12-11-08 09:14 PM
43 12
tools
    Well I bought the curve and I love it! I have had it for 3 days and I'm getting use to it. I think I have it down. I tried the storm again and I don't like it at all. I'm very satisfied with my 8330. One question though, how do I set a timer on the front screen while I am on the phone (if I can) and also my autocorrect doesn't seem to do anything but add capitals and ''s. Can this do much for miss spelled words? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 06:40 PM
    I'm new to BlackBerry and was debating over the Curve vs Storm. Ultimately I went with the Curve 8330.

I went to 2-3 Verizon stores and all the Storms were just unusable (laggy, frozen screens, etc.). That scared me. It looks amazing but wanted a solid, dependable phone. I bought the Curve retail since I don't quality for a discount until January of '10 - at that point I might get the new (if any) Storm. Or the newest Curve or Bold.

But either way, I'm loving BlackBerry.
    12-08-08 09:13 PM
    Well I bought the curve and I love it! I have had it for 3 days and I'm getting use to it. I think I have it down. I tried the storm again and I don't like it at all. I'm very satisfied with my 8330. One question though, how do I set a timer on the front screen while I am on the phone (if I can) and also my autocorrect doesn't seem to do anything but add capitals and ''s. Can this do much for miss spelled words? Thanks.

Others can correct me if I'm worn but I believe the call timer is theme controlled - meaning it only shows on certain themes. And it only shows while the call is active (meaning on the calling screen - not actually the home/front screen)

Autocorrect does not have that many misspellings to correct. There is spell check. You can check out these under the options section on your phone. And you can add things to autocorrect you commonly mistype if you really need it.
    12-08-08 11:34 PM
    Maybe you could wait until Javelin come out! Just a thought! I have the Curve but I have been to the store to check out the Storm but I love my Curve!

12-08-08 11:44 PM
    Yes I will kick myself if the javelin comes out soon.

12-09-08 09:38 AM
    FWIW, I have owned blackberry devices for years. I switched from my 8130 to a Storm and just had numerous problems. OS was not stable even after upgrading to .75. I would suggest trying it out though. Had a lot of nice features but I have simply figured out that I prefer the keyboard to the touch screen and I do a fair amount of e-mailing. I would prefer to hold off for an 8900 version of the curve or a bold if its on the way. May look a the current Curve. For now...back to my 8130 and happy.
    12-10-08 05:45 PM
    STORM! (should have been called the thunder)
    12-10-08 05:50 PM
    I've had an 8830 for months now and gave it up for the Storm. Big mistake on my part; there was just no way I could get used to the key board. It slowed me down and was so frustrating to me but I still kept trying. As days went by, the phone started to freak out; I wasn't able to get e-mail, it would reboot on it's own and sometime not turn off. It reminded me of my old Treo. I had a Verizon rep on the phone beg me to give it more of a chance and in the store, the same deal. Seems like people are really into this device-even though the rep could not type on it either. I even had some iphone friends check it out-the keyboard on that phone is a little more spaced out then on the Storm-not as hard to type on it. Anyway, as a huge Blackberry fan, I'm conditioned to believe, they only put out good devices.

Needless to say, my frustration has gotten the best of me; Fedex just came tonight to pick up my Storm but I got so used to the camera; my new Curve should be here tomorrow. I know a few people who have it and love it.

Sounds funny but I'm a bit melancholy the Storm did not work out-I love the touch screen when scrolling but that was about it. I really wanted to keep it-I tried

Good luck on whatever you choose.
    12-10-08 07:19 PM
    I honestly really like the storm after the .75 sofeware update, made a huge difference. and i hear that the .76 update thats leaked is even better. Can't wait. I'ld get the storm, it's very eye candy, and will only get better with time like wine.
    12-10-08 07:24 PM
    I have a Storm and it rocks. SOOOOOO much better than my 8830. Don't believe all the BS. Most of the people that returned them had them for less than a couple of days.
    Ditto! I love my Storm- better than my 8830.
    12-10-08 07:26 PM
    I think the storm is pretty neat but its just not for me. I have used it a few times now and I just like the physical keyboard and smaller size better.

12-10-08 08:44 PM
    Storm FTW, I was skeptical of the click screen, but now I can't see myself using any other touchscreen phone without some kind of feedback, my iphone fanatic friend and I switched for a few minutes and I almost left permanent thumb prints on his screen....
    12-10-08 08:56 PM
    I would say go for the curve....If you dont like the dares keyboard or the iphones keyboard you wouldnt like the storms....
    The curve is very easy to type on.....
    12-11-08 07:49 AM
    I vote Curve. I got the Storm and if I don't return it tomorrow for a new Curve (gave my old one away- I know, I know) I will be ordering my 3rd Storm ~ at this point I don't know if it is worth it ~ I just want a working phone.
    12-11-08 12:12 PM
    I also vote for the curve

12-11-08 12:48 PM
    I was not impressed with the Storm. Typing on the click screen slows down you typing speed. Typing on the physical keyboard of a curve is so much fast and actually more enjoyable. I would go with the Curve to tell you the truth.
    12-11-08 12:57 PM
    Curve, trust me...........
    12-11-08 01:11 PM
    I have a Storm and love it. But every day I think at least 5 times if I should return it for a curve; because of the current software peculiarities...

I can type pretty damn fast on my Storm. You just have to get used to it. Pull your thumbs all the way off the screen. But I can't go as fast as I can on a real keyboard. And I'm worried that my clickable screen will wear over time and lose it's excursion...

And no one seams to point out the single biggest issue I have with the virtual keyboard... When the QWERTY keyboard is up and in use, the usable/visible space to type in drops to about 4 lines. That's right, I said 4 lines! And if you do make a typo (much higher chance on Storm then on Curve) it takes longer to get to it to correct it. Since your big finger can't hit exactly where the typo is, you have to get as close as you can and then gently touch the screen to make the curser move to exactly where you want it.

If Verizon had a Bold I would change in a second.

Oh, and since I just typed a text message while I was typing this on my desktop. Let's not forget the little 'keyboard dissapearing trick' it does right in the middle of typing something - which was supposed to have been eliminated with the .75 upgrade.

I love the Storm and it has INCREDIBLE potential. The click screen should NOT be dismissed or compared to the iPhone or Dare. It is the real deal! I would not be surprised if many LCD monitors start using this technology to replace the mouse - it's that cutting edge.

If you need a reliable phone and/or E-mail a lot, get the Curve and don't look back for a year or so. I am going tomorrow to the Verizon store to play with the Curve and see if it does everything I need it to. I REALLy don't want to get rid of my Storm; but it may force me to.

By the way, how good is Opera web browsing? Is it essentially a desktop browser or is it still the baby internet? And isn't the curve slow as **** with internet surfing without 3G???
    12-11-08 09:14 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD