I signed up for Verizon & a Curve on Jan 6 2009. Back then the news broke out that the Blackberry "Niagara" (now the 9630/Tour) was going to come out in May 2009. Obviously, not happening until July supposedly.

However, I just called VZW Customer service and they stated that I won't be able to upgrade until Nov 6 2009? I asked her if I could upgrade to the Tour when it comes out and she stated that I would need a "Supervisor Approval."

Is this true?
    05-08-09 11:23 AM
    I signed up for Verizon & a Curve on Jan 6 2009. Back then the news broke out that the Blackberry "Niagara" (now the 9630/Tour) was going to come out in May 2009. Obviously, not happening until July supposedly.

However, I just called VZW Customer service and they stated that I won't be able to upgrade until Nov 6 2009? I asked her if I could upgrade to the Tour when it comes out and she stated that I would need a "Supervisor Approval."

Is this true?
    Probably so. November sounds like an early 1 year upgrade.
    05-08-09 11:26 AM
    Yes, usually the first upgrade oppertunity would be approx 12 months into a current contract.
    05-08-09 11:27 AM
    Ahhhh well that's a bummer. I knew a "Bold" like phone was coming out for Verizon from RIM but didn't know I had to wait until Nov or a full year to do the upgrade. Oh well, I'll try my luck persuading the Supervisor to let me upgrade :-)

Thanks for the replies!
    05-08-09 11:32 AM
    You can upgrade at any time. You just won't receive any promo discounts or subsidies. In other words, you will pay full price.

Your current phone subsidy has not been paid off, so you can't expect another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 12:16 PM
    I highly doubt they will let you upgrade at launch with discount pricing. Gonna have to pay full retail or keep an eye on Craigslist after launch. Tou can always sell your Curve to ease the price you'll have to pay. I tried several times to get discounted pricing even saying I would add another 2 years to my contract.

Good Luck!
    05-08-09 01:19 PM
    You can upgrade at any time. You just won't receive any promo discounts or subsidies. In other words, you will pay full price.

Your current phone subsidy has not been paid off, so you can't expect another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't know of any supervisor that would approve of it. Like Twins said, your current phone is subsidized, and you haven't gotten to the point where it's paid off on Verizon's side. You'll have to wait until Nov when you can use your annual upgrade. Sorry bud.

It would be difficult in normal circumstances to get a sup to allow you to upgrade months early. But this is not normal since the device will be brand new. It will be at it's launch when you want to upgrade. I suggest paying full-retail or sell your curve and pick it up at full-retail. Good luck.
    05-08-09 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD