Hi there,

I just got a new Blackberry Curve 8530. In mid-September, I will be moving to the UK for a semester of school there. I was wondering if BBM will work over there? I understand that there will be roaming data charges, so then will I be able to unlock the phone & purchase an international SIM card over there or will that not be possible since its a Curve?

Thank you for your help,
    Paige
    08-28-10 12:24 AM
    Not possible. The Curve does not have a SIM card therefore will not work in any GSM county.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 12:51 AM
    The Curve 8530 does have gsm....

You would have to find a carrier in the UK that offers Blackberry service on prepaid accounts is all. Might be tough.

08-28-10 03:50 AM

You would have to find a carrier in the UK that offers Blackberry service on prepaid accounts is all. Might be tough.
    .50)
    Actualy it's easy. Both O2 and Orange offer pre-paid BlackBerry plans and they both work extremely well.

Orange is the cheapest up front cost. It's pre-pad (called Pay As Yo Go - PAYG, in the UK) and they charge you a flat 5 (~$7.50) per month for BIS and fair use internet.

O2 offers a 20 (~$30.00) monthly deal which includes BIS, fair use internet, 600 minutes a month, unlimited SMS and free calls to all landlines. I use this option.

Neither of the above deals involves a phone. It's just cash for services. I wish the US would do the same.

All these are on GSM since there are few CDMA carriers in the UK.
    08-28-10 04:26 AM

No it doesn't. The 8520 does.

Phone Scoop

BlackBerry - Curve 8530 Specs - View BlackBerry Curve 8530 Specifications

Last edited by supermario28; 08-28-10 at 11:15 AM.
    08-28-10 10:49 AM
    supermario is right...8530 is not a gsm phone...its strictly just CDMA...don't give wrong information know it all (vatothe0)
    08-28-10 01:42 PM

Shockingly misinformed.
    08-28-10 05:19 PM
    Bbm over WiFi?

08-28-10 10:18 PM
    Actualy it's easy. Both O2 and Orange offer pre-paid BlackBerry plans and they both work extremely well.

Orange is the cheapest up front cost. It's pre-pad (called Pay As Yo Go - PAYG, in the UK) and they charge you a flat 5 (~$7.50) per month for BIS and fair use internet.

O2 offers a 20 (~$30.00) monthly deal which includes BIS, fair use internet, 600 minutes a month, unlimited SMS and free calls to all landlines. I use this option.

Neither of the above deals involves a phone. It's just cash for services. I wish the US would do the same.

All these are on GSM since there are few CDMA carriers in the UK.
    i hope the op doesn't mind my thread jack.

i'm moving to london in 2 weeks. i unlocked my phone and i'm starting to look at pay as you go plans. do i need a special plan to work my berry on? or can i just use any old plan? i really just want to be able to use my bbm - that's my main concern.
    08-29-10 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD