12-11-08 10:14 PM
43 12
tools
    So Im thinking about buying a BB. I have verizon and dont know if I want the Storm or the Curve. I dont like the Iphone keyboard. I also dont like the Lg dares keyboard so my impression of touchscreens is not the greatest. I have not gotten to try a storm yet. do you guys think it has a good keyboard for a touchscreen? What other advantages besides a better camera and big screen does the storm have over the curve? Thanks.
    12-01-08 05:35 PM
    I think the keypad is better than others. I didn't like the iphone's keypad. The storm is better, but I still wasn't crazy for it.
    12-01-08 05:43 PM
    There are SOOO many posts here from people who had the stoprm for a few days and returned it for the Curve.

0the verdict right now generally is that the storm is a few months from being ready for prime time while the Curve HAS BEEN rockin prime time for months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 05:54 PM
    I would suggest going for the curve. The Storm is not ready for prime time. You already are predisposed to a keyboard.
    I currently use the curve for personal and BB 8800 WE for business.

12-01-08 06:00 PM
    i advise going for the Curve. The Storm needs some OS updates and some people are having hardware issues.

The Curve is a great phone with HTML Email, Doc to Go, great keyboard, stable OS!

It's also less expensive. You can always upgrade to the Storm in a year or two when the bugs are worked out and it's less expensive.

12-01-08 06:04 PM
    I dont care about price that much. I am leaning more towards the curve and have been from the start. I know I like it but I dont want to miss out if the storm is a winner. One think i cant stand though is lag... My dumb phone freezes up for a second or two all the time when texting. I hate it. I hate not being able to type fast.
    12-01-08 06:13 PM
    The Curve is a proven winner all around. Most people who had a Curve and adopted the Storm are looking for the latest and greatest from Blackberry. The touch screen I like as a feature. If you are not sure about it them go with the Curve.

The Storm will eventually be a very solid BB. Just going to take a few software updates and so 3rd party apps. Same thing that made the Curve what it is today.

Good luck on your choice. Happy Blackberry'ing to you.
    12-01-08 06:20 PM
    I was wondering the same thing, especially after seeing the problems people reported. I swung by a Verizon Wireless store and tried out the Storms and Curves they had on display. They must have had two good units because I really, really liked the functionality of the Storms, actually preferred their keyboards. I'm going to give it a try, and I can always return the Storm for a Curve if it turns out my initial impressions were wrong.
    12-01-08 06:22 PM
    Yes I may get the storm and try it for a couple weeks since I get 30 days to make my mind and if I dont like it go to the curve.
    12-01-08 06:51 PM
    If you didnt like the iphone keypad...im sure your not gonna like the storm keypad... go with the curve~~ its a great phone!
    12-01-08 08:25 PM
    I have a Storm and it rocks. SOOOOOO much better than my 8830. Don't believe all the BS. Most of the people that returned them had them for less than a couple of days.
    12-01-08 08:33 PM
    Well I will certianly try the storm. I hope I enjoy it more due to the fact that the screen is larger and it has a better camera. But I am a fan of pyhsical keyboards. Thanks for the help and anymore I would greatly appreciate. If I could get the verizon version of the 8900 I would get it and be done....
    12-01-08 08:47 PM
    Another thing, Is navigation free on the Storm? or is it the redic 9.99?
    12-01-08 08:48 PM
    I would settle on the curve for now simply because the storm has some tweaking to do.
    12-01-08 08:55 PM
    I would love to settle for now but I dont want to go two years with a phone if I think im upgrading soon. I cant afford to buy a retail price phone. I have to use my NE2
    12-01-08 08:58 PM
    the VZ Nav is not free on Verizon. Not sure on other options but I have read that the GPS is locked on it so it reads the closest cell tower or something. Not your precise location. But don't take my word for it. Lots of threads on this topic out there.
    12-01-08 09:07 PM
    i have the Curve right now from sprint and just went out and ordered my storm, from verizon of course, but i will be keeping my curve in service for the 30days just in case im not happy with the storm!
    12-01-08 09:11 PM
    i guess i'm in the minority - that is, as iffy as some things are with my storm (OS / software locking up, freezing, etc), it's a more reliable phone than my 3 curves ever were. i was one of those random unluckies who unpredictably & inexplicably couldn't hear random callers or folks I called on my curve(s) - happened several times a week, which wasn't good for building rapport with clients. i really liked the curve otherwise, but went thru 3 units (2 presumably new, 1 refurb), all with the same problem. vzw let me trade my last curve for the storm at no charge, given my problems.

so, tho i'm not wild about the storm in some respects, my phone is at least (more) reliable, now that i've learned not to literally hold the phone against my ear & thus prevent my earrings from accidentally activating unwanted programs during calls. plus, i definitely prefer the storm's browser, and have become frighteningly addicted to word mole. definitely took me several days to be able to type a coherent email without wanting to hurl the thing, but it's not so bad now. probably helped that i broke most of my girly nails, too.

hth
    NIK
    12-02-08 06:24 PM
    So today a got to try the storm for a couple min. A person I know has one and I asked to play around with it. I was in a hurry so I didnt really do anything besides attempt to type. I am pretty sure he has .65 and has not updated to .75. He is not happy at all with it. I couldnt type anything.... I mean if I tried to go at a decent speed my messages came out like mieoamceoiaf. I want to try a different storm with the update but so far I am not impressed what so ever. I can type MUCH faster on my ipod touch even on the small qwerty keyboard. I rarely use my ipod either.
    12-02-08 07:45 PM
    Typing on the Storm really isn't great at all. The best part about the Storm I've decided is the click in screen but even that has issues. The extra method of input is great for everything but typing. Other then that... meh.

Other phones do what it does better for the most part.

I have a Curve question... how is the web browsing on the phone?
    12-02-08 08:49 PM

I have a Curve question... how is the web browsing on the phone?
    The Storm definitely does websurfing better. But just get Opera on it and you're fine. I've had a Curve on AT&T and hate the network and will be getting a Curve on Verizon. The standard browser is terrible on so many levels.
    12-02-08 10:22 PM
    Try the Storm; you get 30 days to decide.
    If you're not willing to "test drive" it and are only going to take the word or opinion of forum members, etc. than you may want to take a minute and go to Cnet, PCMagazine or phonescoop web sites and read their reviews. Unfortunately the overall consensus is that the Storm is not ready (not an opinion just relaying their findings so calm down "Storm" troopers). And as far as opinions here; anyone that appears to not like the Storm will typically get slammed for "bashing" which I think is hilarious if you consider the Freudian Psychology at play...in other words, they are screaming I am really, really insecure and need everyone to like what I like. It really is entertaining to browse the posts........
    Seriously though; try the Storm, decide for yourself. I did and found that it is not for me. I find my Curve to be better in every regard and I am truly happy with it. But that does not mean that I will not entertain anything new that RIM introduces.......hence a true BB Crackalaca addict at heart.
    Good luck with your choice.
    BBSeattle
    12-03-08 01:08 PM
    Stopped in a local Verizon store today to check out the Storm and was told by a rep that every Storm ordered after today will ship with new software. My new every two is up tomorrow and I think I will order a Storm. Rep said all issues with accelerator, lag and rebooting were addressed with the upgraded software.
    12-05-08 05:38 PM
    Seriously though; try the Storm, decide for yourself. I did and found that it is not for me. I find my Curve to be better in every regard and I am truly happy with it. But that does not mean that I will not entertain anything new that RIM introduces.......hence a true BB Crackalaca addict at heart.
    Good luck with your choice.
    BBSeattle
    I totally agree with this. The Storm is like Dane Cook - you either think he's hilarious or he's not funny at all. I personally don't like either and kept my Curve.

As for every Storm shipping with updated software, that would seem difficult to achieve at this point. In a few months, sure. But since you are required to have a data plan, I believe the update is already available and some reviewers have liked it more since the update.

It's a shame that they put it out there without the update in the first place. I'm sure that all those problems contributed to many people's opinions.

Good luck with the choice.
    12-06-08 08:22 AM
    I have a curve, and played with my friend's storms. Although it it a cool device, personaly I would stick with my curve. Best phone I ever owned.

12-06-08 08:39 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD