Upgraded from a normal brick to a shiny BB Tour about a year ago and at first, loved my new freedom and capability for the longest time.

As of late, as exposure to new devices and systems add up, I've become frustrated with the main things I use BB for: google calendar, gmail, browsing, tasks and msging. I like the simplicity of BB and (usually) the stability, so while I feel my productivity is efficient, I feel like my browsing experience and entertainment is lacking compared to what's available out there.

I've got an upgrade coming soon and am thinking about jumping to another platform - is VZN getting a new BB that is worth waiting for? If not, is there a new Droid that I should wait for or shoot for now? What will I miss? Why should I stay?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 10:43 AM
    We can not convince you to stay, it is a personal choice. We can not dictate to you what decisions to make, or how to use your phone.

But, take a search through the forums, there are threads on upcoming devices and over all customer experiences with different devices.

There are some good write ups from android users and iphone users alike.

Good luck on the decision.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-19-10 10:49 AM
    I will not convince you to stay...I will push you to go androiddddd!
    11-19-10 10:53 AM
    Hmmm...let me see. If you like truncated email, slow web-browsing, constant resets, stuck trackballs, slow processor, small screen, monthly, even weekly BIS outages, slow OS updates, new devices that look like the old devices, horrible app store...the list goes on and on, if this is what you like please stay. Blackberry is exactly what you need if you like all of the above.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    11-19-10 12:07 PM
    Hmmm...let me see. If you like truncated email, slow web-browsing, constant resets, stuck trackballs, slow processor, small screen, monthly, even weekly BIS outages, slow OS updates, new devices that look like the old devices, horrible app store...the list goes on and on, if this is what you like please stay. Blackberry is exactly what you need if you like all of the above.
    I cannot like this enough!!! Well said Super!
    11-19-10 12:14 PM
    If you can't convince yourself then don't bother with a BlackBerry anymore.
    11-19-10 12:14 PM
    Supermario pretty much summed up my feelings over the past while...I was just worried I was suffering from the-grass-is-greener syndrome and had overlooked some major keystone in how I use my BB and how it could help me/work better! I'll keep my eye on the forums and see what will be my best next step.

11-19-10 03:17 PM
    Evaluate your needs. If you want better web browsing, go with Android. If you don't mind slower web browsing, but good email and calendar, go with a BlackBerry. I have both and like each one for different reasons. My daily carry is a BlackBerry.

11-19-10 07:34 PM
    Puhleeze We could go down the list for each phone manufacturer. Besides I like the app store and a bigger screen means a bulkier device.

11-19-10 11:55 PM

As of late, as exposure to new devices and systems add up, I've become frustrated with the main things I use BB for: google calendar, gmail, browsing, tasks and msging. I like the simplicity of BB and (usually) the stability, so while I feel my productivity is efficient, I feel like my browsing experience and entertainment is lacking compared to what's available out there.

I've got an upgrade coming soon and am thinking about jumping to another platform - is VZN getting a new BB that is worth waiting for? If not, is there a new Droid that I should wait for or shoot for now? What will I miss? Why should I stay?

You don't get points for being LOYAL to a particular brand whether it's a phone.. a Computer or even a Car.
    if you feel you'll be better with a different platform.. then go for it..
    you have 30 days to try any device..
    i strongly suggest you enjoy that.
    11-20-10 12:20 AM
    Yeah I'm going to echo the Android suggestion.
    11-20-10 12:56 AM
    Hey guys, I am trying out droid 2 right now and will probably stick with it.

I had a Storm and while I definitely miss some things about Blackberry I don't think I want to swap my droid 2 for a 9650 (although I considered it, I my have gone with a Storm 2 refresh if they didn't cancel it)

But what happens to my BIS info? I tried to activate my old Storm to use BBM and got a message saying to call VZW and also some nonsense about screwing up my insurance.

Is my Blackberry info nuked now if I did go back to a Berry (BBM contacts etc.)? Does VZW have to coordinate with RIM for me to activate my old berry and have BIS work?
    11-22-10 04:12 PM
    Hey guys, I am trying out droid 2 right now and will probably stick with it.

I had a Storm and while I definitely miss some things about Blackberry I don't think I want to swap my droid 2 for a 9650 (although I considered it, I my have gone with a Storm 2 refresh if they didn't cancel it)

But what happens to my BIS info? I tried to activate my old Storm to use BBM and got a message saying to call VZW and also some nonsense about screwing up my insurance.

Is my Blackberry info nuked now if I did go back to a Berry (BBM contacts etc.)? Does VZW have to coordinate with RIM for me to activate my old berry and have BIS work?
    After 30 days of inactivity, the BIS account suspends itself. During this time none of the information is deleted but would need to be reconnected by your carrier once you want to reactivate it. I am not sure how long information stays saved after it is suspended though. The insurance part is because you can not add insurance to a phone that was not just purchased. Having a rep do the swap for you can make it easier.
    11-22-10 04:20 PM
    Easy, staying with a BB will make you appear intelligent and successful, as if you have a nice corner office overlooking all of the city. Drive a [insert luxury car name] and have a very attractive [insert ethnicity] husband or wife.

With a BB you are the leader of your self, with an Android/iPhone you are just a sheep.
    11-22-10 06:03 PM
    I would consider it more sheep-like to blindly follow a phone manufacturer (RIM by the way ) that has badly fallen behind.

11-22-10 08:58 PM
    RIM is my preference but they seem like the last dog in the race and their tongue is hanging out.
    11-22-10 09:04 PM
    If you want something rite now the Droid Pro is kinda a good mix of bb and droid. It is s global phone with a keyboard similar to the 9650 but also has a touchscreen, runs android and has a good camera and fast processor 1gig I think. With the success of android besides the rumored Storm 3 it doesn't really look like RIM is launching anything good for verizon anytime soon.

11-22-10 09:18 PM
    Honestly you shouldn't be asking for convincing to stay with Blackberry. If it works for you great but everyone has their own preference of phone and has different needs out of a phone's functionality
    11-22-10 09:20 PM
    As a crackberry addict, had the Tour for almost two years, I will admit that I as of late became VERY bored with the web browsing. My job stop allowing company email to go to our blackberry one of the main reasons for me sticking with BB.
    So I made the leap and bought the Droid on Sunday.. all I can say is WOW... and I am still learning about the phone, Im still in awe that I can watch videos such as you tube videos, and the web browsing is like having a laptop in your pocket!
    I am not putting down on BB, I was eyeing the Pro even before it came out and was SO torn, didnt want to leave BB so it was between the Bold and Pro and this is the right choice for me.
    the Pro does have a nice Calendar feature (I am yet to use it) still playing with all the other stuff..
    Maybe BB will come out with something similar in a few years and will go back to BB but until then will love playing with my DROID PRO...

Former Blackberry addict ; )
    11-23-10 06:14 AM
    If you need to have various different e-mail's pushed to your device then Blackberry is the best. Everything I do give the other competition a hand. I am staying with Blackberry because I need to access more than 1 email account, I have family in other countries that use BBM and no matter what anyone says, nobody comes close to the keyboard. There are similar designs but its just something about that Blackberry keyboard that makes it very good to text. Try different phones and find the one that meets your wants and needs
    11-23-10 07:40 AM
    As a crackberry addict, had the Tour for almost two years, I will admit that I as of late became VERY bored with the web browsing. My job stop allowing company email to go to our blackberry one of the main reasons for me sticking with BB.
    So I made the leap and bought the Droid on Sunday.. all I can say is WOW... and I am still learning about the phone, Im still in awe that I can watch videos such as you tube videos, and the web browsing is like having a laptop in your pocket!
    I am not putting down on BB, I was eyeing the Pro even before it came out and was SO torn, didnt want to leave BB so it was between the Bold and Pro and this is the right choice for me.
    the Pro does have a nice Calendar feature (I am yet to use it) still playing with all the other stuff..
    Maybe BB will come out with something similar in a few years and will go back to BB but until then will love playing with my DROID PRO...

Former Blackberry addict ; )
    Are you experiencing any of the problems that this Motorola DROID Pro Review | BGR | Boy Genius Report discusses about the Droid Pro. I am interested in the device, especially when the review said it will be the first Android with data encryption come early 2011. There's the speaker voice quality issue and evidently, if you swipe your screen from left to right or right to left, it won't work fully. Then if you move your thumb slowly on the screen from either side, the screen starts to twitch. Read the Screen section of the review for details on it. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on since you got the device.

I love this quote from the review... On almost every level, the DROID Pro outperforms the BlackBerry smartphones that Verizon Wireless carries. Don't feel bad for leaving BlackBerry behind. If you got Sprint or ATT or T-Mobile, there's still hope that your BlackBerry is better than a Droid!
    11-23-10 10:50 AM
    Are you experiencing any of the problems that this Motorola DROID Pro Review | BGR | Boy Genius Report discusses about the Droid Pro. I am interested in the device, especially when the review said it will be the first Android with data encryption come early 2011. There's the speaker voice quality issue and evidently, if you swipe your screen from left to right or right to left, it won't work fully. Then if you move your thumb slowly on the screen from either side, the screen starts to twitch. Read the Screen section of the review for details on it. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on since you got the device.

I love this quote from the review... On almost every level, the DROID Pro outperforms the BlackBerry smartphones that Verizon Wireless carries. Don't feel bad for leaving BlackBerry behind. If you got Sprint or ATT or T-Mobile, there's still hope that your BlackBerry is better than a Droid!
    I am NOT experiencing any twitching?? After reading your post I kept switching to see and its perfectly fine. Regarding the speaker question, do you mean the Speakerphone? to be honest I only used the speaker for one day until I got around to pairing up my bluetooh, and so far my call quality is excellent, I always had a problem with my bluetooth and call quality and my tour so much that I resorted to also having a wired headset in the car.
    My call quality has to be EXCELLENT as I am a visiting nurse and I speak to patients, doctors, surgeons throughout the day!

I just discovered that the phone also has a digital keyboard, I really wanted a hard blackberry keyboard thats why the pro so perfect for me but LOVE the digital option also! It just keeps getting better!!

The only gripe I had or thought I had was the battery life, first day off use it went dead quickly so I stormed into Verizon and they realized I had many power draining features on such as GPS, NO standby option on display etc..., I changed some settings and it gave me double the battery life...

I will be honest the keyboard is NOT like a blackberry, its more condensed, hard to get used to but I am, after your fingers are conditioned to a certain keyboard you have to train them to get used to new keyboard...

Will update on the good and bad!

Attachment 77143 One of my 7 Screens!! Still working on them...
    Last edited by jany1025; 11-23-10 at 10:55 PM.
    11-23-10 09:20 PM
    i have high respects for Motorola when it comes to signal/reception..
    my old sturdy motorola razor V3 is has been my companion when we're overseas..
    Motorola and Android.. that's the combination that will rival Apple.
    11-23-10 09:23 PM
    If, after reading thousands of posts from virtually every perspective possible, ranging from the ridiculous to the honest, and you cannot make up your own mind, then you're better off throwing a dart at the wall. Really, c'mon now.
    11-23-10 09:33 PM
    After 30 days of inactivity, the BIS account suspends itself. During this time none of the information is deleted but would need to be reconnected by your carrier once you want to reactivate it. I am not sure how long information stays saved after it is suspended though. The insurance part is because you can not add insurance to a phone that was not just purchased. Having a rep do the swap for you can make it easier.
    Thanks supermario.....

I reactivated my storm by calling, the rep told me its no problem to switch back and forth and the only reason I couldn't do it with just *228 was because it switches from smartphone to blackberry in the billing but its the same price so no matter and that I can do it on the verizon website without having to call.

Cool thing is the droid 2 still does practically everything over wi fi.....

11-23-10 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD