Got a Storm and live on Capitol Hill (specifically, in NE about 2 blocks from Union Station). Got up this AM to absolutely no bars of Verizon coverage. This has not happened before & I've been a Verizon customer for years. I do have 1XEV so emails are coming in.

I'm thinking maybe this is something inauguration prep related? Just a guess.

Anyone else in this area having problems this AM?

(Yes, I've pulled battery, restarted, etc. per all the usual 'fixes.')
    01-14-09 07:24 AM
    Got a Storm and live on Capitol Hill (specifically, in NE about 2 blocks from Union Station). Got up this AM to absolutely no bars of Verizon coverage. This has not happened before & I've been a Verizon customer for years. I do have 1XEV so emails are coming in.

I'm thinking maybe this is something inauguration prep related? Just a guess.

Anyone else in this area having problems this AM?

(Yes, I've pulled battery, restarted, etc. per all the usual 'fixes.')
    I vaguely recall hearing something about no cell service for the inauguration, they want people to text or email. I think you moght be right with it being some kind of inauguration prep. I would love to be in DC for the inauguration but it seems like it is going to be such a crazy time!
    01-14-09 07:37 AM
    I vaguely recall hearing something about no cell service for the inauguration, they want people to text or email. I think you moght be right with it being some kind of inauguration prep. I would love to be in DC for the inauguration but it seems like it is going to be such a crazy time!
    Yes, true about the warnings for Inauguration Day itself. But that's predicted 'cause of the heavy load of security, first responders, spectators, gawkers, etc.

I noticed a few temporary cell towers (at least I think that's what they are) at Constitution & Louisiana Ave. intersection (across from Charlie Palmer Steaks). I assume there are more. I also assume those are dedicated for USSS use, etc.
    01-14-09 07:52 AM
    Are they testing that area? I've got all bars in Germantown
    01-14-09 08:13 AM
    Are they testing that area? I've got all bars in Germantown
    Would a test pull down the system this much? (Germantown's 27 miles away, so bars there ought not equate to bars here.)
    01-14-09 08:23 AM
    I agree with the test being done and does this affect what has happen - we are not privy to that information. However, one thing is certain VERIZON will have plenty COWs and COLTs to help with the overload of calls/MMS/IM that will be done next week.

COW = Cellular on Wheels

COLT - Cellular on Light Trucks

Think of them as mobile cellular sites and are used primarly at disaster locations or when a special event of such magitude that it is warranted.
    01-14-09 08:57 AM
    Have you tried the infamous *228?
    01-14-09 09:26 AM
    I just came back from one of our offices on 8th St NE, near MD Ave, and had full bars. I was there between 10am and noon. Currently in NE and still have full bars.
    01-14-09 11:36 AM
    I just came back from one of our offices on 8th St NE, near MD Ave, and had full bars. I was there between 10am and noon. Currently in NE and still have full bars.
    My 'no bars' problem seems to have been resolved. I did call Verizon & they opened a trouble ticket for the area. It subsequently started working better. Thanks Verizon.

And as for the suggestion about #228, this is probably a good reminder for those of us around DC over the next week. It may ensure we get better reception on the temporary towers thru the inauguration.
    01-14-09 03:47 PM
    My 'no bars' problem seems to have been resolved. I did call Verizon & they opened a trouble ticket for the area. It subsequently started working better. Thanks Verizon.

And as for the suggestion about #228, this is probably a good reminder for those of us around DC over the next week. It may ensure we get better reception on the temporary towers thru the inauguration.
    Good to know all is well in DC. Enjoy the inauguration.
    01-14-09 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD