05-11-08 03:51 PM
263 ... 56789 ...
tools
    question about wifi. Being on the verizion network i am a little confused the need for wifi unless people want to avoid a data plan and do there web surfing for free. i have no problems with the speed my 8830 takes to load wb pages with opera mini, do you think it would be even faster with wifi. i have already decided i cant live without the camera and i will be in line to buy when the curve comes out, but i just wanted to know how much wifi will change things?
    03-31-08 10:02 AM
    Two points about wifi:
    1. It's much faster than EVDO. You are correct that they get good speed over EVDO, but faster is always better.
    2. I don't get a cell signal inside my building at work. We do, however, have wifi hotspots all over. Having wifi would let me get email updates all the time.
    3. OK, a third point. If Verizon had anything like T-Mobile's Hotspot@home functionality, I could actually use my phone while at work. What a concept.

I'll grant you that not everybody needs wifi. But geez, it would be nice for them to offer it on at least some of their non-Windows devices. My guess is that the reason they don't is so that people are forced to take the data plan when getting a Treo or Blackberry.
    03-31-08 10:54 AM
    I'll grant you that not everybody needs wifi. But geez, it would be nice for them to offer it on at least some of their non-Windows devices. My guess is that the reason they don't is so that people are forced to take the data plan when getting a Treo or Blackberry.
    i would guess you are right here.
    03-31-08 10:56 AM
    Wifi on a blackberry? Well it is bottle-necked on blackberries, which means that it won't be much faster than EVDO, just as EVDO isn't much faster than EDGE on a blackberry. The only wat the speeds make a big difference is with tethering. So if you are looking for wifi to give you a much faster browsing experience than EVDO, don't count on it, you will surely be disappointed.
    03-31-08 01:20 PM
    I'll admit to not having researched network throughput on the Blackberry. Are there any references as to how their EVDO and/or Wifi is bottlenecked, throttled, or otherwise deprived of bandwidth/latency? I still have the coverage issue here at work, but it would be nice to know what to expect if wifi ever becomes available from Verizon.
    04-01-08 10:58 AM
    Answering my own question, here's the BGR speed test of EDGE vs Wifi. Interesting.
    04-01-08 01:46 PM
    I'm new and can't post a url until I have had 10 posts. But check out Blackberry.com and click on the Blackberry Curve 8330, then Purchasing. It's coming soon to Verizon Wireless and Sprint.
    At least now there's proof IT IS coming..
    Last edited by Busta00764; 04-03-08 at 06:35 AM.
    04-03-08 06:29 AM
    Wish they just give a date!
    04-03-08 07:13 AM
    I'm new and can't post a url until I have had 10 posts. But check out Blackberry.com and click on the Blackberry Curve 8330, then Purchasing. It's coming soon to Verizon Wireless and Sprint.
    At least now there's proof IT IS coming..
    Old news......
    04-03-08 08:26 AM
    Old news......
    I didn't see this posted anywhere on this topic. Just trying to point it out where it has not been done and provide solid proof. I'm sure everyone could do without your lame comments.
    04-03-08 02:02 PM
    I didn't see this posted anywhere on this topic. Just trying to point it out where it has not been done and provide solid proof. I'm sure everyone could do without your lame comments.
    hey... don't take "old news" so personally... clearly you didn't look at the previous page in this thread. (multiple pages per thread)... I understand you're new... I'll cut you some slack.
    04-03-08 06:13 PM
    hey... don't take "old news" so personally... clearly you didn't look at the previous page in this thread. (multiple pages per thread)... I understand you're new... I'll cut you some slack.
    Yeah really calm down champ......

Use the search or read through the threads about the curve. Many replies and links have been talking about this stuff all week...

Don't get to upset, but it's kinda upsets some people including my self who are looking for replies for new info and get this "Old news"....

Thanks for the link but it was already talked and shown.....
    04-03-08 10:57 PM
    Yeah really calm down champ......

Use the search or read through the threads about the curve. Many replies and links have been talking about this stuff all week...

Don't get to upset, but it's kinda upsets some people including my self who are looking for replies for new info and get this "Old news"....

Thanks for the link but it was already talked and shown.....
    ..No doubt
    04-03-08 11:59 PM
    This might be old news, but has anyone seen the press release on verizon's website announcing the Curve? It says it will be for sale in May but no date given. Is it reliable news if they announced it in a press release?
    04-04-08 11:07 AM
    This might be old news, but has anyone seen the press release on verizon's website announcing the Curve? It says it will be for sale in May but no date given. Is it reliable news if they announced it in a press release?
    Yes... this is reliable information.

Verizon Wireless Introduces The BlackBerry Curve Smartphone

You are correct that there is still no specific date announced.
    04-04-08 11:17 AM
    I just spoke with a Verizon Rep. I asked about the May release, but she wouldn't confirm or deny it. She went on to say that they weren't allowed to commit to a date, in case it comes out late.

Not that this matters for me anyway, I have to wait until November 2nd to upgrade.....
    04-06-08 02:20 PM
    Our Verizon Rep for my Co. came in the other day & she had one with her. Release date is early May!
    04-06-08 09:32 PM
    I spoke to a Verizon rep also he told me May but didn't have an exact date.
    04-06-08 09:33 PM
    I spoke to a local Verizon Corp Rep. He is saying around May 5th
    04-06-08 09:36 PM
    I spoke to a local Verizon Corp Rep. He is saying around May 5th
    Do you think these Reps are just plum tired of answering the same question over and over again (when will they release the Curve)
    04-06-08 11:00 PM
    Was down my local Verizon store tonight to pick up a new BT headset and while ringing up, I asked the man at the counter(sales rep) hey you going to get the curve when it comes out?

He said yeah I may try it for a while, he said here is what it will kinda look like. He reaches into the drawer and pull out a plastic fake dummy phone. It was the Curve. With a fake looking screen played with the button and handled it a bit, not much to do with a dummy phone, just show and tell I guess...

Now my question is how soon do these places get dummy phones before pre release is near... Yeah it's a bit of anticipation from me. So I asked. He said hold on let me check. Went to the back room and asked. came back out a fews minutes later....... And said it will be out in a few weeks. I said cool and thanks for letting me check it out for what it is worth... Plastic and no power, fake looking screen, etc...

Well can't wait to see it then with power and in my hands......
    04-08-08 12:21 AM
    i went to vzw store here on wall street, and walked to the counter and asked the gentleman what date he expected to have the curve .. he shrugged his shoulders!

I was about to rip into him about what the heck kind of customer service is that, blah blah blah, but decided not to.

so i got nothin
    04-11-08 12:14 PM
    Hi! This is my first post. I will be getting Verizon's version of the curve. I just had a question. Does it seem odd that there are no videos or unboxings of any kind for a phone that is supposed to be released within days? Usually I can find a video before the release of a phone. Don't they usually send test models out? I dunno i am just sick of waiting!
    04-11-08 11:24 PM
    this guy at verizon told me not untill late summer i was like are u serious lol
    04-11-08 11:28 PM
    Hi! This is my first post. I will be getting Verizon's version of the curve. I just had a question. Does it seem odd that there are no videos or unboxings of any kind for a phone that is supposed to be released within days? Usually I can find a video before the release of a phone. Don't they usually send test models out? I dunno i am just sick of waiting!
    Hey... this video was uploaded back on 4/1. But I had seen it earlier than that.

Also... you might want to check out this thread on HoFo. Skim through all of it. It will likely answer any questions about the 8330 that you might have. There's a lot of us yelling at each other and making fun of others on it but there is some really good information too.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - The Official Blackberry 8330 "Curve" Pre-Release Thread
    04-12-08 01:06 AM
263 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD