    03-31-09 07:52 PM
    I would like to know at what level, someone from Verizon called you? Just a store rep? The corporate level? Higher yet?
    03-31-09 08:15 PM
    If you want to try to fix your gps for free, you can try my fix listed under GPS & Mapping. People have had varying success.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/list...ograms-195034/
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 03-31-09 at 08:34 PM.
    03-31-09 08:20 PM
    I have the Verizon Curve and use Google Maps. It works completely fine for me. All I did (that I could recall) is install it. I have used it numerous times, and had it give me directions to places, and find near by restraunts with reviews, menus, etc.. Its great!
    Last edited by AshlynLovesHerBB; 03-31-09 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling
    03-31-09 09:08 PM
    I have the Verizon Curve and use Google Maps. It works completely fine for me. All I did (that I could recall) is install it. I have used it numerous times, and had it give me directions to places, and find near by restraunts with reviews, menus, etc.. Its great!
    same here, has saved me a few times. Its not turn by voice guided directions, but for the most part the phone knows where I am and will tell me how to get places
    03-31-09 09:18 PM
    same here, has saved me a few times. Its not turn by voice guided directions, but for the most part the phone knows where I am and will tell me how to get places
    Glad to know, Im not the only one. And no, it isn't voice- but it simply tells you like mapquest would. Just scroll down reading the text, no biggie. Great app.
    03-31-09 09:24 PM
    GPS works pretty good on the Storm.
    03-31-09 09:25 PM
    Use VZ Navigator. It's better anyway.
    03-31-09 10:45 PM
    Use VZ Navigator. It's better anyway.
    Too expensive!
    03-31-09 10:59 PM
    Too expensive!
    Don't tell me... you own a japanese car?
    03-31-09 11:00 PM
    Don't tell me... you own a japanese car?
    Korean I believe.
    03-31-09 11:02 PM
    i say just use a gps puck it works great and also bbmaps works ok on my 8330
    03-31-09 11:04 PM
    Korean I believe.
    Not much difference. Still paying less for a lesser product. I'm cheap as all ****, and still I use my VZ Nav religiously.
    03-31-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD