I'm going to be going on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I called VZW CS and asked if there are any different charges out there, and they are mortifyingly high. Are there any other options for cell usage while out there? I'm afraid using my BB could be dangerous ($$) so I probably won't even take it.

What are some options?
    10-07-08 12:14 PM
    I'm going to be going on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I called VZW CS and asked if there are any different charges out there, and they are mortifyingly high. Are there any other options for cell usage while out there? I'm afraid using my BB could be dangerous ($$) so I probably won't even take it.

What are some options?
    Two of my favorite things, cruising and BBs. I have been on about 9 cruises and I have NEVER needed a phone (althought I did not have a BB then). My only advice is forget your phone and enjoy the cruise (I know not very helpful!)
    10-07-08 01:07 PM
    Indeed, just enjoy the cruise. Leave your BB at the house.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 01:15 PM
    I will need to reach home. I'm leaving my husband and kids (for the cruise, that is...not permanently!) and going with my sister , so I do need to contact my kids periodically.
    10-07-08 01:20 PM
    I'm curious if you use ship to shore telephones whether buying a long distance card in advance would work and save you money. Maybe an inquiry to the cruiseline? Also on-board computers to acess email is another option.

Anyways, Bon Voyage
    10-07-08 01:28 PM
    I will need to reach home. I'm leaving my husband and kids (for the cruise, that is...not permanently!) and going with my sister , so I do need to contact my kids periodically.
    Are your kids very young?
    10-07-08 01:34 PM
    Do you NEED to talk to them---how about texting? The only other option would be to purchase an international phone card and use it while in port. To make a call from your stateroom will be too expensive even with a card. E-mail is also an option but they charge .50 a minute and it is SLOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

What are your ports and what cruise line. Not only am I a BB snob, I am a Royal Carribbean snob too! but a cruise is a cruise!!!!
    10-07-08 01:36 PM
    Are your kids very young?
    No...LOL...they are teenagers. But I've never been away, and they are still my babies. Besides, my husband is incompetent, and he'll be in charge of them alone for the first time ever for a whole week!...they may even STARVE while I'm gone.

What about pre-paid phones? Do those work internationally?

Also, I don't know the cruise line yet. My sister made the reservation. I know it departs out of San Diego on 11/15.
    10-07-08 02:45 PM
    No...LOL...they are teenagers. But I've never been away, and they are still my babies. Besides, my husband is incompetent, and he'll be in charge of them alone for the first time ever for a whole week!...they may even STARVE while I'm gone.

What about pre-paid phones? Do those work internationally?

Also, I don't know the cruise line yet. My sister made the reservation. I know it departs out of San Diego on 11/15.
    First of all, I have never met a husband who is not incompetent, including mine (preparing to get flamed). They will be FINE. Really go enjoy the cruise and dont worry about them. Nothing you can do over the phone while on the cruise will save them for whatever he will do to them---email and text and enjoy the cruise!!!!!
    10-07-08 02:52 PM
    Mistyinca

Hi. I'm a travel agt and what you want to do is buy a phone card - when you're in port use the phone on the dock.
    - DO NOT make a ship to shore call
    -whatever you do --- don't use the stateroom phone

Your cruise w/more than likely go to Acapulco, Manzanillo, Zihuatanejo w/a couple of days @ sea.
    10-07-08 02:58 PM
    really a phone card is the only way to go. cruises are kinda a one way deal. not even really rentaphones work... reason behind this is its actually the boats service, not VZW. VZW doesnt have service about 10 miles off the shore. so when on a boat gotta follow their rules and charges
    10-07-08 04:05 PM
    Thanks. I guess I'll just have to get a phone card.
    10-07-08 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD