I live in east texas, a former Alltel customer, still on an Alltel plan with a curve for me and an LG for my son.
    Since verizon has taken over my service is terrible. When calling my phone people constantly get this message "your call can not be completed as dialed",after many attempts you might get thru to me. My sons phone will not even work anymore, he can text but having a real conversation is impossible. cant even begin to understand what anyone is saying on his phone.
    Problem here is this is my Business line,Missing calls is costing me big time!
    Made many calls to tech support, i have always been very nice. My last call i got a very helpfull tech who said they were having some conversion issues. he recommended i switch to a verizon Phone and a verizon plan and that this should fix the issue. He offered to transfer me to customer care.After holding 45mins they told me i had to purchase verizon equipment at retail price. I could get a new curve for like 199.00, after a 100.00 rebate and an el cheapo flip phone for my son for free. Also the only Plan close to my Alltel plan is 60.00 more a month. i asked if this was the best they could offer me. lady said she would check with her manager and explain the situation. 15mins later she came back and sorry thats all we can do.

Went to my local store to a guy i know very well and he exchanged my phone for an 8330m,, he said only difference was how the network sees my phone but that was all he could do. I cant tell any difference at all,,still hardly works. Anyone heard of this? I have tried to be nice but i am very frustrated at this point,,not sure i could be nice if I have to call in again. I have 9 months left on my contract but am considering paying an ETF and going somewhere else. Pretty crappy way to treat a customer. I think i have been treated better by the kids at Mcdonalds at this point.!
    Appreciate any thought ya'll may have on this..
    08-08-09 07:52 PM
    You are not alone as other folks around the country are experiencing the same thing. It is possible that a hybrid PRL could fix your issues, but I've been told it cannot be pushed to a VZW phone on an Alltel plan. Hopefully, some of the VZW gurus on this site can can give us some sage advice. "Be patient" gets a little old but the fact is VZW has the best network available. VZW also seems unprepared do deal with the situations such as yours and mine. When convergence is complete in all markets I think these issues will be solved. Correct, VZW?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 10:17 PM
    Call back and ask them to move your renewal date so that you can move over. This is what they finally did for me. I can go online to myverizon acct and now upgrade for the 2 year price. The part that sucks is loosing the plan, that is where I am at at this current moment. I am almost convinced to just move to vzw plan and equip, but I know I am giving up a good thing. On the other hand, I am just like you are now and paying for a service that I am having a ton of problems using.
    08-08-09 10:37 PM
    I am not sure i understand the issue. I thought verizon and Alltel used the same technology? Isnt that why they purchased Alltel? I can do an upgrade and start a new contract no problem. problem is i do not think it is right that i have to buy a new phone, especially for 199.00, after rebates and some 50.00 loyalty deal. Then there is the plan issue,, i have a 1200 a month shared family plan for 99.99, closest thing Verizon has is a 1400 minutes family plan for 159.99, throw some tax in there and it is almost 75 bucks a month more. Just dosent seem right to me. Either that or I just be patient untilt hey get the issues resolved and who knows how long that will be or if they ever will.!
    I just had a feeling this whole merger deal wasnt goin to work out for everyone.

I have been shopping other carriers, might just pay the ETF and go somewhere else.
    08-09-09 11:37 PM
    Really to tell you the truth - 75% of the calls I take seem like it is due to the conversion.

Many people say since July 12th, but that isn't even really possible. Nothing changed on July 12th except your billing.

VZW bought Alltel back in January and changes have been made since. I get so tired of people coming up with the July 12th story.

Your call cannot be completed as dial usually means you aren't dialing the area code first. Might seem like a hassle to some, but how many times do you take your phone outside your local area? Not to mention there are many different variables inside your local area that determine if it will be labeled as a local call or not. This is not wireline service, so you will have to chance of your call being routed differently and requiring area code.

A VZW device will not really fix your issue. You will still be using the same Alltel towers in most cases. Especially in east Texas.

If you are unable to have good enough service at your home (billing address) and there is no resolution, then don't plan on paying the ETF as it will be waived by tech support.

When I answer calls like this I can't help but side with the customer. WHY pay for a service that you can't seem to use? Although there are some customers who just complain to get out of their contract and when I ask them how they talked 4,000 minutes last month with crap service they have nothing to say.

I have also found that customers experiencing problems "since July 12th" never really lived in a good area to begin with. Some live in trailers in a fringe area and are determined to have a resolution - when I'm looking at our Alltel systems that show what coverage has always been like there.
    08-10-09 12:29 AM
    Really to tell you the truth - 75% of the calls I take seem like it is due to the conversion.

Many people say since July 12th, but that isn't even really possible. Nothing changed on July 12th except your billing.

VZW bought Alltel back in January and changes have been made since. I get so tired of people coming up with the July 12th story.

Your call cannot be completed as dial usually means you aren't dialing the area code first. Might seem like a hassle to some, but how many times do you take your phone outside your local area? Not to mention there are many different variables inside your local area that determine if it will be labeled as a local call or not. This is not wireline service, so you will have to chance of your call being routed differently and requiring area code.

A VZW device will not really fix your issue. You will still be using the same Alltel towers in most cases. Especially in east Texas.

If you are unable to have good enough service at your home (billing address) and there is no resolution, then don't plan on paying the ETF as it will be waived by tech support.

When I answer calls like this I can't help but side with the customer. WHY pay for a service that you can't seem to use? Although there are some customers who just complain to get out of their contract and when I ask them how they talked 4,000 minutes last month with crap service they have nothing to say.

I have also found that customers experiencing problems "since July 12th" never really lived in a good area to begin with. Some live in trailers in a fringe area and are determined to have a resolution - when I'm looking at our Alltel systems that show what coverage has always been like there.
    tsguy52...thanks for pointing out the former Alltell customers who have come out of the woodwork since July 12 with problems that seemed to start on that date. I can certainly understand your frustrations in dealing with these issues. However, I would have to ask the question "What and when is the fix for those of us who began to experience a degradation of service once the "new" VZW PRLs were pushed to our phones. I can honestly say, and have stated so in several threads, that the signal at my house became degraded during this initial transition phase. My roaming became unreliable but got better when PRL 40052 came a long. My service at home is still unreliable, with signal fluctuations from -90dBm to -120dBm with garbled conversations and dropped calls.

So far...my attempts to deal with poor reception at home has taken a lot of my time, talking to retail personnel and speaking with CSR over the phone. My goal is to be able to pick up the VZW antenna that is 7/10 of a mile from my house and keep my Alltel plan. Is this an unreasonable expectation on my part?

A VZW tech came to my address (I was not home) and reported that there is nothing wrong with the signal. Wrong! Hybrid PRLs have been pushed to my phone to no avail. The hybrid never got to my phone. My Alltel branded phone was switched to a VZW branded phone because it was determined the radio was bad in the Alltel unit because of the signal test. I would have thought my signal would be bad everywhere with a bad radio, but I went along. The signal with the VZW branded phone is just as bad from home...no difference. The latest service ticket was written to deal with the fact my phone can't receive a hybrid PRL. I have asked, "When will tower convergence be complete in Tallahassee, FL?....nobody knows....or they won't say. I have been told that a Sprint antenna was the source of my former good signal.

My last question is this: Is it possible, now that I have a VZW branded phone, to give me a PRL so I can again use my phone from home (using the VZW omni-directional antenna that is 7/10 mile away) and restore reliability...and still keep my Alltel plan?
    08-10-09 06:36 PM
    First, as an Agent, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having. We, both Indirect and Direct agents do not like the fact that you have poor service. That being said, have u tried a network extender? It just might give you enough boost to improve your service

It L I V E S !!!
    08-10-09 11:59 PM
    First, as an Agent, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having. We, both Indirect and Direct agents do not like the fact that you have poor service. That being said, have u tried a network extender? It just might give you enough boost to improve your service

Thanks for the response. I inquired about the network extender, but was told it is only available if you have a VZW device w/ a VZW PRL. If they just gave me a VZW PRL to go along w/ the VZW phone they gave me...I'm there, and probably would not need the NE.
    08-11-09 01:41 PM
    Not to mention the issue of telling someone to spend a couple hundred dollars for a femto when there are towers close.

Now is your coverage issue inside and/or outside? Does it improve considerably by just moving a bit down the street? I am trying to rule out structure anomalies in your coverage area.

08-11-09 03:21 PM

Yes, We have 10 digit dialing everywhere in Texas, and yes i am smart enough to know when to dial one.. have tried it from every phone i could in about a 50 mile radius, local call or long distance about 50% of the time it tells me " Your number can not be completed as dialed". Have tried it today, exactly 19 times from here at my office, a local call, and 10 of those 19 i got that message. The other 9 it rang like it should. My wife tried me this mornign and said she tried 4 times and it finally rang.

I can tell you exactly when all the trouble started,, back when they sent me that text message telling me to dial *22890 or my phone would not work,, or whatever that number was is when the trouble started. i think that might have been before The July 12th billing deal. I do know that my service has changed since then, bigtime too. I never had a problem with dropped calls or anything else before. There are even 2 dead spots between home and the office. if i am on the phone my call gets dropped in the same spot everytime, no matter which way i am going. Never happened before the merger
    I actually went to see my Buddy at the Verizon store this morning and talked to him about replacing my phone with a Verizon phone. Had another Buddy Give me a 8330, verizon Branded phone for free to see what they would say about replacing my alltel 8330 with. Of course they can not replace my Alltel 8330 with a Verizon 8330 without me going to a Verizon plan. He even got the manager out there and he apologized but said they will not let them do it. I asked if i called in from home how would they know it was a Verizon Phone. he said somethign about the number, esn maybe?
    Sounds like they are determined to get me off that Alltel plan one way or the other.!
    It chaps my **** that i have to pay more for a plan, buy a phone and all that but then there are also no Guarantees it will be any better service either.
    Why does it seem like anything to do with a cell phone is a pain in the butt? LOL
    08-11-09 04:07 PM
    Not to mention the issue of telling someone to spend a couple hundred dollars for a femto when there are towers close.

Now is your coverage issue inside and/or outside? Does it improve considerably by just moving a bit down the street? I am trying to rule out structure anomalies in your coverage area.

Hi Twins...thanks for the response. I live at the top of a modest hill with the cell tower at the bottom of the hill. North Florida is "hilly" but just enough to get ones heart pumping during a brisk walk. There are a lot of trees. Performance improves slightly when I go outside, but I have still dropped calls OS. A "real" VZW phone works fine at my house. I am sure structure anomalies affected my Alltel signal periodically, but never this bad or consistent.
    08-11-09 04:10 PM
    Then it is probably a PRL issue. Either that or a phone issue - but this is your second device.

I wish I were home, as I could pull a PRL for you to download. Maybe one of the crack phone hacks here could do it.

08-11-09 05:07 PM
    Then it is probably a PRL issue. Either that or a phone issue - but this is your second device.

I wish I were home, as I could pull a PRL for you to download. Maybe one of the crack phone hacks here could do it.

Thanks...I really don't know a lot about these devices or how the systems work but I've learned a lot in the past several months. It has been my instinct that this is PRL related. I've read about using QPST to change the PRL but not sure about which version of QPST to use or which PRL. I updated an 8330 display in the store and recorded the SID and PRL info. I'm going to give the local VZW store one more shot at this and see what happens. I have been resolute in making VZW give me quality service with my Alltel plan. I might just cave and go the whole VZW route and be done with it. Meanwhile, I've got other battles to fight and a bottle of 25 yr old Balvenie to open. Cheers!
    08-11-09 05:36 PM
    I've got other battles to fight and a bottle of 25 yr old Balvenie to open. Cheers!
    Ack! I'll be right there to help you fight those battles! Nothing like a pair of warriors lubed up with a good Speyside.

Now - just how far are you from western Canada again?

08-11-09 05:48 PM

Nothing like a pair of warriors lubed up with a good Speyside.

Aye, mate! Have a good evening.
    08-11-09 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD