06-16-09 03:28 PM
26 12
tools
    why do people say that verizon cripples there phones
    06-07-09 10:57 PM
    As a blackberry user you really wouldn't see it. I think the problem is more in the "regular" phones.
    06-07-09 10:58 PM
    Because they're ignorant

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 11:00 PM
    idk, IMO the crippling is to protect their business investments mostly. it's not to limit function like everyone spins it. the end result might be a limitation of a particular function that would allow piracy of ringtones and games, etc...but in the long run i'd rather have everyone pay for the ringtones and stuff if i have to. and all that money goes back to the carrier. start cutting costs on the provider and the service is what suffers. as long as there's good reason to limit a service or function, cool. just don't say they do it for no reason. that's ignorant.
    06-07-09 11:08 PM
    i know that sprint offers t.v with almost all there phones but sprint needs to to get customers and verizon dosnt plus i heard they took some ram from the touch pro
    06-07-09 11:13 PM
    i know that sprint offers t.v with almost all there phones but sprint needs to to get customers and verizon dosnt plus i heard they took some ram from the touch pro
    i have no idea what you're talking about on either point, sorry man.

are you implying that some phones are "TV capable" and that VZW disables this?
    06-07-09 11:15 PM
    i have no idea what you're talking about on either point, sorry man.

are you implying that some phones are "TV capable" and that VZW disables this?

those are just some of complaints i heard from coworkers and the internet
    06-07-09 11:18 PM
    those are just some of complaints i heard from coworkers and the internet
    well VZW's vcast TV service is an additional service that doesn't come with the hardware from the manufacturer. so VZW would actually have to add additional software to support it. idk if the VCAST TV even works on any smartphones. it's been awhile since i've done the research. so they're not "crippling" anything as far as the TV function, they're just choosing not to add that function to that particuar device. i suppose they use it as a selling point for other phones. but IMO the VCAST TV sucks *** anyway, so why would you want to bog your smartphone down with something that can be utilized via wap with orb or something?
    06-07-09 11:20 PM
    also why dosn't any blackberry have WIFI
    06-07-09 11:24 PM
    they do...the bold has wi-fi

just for an example. there are more than that.
    06-07-09 11:26 PM
    thanks for your help patches and now i know why in the forums they say "ASK PATCHES"
    06-07-09 11:28 PM
    to elaborate on your wi-fi question, no CDMA berries have wi-fi currently. there are some rumored to have wi-fi, the storm had it until the very last minute before it was sent to testing, then was removed by RIM.

there is some technical reasons why they don't have it. all you need to know is you gain wi-fi, lose GPS, or lose some other function. or battery life/device function suffers. something along those lines.

glad to help
    06-07-09 11:32 PM
    why do people say that verizon cripples there phones
    If you look at Verizon's non-smart phones, you'll notice they all share a common GUI front end (in terms of function). It "limits" the number of entries for a contact (like two "work" numbers, two "mobile", two "email", no address, etc). The menu sequences are more or less, the same.

With that, it may limit what the phone was originally designed to do. Sometimes, VZW locked the Bluetooth abilities too, such as not allowing OBX, but allowing BT headsets.

So, compared to an "unlocked" GSM phone, these VZW phones are "locked" down.

To VZWs credit, this made it super easy for people to switch phones with minimal learning curve, back-up contacts, and have seamless service. Also, VZW has been broadening the "packaging" of the UI, so it doesn't look the same from device to device. It also made it very easy to trouble-shoot.

What does the future hold for the non-smartphones? I don't know, I've heard rumors that VZW does have a plan which steers them away from this common GUI scheme... ...
    06-08-09 07:50 AM
    They've already started moving away from the common GUI. Take a look at the env and compare it to the Moto Rapture (I think that's its name). Different interfaces. With the advent of so many touch screen phones, it was almost a necessity.

As for other things that are crippled, many will also talk about the GPS on many BBs being locked down and only being able to be used with BBMaps or VZNavigator. There are PLENTY of threads on this already.

06-08-09 08:45 AM
    most of the crippling is with dumb phones... also a lot of it is things in Verizon's past. VZ used to cripple the use of MP3 music as ring tones so that u have to buy it from their V-CAST site. Same for restricting bluetooth file transfer. They didn't want their paid wallpapers and ringtones to be transfered btwn devices and want u to pay for them again and again per devices... GPS is the current issue related to last years blackberries. So far the cries have worked and it looks like blackberries are coming standard with dual mode GPS
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 06-08-09 at 06:27 PM.
    06-08-09 06:22 PM
    I'm not huge on dumb phones but smart phones wise the glaring example of crippled points to the touch pro with its loss of ram and gutting of media capabilities (at least that can be regained with flashing a rom) but that is more for power user compared to the average person dabbling with the smarties.
    06-08-09 09:27 PM
    I'm not huge on dumb phones but smart phones wise the glaring example of crippled points to the touch pro with its loss of ram and gutting of media capabilities (at least that can be regained with flashing a rom) but that is more for power user compared to the average person dabbling with the smarties.
    The VZW Touch Pro has less RAM to reach a price point and to not cross into the realm of the Omnia & Storm. They felt that they didn't need yet another high-end device.

I have also heard there was some appeasement of Samsung in the decision. I can believe this part, as HTC is apparently not VZW's favorite manufacturer.

06-08-09 11:18 PM
    That may be because htc devices are decidedly mediocre.

06-08-09 11:25 PM
    once upon a time they crippled their phones. its less of an issue now though.

i had a motorola v710 a few phones ago and that was a huge example of a crippled phone. it had so much potential when motorola first released it, then vzw locked down the bluetooth protocols except for using a headset and you couldnt put music or ringtones on it unless you downloaded/purchased them.

im sure there were more, but thats the jist of it. lately they have been better though.
    06-09-09 12:25 AM
    That may be because htc devices are decidedly mediocre.
    That is an understatement!

I didn't want to start that, as there are a few HTC fans running around here & I didn't want to start another peeing match.

But count me as another HTC detractor.

06-09-09 12:35 AM

I didn't want to start that, as there are a few HTC fans running around here & I didn't want to start another peeing match.

You don't offend me at all with your HTC comments, but if you take HTC away there wouldn't be much windows mobile. It seems like they sell by far the most winmo devices.
    06-09-09 12:49 AM
    The VZW Touch Pro has less RAM to reach a price point and to not cross into the realm of the Omnia & Storm. They felt that they didn't need yet another high-end device.

IMO the touch pro is higher end then both the Omnia and the Storm. Why take a higher end device and try to "detune" it so it won't get in the way of lower performing phones It seems like it would cost more to change the Touch Pro for one carrier then to just "grab it out of htc stock and sell it"

But hey what do I know lol.
    06-09-09 12:56 AM

The only thing I hate worse is palm.
    06-09-09 06:26 AM
    because verizon used to shut off GPS on phones and such unless you purchased there software things like that were considered "crippling" there phones..
    06-09-09 06:46 AM
    Check this out. Really happy to see VZ going this direction

Verizon’s HTC Touch Pro gets firmware update, GPS unlock and Visual Voicemail included : Boy Genius Report

06-09-09 12:00 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD