I was wondering what people in the NYC area thought of verizon store location customer support!

Personally I love the CS on 611 but the stores in manhattan I find have horrible CS! I even had a 611 rep arguing with a store manager and it got ugly! They (611) stated in my notes that I was going to be granted a different device after my voyager was restarting too frequently. I gave an example to them that I would like something "like" a glide. So when I went in to the store location, they stated that I could only get a glide because that is all the notes stated. I said this was incorrect becasuse the glide was only an option for a switch when I was talking to 611 and that the rep said I could have anything within the same price range, I did not specifically request a glide by any means!

I called 611 again and they corrected them yet, they still didn't want to give me my then BB curve!

After they hashed it all out and demanded each others superiors (LOL), then they (store manager) said I had to pay for the remaining part of a past due debt on my plan upfront before I get a new curve and a new plan. btw these are the same people who said I could just cancel the BB plan later if I wanted to (LIE!!!)

But anyhow, I told the store manager that it did not make any sense that I been with VZW for 8+ years and everytime I owed anything or even bought an accessory, they just billed it to my account! Why would I have to pay anything upfront as if I was a totally new customer??? Called 611 again and had to get them to make a VERY SPECIFIC notation on my account before the store location could honor it! and even the 611 rep was frustrated with the store reps!

VERY HORRIBLE Experience! This was the store on 5th ave btwn 20th and 21st street! And more problems happened with the location on broadway in SOHO!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-29-08 at 03:19 PM.
    11-29-08 01:49 PM
    Stores are not set up for CS.

If you want a special circumstance it needs to be handled over the phone. They shouldn't have sent you into the store.
    11-29-08 02:06 PM
    actually theres a correction. What happened wa that they saw an unpaid balance on my account where the 611 person did not. As for me, I told them that I just pay my bill every month as it comes and as far as that goes, I am up to date (VERY DEGRADING SUBJECT!).

The 611 rep saw it as well and this is where the 2nd argument happened btwn the 611 rep and the store manager! it was ugly and frankly very embarrassing if u ask me.

Unpaid balance or not, I dont understand how swtiching a phone and adding a BB plan requires u to pay anything upfront on a contract that is already in tHe middle... not to mention that I have had an established account with VZW for 8+ years and am a VIP! It was a mess!

then when u add all the other problems that occured on top of that, u would think that VZW had it out for me
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-29-08 at 03:21 PM.
    11-29-08 02:51 PM
    a 2nd ssue I had at that very store a few months earlier...

I wanted to change my pricing plan to unlimited calling. I would of done it with 611, but since my dad was with me and he was upgrading his phone that day, I figured I'd change my plan once I found out about the new 99$ unlimited calling plan.

When the rep changed my plan (and she was new), I specifically told her to set the change up for my billing cycle date. When she was messing with the computer, she accidentally made it happen affective immediately. So with the proration problems, I requested that she fix it because I did clearly request it to be changed on my cycle date and not today. Push comes to shove, it looks like the rep could not since there was a series of price plan changes in the past and I guess that last change reached its limit. So I asked for the manager to possibly fix it since again, this was clearly staff error, not mine!

Bottom line, they could not do ANYTHNG and they just said sorry, we cant help you... very sarcastic too. So I called 611 in the very store and they very nicely and happily said that is not a problem, we will fix it. I dont remember if they reworked the bill or if they were able to override something but in the end, they worked it out for me. Then she also stated, I dont understand why the store rep gave u a hard time about this when it was clearly her fault.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-29-08 at 03:01 PM.
    11-29-08 02:58 PM
    OK, just to let you know, I am a supervisor in a retail location. I feel bad that you had that experience, but I will give you some info so you can make a more informed decision the next time.

The customer service rep should not have referred you to the store. For some reason, people think that the people on the phone are VZW gods. They aren't. They have no more power to make a decision for VZW than the people in the store. Actually, the customer service reps at 611 have less power than supervisors and managers in a store since those 611 reps aren't supervisors or managers. While you may think that they rep was doing you a favor by referring you to a store, they were actually not doing their job properly. They were passing you off onto the retail channel so they could get on to the next call. Offers made by customer service are supposed to be completed by customer service. Offers made by retail employees are supposed to be completed by retail employees. That's why you had the problem you had. I realize you probably don't care about internal VZW policies, but you were put into the situation by the rep at 611 when you should not have been.

So, while your situation is frustrating, you should really be frustrated with the right person...and that would be the phone rep and not the store rep.
    Last edited by JDnLou; 12-01-08 at 10:32 AM.
    11-30-08 11:40 PM
    With any form of customer service. If someone tells you to go somewhere else or call somewhere else to resolve your situation. They have indeed passed you off. This is where it becomes extremely frustrating for a customer. If a customer representative is trying to resolve your problem, they should be the one to resolve the problem in full. Don't ever let anyone pass you off to another channel, because at that point you're getting a fresh set of eyes to potentially see something the first representative may have overlooked.

Companies don't like to give things away for free. A representative in a call center is far less likely to care about the loss of a new phone from inventory for a free replacement than a store manager in a retail location is. Therefore it's more likely that a store location will find why you may not be eligible for what someone else already incorrectly promised you.

I sympathize with your situation, but make sure you don't get passed off next time. Have the one promising you a solution be the one who provides it.
    12-01-08 12:35 AM
    thanks for the views. However I still feel that the store people asking me to pay a debt upfront was wrong, especially since I was a very established customer. I also think that at the time, lying to me about being able to cancel a BB data plan later on was wrong.

Also, the first issue I had when the store rep changed my plan immediately rather than on my billing cycle as I requested was not handled propery. And if there is such a big separation btwn 611 and the actual store, then its a shame that the 611 person was the one that fixed the problem for me while the store just gave me the finger for the problem they themselves created!

So while I do see what you mean about them passing it off to the store (the situation with the glide), I still did not like the way customer service at the stores has been handled generally in the NYC area, or at least at the 5th ave location
    12-01-08 06:25 PM
    thanks for the views. However I still feel that the store people asking me to pay a debt upfront was wrong, especially since I was a very established customer. I also think that at the time, lying to me about being able to cancel a BB data plan later on was wrong.

Also, the first issue I had when the store rep changed my plan immediately rather than on my billing cycle as I requested was not handled propery. And if there is such a big separation btwn 611 and the actual store, then its a shame that the 611 person was the one that fixed the problem for me while the store just gave me the finger for the problem they themselves created!

So while I do see what you mean about them passing it off to the store (the situation with the glide), I still did not like the way customer service at the stores has been handled generally in the NYC area, or at least at the 5th ave location
    I think the whole point in you paying your past due amount is the fact that, if you can pay for a new phone, why can't you pay your bill that was already due? And if it was an even exchange, why give you a new phone, if you're not even paying your bill?

As far as someone making a mistake and changing your plan immediatly rather than your bill cycle could be a number of things... A, if you were on a special calling plan, such as the premium plan, they may have had to change it that day so you could activate your Curve on your calling plan... B, Or it could have been a mistake, which do happen.

Don't get me started with the stores
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 12-02-08 at 06:23 PM.
    12-02-08 06:15 PM
    OK, just to let you know, I am a supervisor in a retail location. I feel bad that you had that experience, but I will give you some info so you can make a more informed decision the next time.

The customer service rep should not have referred you to the store. For some reason, people think that the people on the phone are VZW gods. They aren't. They have no more power to make a decision for VZW than the people in the store. Actually, the customer service reps at 611 have less power than supervisors and managers in a store since those 611 reps aren't supervisors or managers. While you may think that they rep was doing you a favor by referring you to a store, they were actually not doing their job properly. They were passing you off onto the retail channel so they could get on to the next call. Offers made by customer service are supposed to be completed by customer service. Offers made by retail employees are supposed to be completed by retail employees. That's why you had the problem you had. I realize you probably don't care about internal VZW policies, but you were put into the situation by the rep at 611 when you should not have been.

So, while your situation is frustrating, you should really be frustrated with the right person...and that would be the phone rep and not the store rep.
    How come every time I have been to a store over the past 6 years, the store reps always seem to call the phone reps to get changes made? One time my phone broke, and I was 2 weeks away from my new every two, and I went to a store being a long time customer thinking they would allow me to upgrade, since I was so close....Wrong. They said I wasn't eligible to upgrade and I would need to add a line of service if I wanted to get a phone at discounted pricing. Finally after complaining, the store rep called a customer service rep who had my new every two date changed so I could get my upgrade....

But I totally agree with you that the 611 rep should not have sent the OP to the store... If you make someone an offer, you should fulfill the offer yourself.
    12-02-08 06:21 PM
    I think the whole point in you paying your past due amount is the fact that, if you can pay for a new phone, why can't you pay your bill that was already due? And if it was an even exchange, why give you a new phone, if you're not even paying your bill?

As far as someone making a mistake and changing your plan immediatly rather than your bill cycle could be a number of things... A, if you were on a special calling plan, such as the premium plan, they may have had to change it that day so you could activate your Curve on your calling plan... B, Or it could have been a mistake, which do happen.

Don't get me started with the stores
    the past due was actually due to adjustments and 611 already had it in their system as adjusted. So if I would of paid it, it would of just been a credit back to me later on. But your still missing the point. I'm not a customer who missed payment or just doesn't pay his bill. To imply that is to missread everything I've said here. But even after the 611 rep said that in their system there was no past due, the store's system did not. Being ridgid about this is not "working for your customers!"

In the end, its clear that there was no malitious intent to not pay a bill as I pay as it comes and thats all I can do. But regardless, as a long time customer, a VIP, a good record, 611 vouching that its all good, and with the combination of all the other issues I've had with the store that same say and prior, I find that this was a disgrace on the part of the store!

On your second point, how about B, it was a mistake. And mistakes are fine! But when they happen, you fix it! Any good company will fix a mistake if it was clearly their error! I would not be able to make excuses if lets say .... I don't pay my bill .... right? It works both ways!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-03-08 at 08:27 AM.
    12-03-08 07:58 AM
    How come every time I have been to a store over the past 6 years, the store reps always seem to call the phone reps to get changes made?
    I've experienced that same issue as well in my time with verizon. Many many issues I've experienced required a notation from a 611 rep so I'm not quite understanding the manager on here who says the store is completely separate. There has to be some sort of relationship btwn the 2 if they get authorization after 611 makes notes.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-03-08 at 09:23 AM.
    12-03-08 08:23 AM
    611 and the store aren't completely seperate but they do have different tasks. JDnLou was correct when he said the original rep did you an injustice. The store wouldn't just be giving a hard time for no reason. They have policies to follow. The 1st rep couldn't have commented your acct properly. They also didn't inform you ahead of time of your past due. The store CAN NOT swap out your phone or upgrade you with a past due. It doesn't matter why your acct is not up to date.

It is very unprofessionial for both the store employees and 611 employees to battle it out in front of a customer.

It sucks that you are having issues at different locations. You should definetly be using the online survey on the bottom of your receipts, to complain and/or praise the reps that you encounter.
    12-03-08 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD