About a week ago I was messing around on my phone outside in the frigid cold when I noticed a small crack on the upper right hand corner of the screen. Now I am not sure if this is due to the pressure applied during the cold or what but I had never seen it before. What I am wondering is if this would be covered under the warranty? The crack has now spread across the entire screen. Now I feel like it may be considered damage and an insurance issue but I also feel like it could be considered a manufacturer flaw since I was only using the phone as is was intended to be used and my pushing on the screen caused the crack and the spreading of it. I just want to know what you think before I go into the store so I know whether to fight for the warranty replacement or not. Thanks all!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GeoffTK; 01-07-10 at 12:25 PM.
    01-07-10 12:16 PM
    About a week ago I was messing around on my phone outside in the frigid cold when I noticed a small crack on the upper right hand corner of the screen. Now I am not sure if this is due to the pressure applied during the cold or what but I had never seen it before. What I am wondering is if this would be covered under the warranty? The crack has now spread across the entire screen

The warranty does not cover the crack. You can replace for a 50 fee though.
    01-07-10 12:25 PM
    Yes that is physical damage which isn't covered under warranty, get pay your deductible
    01-07-10 12:27 PM
    About a week ago I was messing around on my phone outside in the frigid cold when I noticed a small crack on the upper right hand corner of the screen. Now I am not sure if this is due to the pressure applied during the cold or what but I had never seen it before. What I am wondering is if this would be covered under the warranty? The crack has now spread across the entire screen. Now I feel like it may be considered damage and an insurance issue but I also feel like it could be considered a manufacturer flaw since I was only using the phone as is was intended to be used and my pushing on the screen caused the crack and the spreading of it. I just want to know what you think before I go into the store so I know whether to fight for the warranty replacement or not. Thanks all!

I believe there are safe tempeture ranges for using the device. Usually any extreme temps may cause harm to the device either internally or externally.. apparently yours was external. If this is the case, you using it in colder then advised weather, it would definately not be covered by warrenty. However under normal conditions simply pressing the screen will not cause it to crack.
    Last edited by OldChristine; 01-07-10 at 03:16 PM.
    01-07-10 12:54 PM
    Alright so it looks like I should be going into the store with intentions to pay the 50$ deductible. Maybe I was pressing to hard or maybe th crack happened in my pocket. All I know is that tiny crack quickly turned into a crac across the whole screen from use after the initial crack appeared. So I would suggest getting any initial cracks fixed up right away

01-07-10 01:10 PM
    Alright so it looks like I should be going into the store with intentions to pay the 50$ deductible. Maybe I was pressing to hard or maybe th crack happened in my pocket. All I know is that tiny crack quickly turned into a crac across the whole screen from use after the initial crack appeared. So I would suggest getting any initial cracks fixed up right away

Asurion is a 3rd party company. You will be paying your deductible through them directly not through the store. They will overnight you a phone, you wont be able to get it in the store.
    01-07-10 01:56 PM
    Asurion is a 3rd party company. You will be paying your deductible through them directly not through the store. They will overnight you a phone, you wont be able to get it in the store.
    But he can pay the 50 replacement fee thru VZW, and avoid the insurance. The fru fee is for out of warranty phones or cracked screens. But the OP can not do a insurance claim at the store, that is correct.
    01-07-10 03:16 PM
    But he can pay the 50 replacement fee thru VZW, and avoid the insurance. The fru fee is for out of warranty phones or cracked screens. But the OP can not do a insurance claim at the store, that is correct.
    If there is insurance on the account, the claim must be filed. In the store thats how it works. If you dont have insurance an EXCEPTION can be made to charge the 50 dollar fru fee. It is at manager descretion and not proactively offered.
    01-07-10 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD