I searched everywhere to see if anyone had this problem but I didn't find anything that was exactly like this...

So I was switching OS's from the Bell Motility .419 back to Verizon's official .328. Having "unofficially" switched OS's multiple times, this was nothing new to me. I downloaded and installed the Verizon OS on my computer and went through the App loader to put it on my Storm. About half way through the install, a window popped up saying that my phone was disconnected and to reconnect it to complete the install. I hadn't touched the phone, usb cord, or computer, so I was rather confused. I played with it for a bit more, but ended up just getting a message saying "Load software 507." The next morning, I took it to Big Red and they gave me a new Storm. Problem solved, right? Nope. I plugged it into my computer to load my contacts and settings onto the new phone and it rebooted the phone. The phone would not stop rebooting. As soon as I plugged it in, a white screen popped up then it went into a never-ending reboot cycle. There's text on this white screen but it's too small to read and it disappears before I can even try to read it. When the status bar is full after the reboot and just before the Verizon screen pops up, it reboots again...and again...and again...

So the next day, I went back to Verizon and told them my problem. The rep could have cared less about my problem and gave me a DM CD and told me to uninstall, run a virus scan, and reinstall. I told him there weren't any viruses because i JUST reloaded Windows (and DM 5.0 and everything else) onto my PC(s). I did it to humor him and same thing...endless reboot cycle.

I went back later in the day and told the lady my story. She gave me another new Storm. This time, I had my computer with me and plugged it in for her to see what happened. Same thing, endless reboot cycle. She put me on the phone with tech support. I told him the whole story and he asked what I had tried. I had already tried everything he suggested even before I got to the store, so he was out of ideas. He asked a few of his coworkers and one person had a customer with the same problem. This customer also had a Storm. After 2 1/2 hours on the phone with him, his supervisor gave him permission to just give me a different model. I went with the Tour and I'm waiting for the package to arrive.

After trying to plug my Storm(s) into 4 computers with different cables, I still had the same problem. I even plugged my friend's Storm into my computer and his worked fine. I still have no idea what is causing this problem and I'm quite curious since the tech didn't even know what to do. I'll let y'all know how things work out with the Tour when it shows up. I'm just amazed that with 3 Storms, 3 cables, and 4 computers, it still reboots over and over again. It can't be my computer because another Storm worked just fine with it. Crazy...Thanks for listening!
    01-26-10 09:14 PM
    Sounds like the backup, or the OS install on the PC got corrupted. We could have helped you get it fixed without exchanging any devices, BUT I'm glad you are now happy.

I'm gonna move this to the Verizon Forum
    01-26-10 09:52 PM
    Yeah I've seen this quite a bit lately with customers. Normally like PK said is due to a corrupted backup file. OBVIOUSLY since when you load your contacts and settings it causes a problem.

What I have customers do is reload the OS via App Loader (also wiping 3rd party apps and info) and then restore certain items like Address Book and Calendar instead of the entire backup file. If a wipe doesn't work, then I just walk them through BBSAK wipe to 507. At that point the OS will be installed.

Shouldn't take more than an hour with the right tech.
    01-26-10 11:11 PM
    I didn't even get to the point where I could try to load the backup file. As soon as I plugged it into the usb port, it would reboot. Would this be the cause even if the backup file was deleted or never installed on that computer?
    01-26-10 11:40 PM
    Tech support can't help you if you lie to them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 07:07 AM
    I wouldnt say he is lying... Not sure how the computer would cause it to immediately go into a reboot cycle.. never seen or heard of that before. I also concur that its most likely a corrupt Backup or OS file. Not sure what else to tell yea.
    But right tech support rep would have been able to fix the issue lickity split or so...
    01-28-10 07:56 AM
    Not sure how I could be lying when I had my computer in the store and all of the reps were gathered around watching since they had never heard of the problem.
    01-28-10 08:07 AM
    So the next day, I went back to Verizon and told them my problem. The rep could have cared less about my problem and gave me a DM CD and told me to uninstall, run a virus scan, and reinstall. I told him there weren't any viruses because i JUST reloaded Windows (and DM 5.0 and everything else) onto my PC(s). I did it to humor him and same thing...endless reboot cycle.

01-28-10 08:21 AM
    Ok, that was the first time. If you keep reading...(I don't have enough posts to quote, but...) "I went back later in the day and told the lady my story. She gave me another new Storm. This time, I had my computer with me and plugged it in for her to see what happened."

I wasn't talking to tech support the first time that day.
    01-28-10 08:30 AM
    Sounds like something very fishy is going. Once it goes into reboot cycle though. it stays there until you reload so its not going to change by how many computers or cords you use. Something is very corrupt and I will restate that its corrupt something whether its drivers, dtm, the backup, or the OS file.
    SOMETHING is definately wrong and I would remove ALL variables.
    01-28-10 09:08 AM
    As soon as I unplugged it, the reboot cycle stopped and the phone worked fine...minus not having any contacts, calendar appointments, or any of my previous settings/apps. I thought the backup might have been corrupt or something like that, so I deleted it. It would start rebooting even before I tried to load the backup file. If that was the cause of the problem, I feel like it would only cause the reboot cycle if I tried to load it or had already loaded it.
    01-28-10 09:13 AM
    OOOooooh... hmm... thats a different animal...
    o_0
    odd... and I'd probobly be escalating directly to RIM on that one.
    yikes... I dont think I'd like that very much.
    01-28-10 09:21 AM
    Yea, that's why I was horribly confused about this. As soon as I plugged it in, it would reboot. I borrowed my friend's storm and it was fine and I could run DM and whatever else I wanted.
    01-28-10 10:28 AM
    It was probably something corrupt with your mass storage mode. Did u try disabling it? I don't know why they'd give you a different model its basically the same os.

01-28-10 10:57 AM
    I never thought about that... good call bum...
    Thats why its so good to have multiple people look at some things.
    Its a head scratcher. But thats why I'd delete everything and start from scratch. drivers, dtm, everything.
    Thats what I would do with my berry if this were to happen to me.
    01-28-10 11:39 AM
    I have the SAME exact thing happening but with the curve 2 (8530) I have had 4 other berries work fine, but for some reason when I plug a curve 2 into my usb port it goes into reboot mode...but my tour works fine, my storm 2s work fine, my old curve works fine....hoping we can find an answer as I need to back my wifes curve 2 up every once in a while.
    01-31-10 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD